ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WILL 172 THROTTLE BODY WORK ON A K4M???

LY200
hi there, just wondering with a custom inlet manifold will a 172 electronic throotle body work on a k4m? will they both open and close in the same positions? or is it not going to work? any info appreciated

ITB'd MK1
I think what you're asking is will it just plug in and work. The answer to that is no. It could be made to work, but it wouldn't be entirely straightforward

If they're the same electronics just with a larger butterfly size it probably will work as the outputs will be within the same tolerances and the amount of rotation for a given drive % will be the same as the original smaller butterfly body. If ones Bosch and ones Denso or simlar though then forget it

LY200
well my original throttle body is a standard k4m one and i will get an original 172 throttle body. i my thoughts are they would be the same manufacturer so will they work?

Original 172/182 DBW throttle is a VDO unit. If the standard K4M one is also a VDO unit of the same family and generation then chances are it will work. The tell tale is the TB connector and the plastic cover over the throttle gearbox.

As to if the K4M body is the same family and generation then I have no idea - they've usualy got port throttles and carbon airboxes by the time I see them.

It's stamped in the casting. Family/Generation is on the plastic cover. You can measure the pots in both bodies under/over the return spring neutral point and compare the resistances, also if you have access to a simple H-bridge setup you can compare the pot outputs for a given demand.

Failing that if they look the same just nail them on and see what happens. ;)

LY200
sorry guys your speaking to a numpty here lol. the throttle body is still on the car. am i going to be able to see it with it still installed or am i going to have to get it off? what do you mean by pots? the diameter of the circular throttlebody part?

LY200
Right, what it is. I'm buying mini valvers old angelworks custom inlet manifold. His car was cable throttle, my car is fly by wire throttle(electronic). He used a ph1 throttle body which was cable. I'm thinking of changing the throttle body to a ph2 one which is fly by wire like mine? Will this work? Help appreciated

LY200
Yea I think you can, I will have to look into that. But I might use my original k4m throttle body for the time being. That will work.