ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WiFi router recommendations please

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Am getting fibre Internet installed at my house today.

In my workshop I have a cheap TP link repeater, it's wired directly into the HH5 in the house. Any recommendations for a fast repeater I can get for my workshop, I now work from home daily in my workshop. So spend most of the day video calling.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Is there something the current TP link unit isn't doing now that you need to be better?

Have you got a link to what you currently have so we can see the specs?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my internet speed in my workshop is a bit slow, when using MS teams it can be very crappy.

i currently have this

https://cpc.farnell.com/tp-link/tl-...-KWL&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!451507261429!!!network}!!&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZGYBhCEARIsAEUXITWWoC6-e7MYnWZ3UqnwKs-xkdthn1EpqkcPV0bZklPca2_IibOhSpMaAtzSEALw_wcB

if i do a speed test in the house i get 130mb download, if i do a speed test in the workshop i get 60mb. given there is a cable connecting the HH to my workshop, i am expecting better speed.

also BT have used one of my ports on the back of my HH5. i was using all 4, what do i need to get to give me more cat5 ports? third world problems, ive had to unplug my nowtv

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yup a basic switch is all you need to do that job :)

For the access point, your current one is wireless N so tops out at 450Mbps.

Looking at the TP link site here they do a newer wireless AC model (TL-WA1201): https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/

Now whether this is faster will depend on the device your connecting with.

If it’s an old device that can only connect on 2.4GHz then it’ll actually be slowe I think than your current one.

But if you can connect over 5GHz it should be quicker.

I think that’s right anyway, or I’ve just talked a load of b****cks.

I’m guessing you’re on the Fibre 100 package with the 150Mbps download?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yup a basic switch is all you need to do that job :)

For the access point, your current one is wireless N so tops out at 450Mbps.

Looking at the TP link site here they do a newer wireless AC model (TL-WA1201): https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/

Now whether this is faster will depend on the device your connecting with.

If it’s an old device that can only connect on 2.4GHz then it’ll actually be slowe I think than your current one.

But if you can connect over 5GHz it should be quicker.

I think that’s right anyway, or I’ve just talked a load of b****cks.

I’m guessing you’re on the Fibre 100 package with the 150Mbps download?
Yeah fibre 150.

Well my phone is dual band, not sure on my work laptop I'd have to check.

Think my cnc laptop is dual band it's only a few years old.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
No reason that currently Wireless AP shouldn't be fast enough for what your doing with it, especially given its hard wired to your existing router. sure something newer will give better performance but should still be more than enough for video calling, have you looked at the config to make sure its configured correctly? Log in and make sure wireless N is active, download Wi-Fi analyser on your phone and do a scan and see if there's any channel conflicts and if so, change it to a different channel.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
if i do a speed test in the house i get 130mb download, if i do a speed test in the workshop i get 60mb. given there is a cable connecting the HH to my workshop, i am expecting better speed.

Is that 60mb/s via the repeater which is wired to the router?

If so, it'll just be the repeater maxing out. No reason why you shouldn't get the same speed connecting direct to the cable.

Saying that, 60mb/s should be plenty for video calls.