ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will I destroy my lovely Clio Cup ????

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
So after owning my Clio for 8 years and looking after it like a baby, I’m now starting to plan for more power and I have been looking at the Engine Dynamics low boost 230 conversion.
My maximum budget is round £3000.
I don’t want any problems and don’t want to kill the car.
I don’t want to spend the money on Cams because for the money it costs and the gains in my mind is a waste of money
I also looked at the RS2 Carbon intake and seems very little gains for the cost. Throttle Bodies again loads of money for what.
So i don’t track the car apart from at the French Performance car show which hasn’t happened for a few years now 😌

The Cup is not my daily car I use it on average twice a month on a weekend.

Would the Engine Dynamics low boost
last well are the parts used of good quality and if you have had your boosted Clio for a long time how has the conversion treated the car and you ??????

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
@T9 0LLE ran his 172 boosted for a couple of years and as far as I'm aware it's still going strong now. An Ed low boost kit won't kill the car but it will change the characteristics drastically. That's why people sell up quick.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
If you only use it twice a month then I'd say bodies and cams, but it will likely cost more to do than the LB unless you find second hand parts, think all you need to make a LB work long-term would be an upgraded clutch

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
And for destroying the car i wouldnt worry too much, yes their going up in value etc but thats not what you bought the car for i guess, its an old renault, mod it and abuse it...only live once and all that

172 Turbo
Can you find me someone on the forum that has boosted their clip and kept it?

I don’t think you can.

that says all you need to know imo.
Think I had mine for 2 years before it was sold due to needing to fund a rental due to marriage separation

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Sod the turbo, go for cams, bodies etc. Yes it’ll only be 200bhp but it’ll be way more in keeping with the car. It’ll be a wheel spin boost nutter with a turbo plus a load of extra weight and heat.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’ve had mine since 2014. No plans at all to sell it. Will only go once I finally convince the wife to let me get a TVR cos there’s only garage space for 1 car

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Being completely honest, if your want a boosted one then it is handy if you have some mechanical experience and mechanical sympathy when driving it. My engine and gearbox were completely rebuilt when the turbo kit was fitted. It was initially mapped by ED and has since been mapped again for a bit more boost. My friend initially built it and drove it a fair amount, then I bought it and finished it off.

It surprises some quick cars and is great fun. Its sounds amazing as the turbo is almost in your lap! If you are going to do it then it needs to be done properly and imo used as a toy, not a daily. It is not a cheap conversion and if bolting to a 100k engine there is a good chance something may go wrong. Parts are easy to get though and complete engines are not too expensive.

I make these comments as someone that actually owns one and has used it as a daily. It is a low boost set up, but running 255bhp. Its had a few issues as documented in my build thread, but has never failed to get me home. It always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I did put it up for sale a year ago, but this was for financial reasons, not because there was anything wrong with it.

Unfortunately the I internet is generally full of horror stories as people tend to only write about problems they experience. Clio turbo managed to single handedly tarnish the clio turbo route with his bodged conversions and the subsequent horror stories that followed, plenty on here. If you read about the 2ltr BMW diesel engine on the internet you would never buy one, but for every bad engine there are thousands still going strong. A lot of which is down to servicing.

Is it for everyone? No its not as we all like different things. Can they be unreliable? Of course they can as it was never designed to have a turbo adding 50bhp more. Is it great fun? Well I love the way mine drives and keeps up with some pretty expensive cars. Do standard 172/182's suffer with there fair share of problems without a turbo bolted on? Read this forum on a daily basis 😂

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So after owning my Clio for 8 years and looking after it like a baby, I’m now starting to plan for more power and I have been looking at the Engine Dynamics low boost 230 conversion.
My maximum budget is round £3000.
I don’t want any problems and don’t want to kill the car.
I don’t want to spend the money on Cams because for the money it costs and the gains in my mind is a waste of money
I also looked at the RS2 Carbon intake and seems very little gains for the cost. Throttle Bodies again loads of money for what.
So i don’t track the car apart from at the French Performance car show which hasn’t happened for a few years now 😌

The Cup is not my daily car I use it on average twice a month on a weekend.

Would the Engine Dynamics low boost
last well are the parts used of good quality and if you have had your boosted Clio for a long time how has the conversion treated the car and you ??????

