ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wierdest electrical fault ever!!!

2002 DCi 65
i have just taken the standard Tape Player out of my Clio DCi and replaced with a Panasonic CD player

I bought a proper Panasonic ISO adapter that fit perfect and works fine.....BUT when i turn the igition on, the cd player just displays "MUTING 0".....HOWEVER....when i turn the sidelights on the cd player starts working as normal!!! i turn the lights off....the player goes back to "MUTING"....what the hell!!

has someone bodged the wiring or is this a common fault?

the old tape Player worked fine, no probs at all

any suggestions?

visualize whirled pe
The only time the stereo has anything to do with the lights is when the display is dipped when the lights are switched on. The pins in the connectors need to align with whatever comes out from the stereo end.

Maybe the wire which controls this function is interfering some how.

Technically the pins should line up to the correct wires as the plug is attached but some stereo's use different switching and you have to swap pins around.

2002 DCi 65
fella's i aint having you on!

i have wired in may stereo's and never seen this before! - i havent snipped or choppedany wires either on the car or on the ISO lead...

HOWEVER
somthing i should mention which i haven seen before is on the ISO lead the Red and Orange wire (normally Live and Memory) have a split connector between them,allowing them to be switched around if needed (these are the only 2 wires on the ISO that allow this (i havent sene this before) surely it cant be that?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
It sounds to me as if one of the wires on the ISO plug you've bought aren't in the right place for your model of car. If the feed which goes to the standard stereo to dip the display when the lights are on is infact feeding the wire which would mute your new stereo when a phone kit is wired into it that would cause something like this to happen. That would be the first place i'd start my investigations.

visualize whirled pe
It sounds to me as if one of the wires on the ISO plug you've bought aren't in the right place for your model of car. If the feed which goes to the standard stereo to dip the display when the lights are on is infact feeding the wire which would mute your new stereo when a phone kit is wired into it that would cause something like this to happen. That would be the first place i'd start my investigations.

Thats what I said. I would say this is the cause of the problem.

The wire arrangement you mention is probably the switch around between permanent live feed and switched. (ie you have to press power to shut down the stereo or turning ignition fully off shuts it down)

2002 DCi 65
FIXED!!

pulled the system out today, looked at it and saw the 2 least important wires - Blue (electric ariel) and Orange (illumination)

so, i cut the blue wire....same problem
So, i cut the orange wire!....BINGO stereo works now with the lights off and on! - how wierd!

the stereo is constantly lit up on the front anyway so no need for the illumination wire when the lights come on

it's working now

I'm happy

Chav Rocket
does your HU have a phone muting feature? some have a wire that mutes the stereo when you take a call. could have some how crossed that onto illumination send from the car.