ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is my 1.2 so bloody slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 1.2 16v has done 100mph in 4th, (on my private runway) but it doesnt seem to have a limitter, just keeps going without bouncing back, have got to 115mph (after about 20mins) and it is scray as fook in my little clio,

was that on the m20 down hill towards the M26 junction. I've only managed 105mph before I s**t mesen and coasted back to 75. I really did think that the engine was going to implode that or the speedo neadle was going to snap off.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
can any one help me an tell me why my mk2 phase 1 only manages to do 90mph ok i know its a 1.2 8v an on an s plate, but surly it should sit around 100 no probs
i even get beat by 1.1 saxo's an as every clio driver know u dnt wanna be done by a saxo ( the clit car coz every C you next tuesday has got one )
can any body tell me where i can go to get it looked at or is there any thing i can do my self ? :dapprove:

Due to the lack of your basic English I could hardly understand sweet f**k all of that.

But the fact of the matter is, you have a 1.2, its not a rocket ship, it never will be. It will be cained by practically everything on the road. And a lot of the time the driver is the main factor of anything. The guy in the 1.1 was probably a better driver than you.

Is there anything you can do? Yes as a matter of fact...

1.Go and get a book on grammar. It will help you no end.
2.Save up and get a faster car and be content with what you have for the moment.

HTH :D

Nissan 350Z
can any one help me an tell me why my mk2 phase 1 only manages to do 90mph ok i know its a 1.2 8v an on an s plate, but surly it should sit around 100 no probs
i even get beat by 1.1 saxo's an as every clio driver know u dnt wanna be done by a saxo ( the clit car coz every C you next tuesday has got one )
can any body tell me where i can go to get it looked at or is there any thing i can do my self ? :dapprove:

Due to the lack of your basic English I could hardly understand sweet f**k all of that.

But the fact of the matter is, you have a 1.2, its not a rocket ship, it never will be. It will be cained by practically everything on the road. And a lot of the time the driver is the main factor of anything. The guy in the 1.1 was probably a better driver than you.

Is there anything you can do? Yes as a matter of fact...

1.Go and get a book on grammar. It will help you no end.
2.Save up and get a faster car and be content with what you have for the moment.

HTH :D

LMAO.

Also, a 1.1 saxo is definitely faster than a 1.2 8v clio... probably give a 1.2 16v a run for its money actually.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my mate has a 1.4 8v saxo and its pretty much identical to my 1.2 16v performance wise, he pulls on me from a standing start but if were both moving say 30-100mph its pretty much identical, so wouldnt think a 1.1 would give a 16v a run for its money, saying that tho his is standard mine isnt

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
I dont always get 120 out of it only when i'm on my own or with 1 other person and if the boot is empty, my driving is good :)

Ure driving on sunday was good babe, u can give me a lift any time :)

How about a lift from u adele sometime, wud love to sample ure driving too :)

White Sti Hatch
Same car but Y Reg got it up to 110 havent tryed since threw in an Induction kit prob slowed it down but it can go faster than 90 just kick the hell out of it

Nissan 350Z
my mate has a 1.4 8v saxo and its pretty much identical to my 1.2 16v performance wise, he pulls on me from a standing start but if were both moving say 30-100mph its pretty much identical, so wouldnt think a 1.1 would give a 16v a run for its money, saying that tho his is standard mine isnt

Yes it would. The 1.1 is not much slower than the 1.4 saxo actually. I've driven one, they are decently nippy...

But thats all, at the end of the day we are comparing very sluggish cars here.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
what "baby" have you got then?

If its anything other than a sport he is chatting the biggest pile of steaming dog s**te I have ever heard!

General
Production3 Oct 1998 to 1 Apr 2000 Length3970 mmWidth1690 mmHeight1420 mmWeight1060 kgFuel DeliveryFull sequential fuel injectionTransmissionManualGears5 Speed
Performance
Engine Size1796 ccCylinders40-60 mph7.5 sPower Output142 bhpValves16Torque174 Nm Top Speed127 mph
Practicality
Wheelbase2500 mmLuggage Capacity-Fuel Capacity50 LTurning Circle10 mUnbraked Towing Weight-Braked Towing Weight1000 kg
Costs
MPG37Insurance Group16Euro Emissions StandardIICO2 Emissions179 g/kmRoad Tax BandEClick here for road tax costsClick here for company car tax costs
Title.aspx

Equipment & optionsTechnical data for this modelMore about this model

Da

Less
couldn't be assed reading the whole thread but my 1.2 reaches 100 easily and I've once had it to 120 (all on my private racetrack) 90 should be no problem really.

Nissan 350Z
A BRM should at least get very close to 135 guys... my mate had a 25 GTI which could hit about 130+ and that was about 15 bhp down on a BRM.

Oh, and no f**king way will a 1.2 hit 120, LMFAO.

The top speed of a 1.6 is only about 118.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
A BRM should at least get very close to 135 guys... my mate had a 25 GTI which could hit about 130+ and that was about 15 bhp down on a BRM.

Oh, and no f**king way will a 1.2 hit 120, LMFAO.

The top speed of a 1.6 is only about 118.

Yeah its on a par to the 172 in terms of performance maby not the looks tho :)

Nissan 350Z
LOL :D

Wind your neck in pal.

Renault give the top speed as 106 mph, and you are telling me it will it 120. OK mate, whatever you say :D

Did I tell you my 182 will do 155 mph ?

Da

Less
my neck is fully wound in thankyou. But you're telling me that I'm lying about reaching 120 in my 1.2...why would I do that? What exactly have I got to prove? Believe me, don't believe me, either way I know what I achieved and fook Renault! ;)

Sorry Daz - but your 1.2 ain't ever going to do 120mph. Speedos lose accuracy the faster they go, only decent way you'll get a true reading of your cars speed, on a cheap budget will be a gps system, like a snooper. I'd say a ton tops. 1.2 16v maybe a little more, but seeing as I can't be arsed to read 6 pages i dunno whether u have an 8v or 16v.

Nissan 350Z
Why would you lie? I dont know... actually I dont think you are lying, just mistaken.

You will NOT reach 120 mph in a 1.2 with 75 bhp and the aerodynamics of a brick, its simple physics, it isnt possible.

You may reach an *indicated* 120 on a downhill gradient with a tailwind, but even then, you are probably at around 110 or just a touch more.

You are going to need about 110 - 120 bhp in a Clio to reach 120 mph. As evidenced by the 1.6 16v which does 118 mph with 110 bhp... are you seriously telling me a 1.2 will have a higher top speed?

Of course you arent... what you are now going to tell me is that, in the same way you think your 1.2 reaches a speed more than 10% higher than its claimed maximum, so will a 1.6, giving it a top speed of around 130 - 135 mph. On the same theory, therefore, an RS should be able to reach 155 mph, but we all know the only one that can do that is a V6 with 255 bhp!!

Da

Less
sorry, never driven any of the car's you've listed. I in turn never claimed to have a GPS verified speed of 120, all I initially stated is that my speedo read 120 when I was on the M62 last year. I make no claims about how accurate my speedo is, if it was actually 110 then fair enough, but neither you nor I can say how accurate my speedo is.
120 it read which is all I stated...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just for the record, i know of 2 172's that have hit the rev limiter in 5th which is just over 150mph i think (both members r on here)

ive seen a 1.6 16v do an indicated 130mph

Status
Not open for further replies.