Feel free to come and drive mine if it helps with your decision making.

172 Cup
I love the idea of it but I can’t help but feeling that if you will worry about reliability and big bills then it’s better to stay N/A or move to a Megane R26 which gives you the turbo, 6 speed and LSD for probably the cost to change that the conversion would cost.

I had a Subaru P1 for a few years and worries about the engine going pop (forum negativity) really spoiled my enjoyment of it as I couldn’t afford the rebuild if it did.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Never seen a turbo clio that has impressed me if I’m honest.
More complication and cost for not a lot of performance from what I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a niche market tbh. You either leave it standard, spend money on cams and a few other bits to try get near 200bhp, or supercharger or turbo route for 230bhp +. A 250bhp Clio is a fair bit quicker than a standard one. They are not that complicated.

It's much easier to buy something that came from the factory with a turbo though like a Megane. I have always said you should probably buy something that came from the factory with a turbo fitted as it was designed to take the power and more.

I enjoy modified cars though. It's not always cost effective or as reliable, but there is always to me something cool about cars that are a bit different.

There are some Clios with ridiculous power from engine, turbo and supercharger conversions that probably cost stupid money. I like the idea of a car that is quicker than people expect it to be!

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
@BoostedSi had a boosted cup and still has.

f**k you potato. 😂😂
Correctamundo Mr Mayfield 🙂.

To answer the original question of should you turbo your car I completely agree with all that @Mbeau has said tbh. I have had my cup since 2008 and turbo’d since 2014. I do love it but it is not without issue and I drive it very occasionally. A lot of my problems have been caused by lack of use as when I used it more regularly (every couple of weeks) it was absolutely fine. I have wrangled with taking the turbo off and having an RS2 inlet etc but I don’t think I would want to lose both the performance and excitement it gives with the turbo. When it is down the right road and you drive it hard (like a clio is meant to be anyway) it is like nothing else I have ever driven and does stick to some serious machinery.

To sum it up it takes all of the 172/182’s inherent qualities and turns them up a notch by adding a significant ramp up in performance. Not for everyone and I completely understand the people who stay n/a but for me at least it is the main reason I have kept it so long - it’s f**king immense!!

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Never seen a turbo clio that has impressed me if I’m honest.
More complication and cost for not a lot of performance from what I see.

Its the cheapest way if you want more than 200bhp from your clio.. Also have you ever been in a turbo clio? Even a low boost one (230bhp) makes an n/a clio feel gutless afterwards

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Its the cheapest way if you want more than 200bhp from your clio.. Also have you ever been in a turbo clio? Even a low boost one (230bhp) makes an n/a clio feel gutless afterwards
It is the torque increase that does that. Peak power doesn’t look much on paper - mine made 235bhp back in the day but it gained nearly 100lb ft of torque which is where you really notice as it is only 975kgs.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I think it has to be a good idea, the torque on these is terrible at best, they need strangled to keep up with anything imo

4GTS/7.5R/182
I have on and off considered what the op is thinking of, for me though turbo is not something I would consider and a supercharger would get rid of aircon which is also not an option.

The NA route won't add much power but would change the character and I suppose breathe in a bit of fun. But then I had Catcams on my 1.6 16v and went through 3 engines, bent valves everytime. Maybe I was unlucky?

Is any of the options good for reliability? I think if you're concerned with that aspect it might be best to leave it alone.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It all comes down to drivability for me. The NA is ok but you’ve got to rev the tits off it to make any progress. The turbo gives mountains of power across most of the rev range and is really good fun.

The 1x2 is a fantastic little car but it’s massively underpowered compared to some more modern stuff. the turbo sees it at least keep up with everything that isn’t obscenely fast. Driving on B roads is much more fun in the turbo too, pulls out of corners so much easier. Each to their own I suppose

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Thing is, if you want more power just buy a better base to start with.

I hated my 172 when I first got it, coming from years of turbo cars (and still owning two alongside it) but it really grew on me when I took it for what it is.

Turbo is going to be a total character change IMO. I used to think mine was gutless and didn’t really see the point but now I miss not driving it and look forward to swapping back to it after my alternate daily (modded WRX). It has its own character and charm having to work it over.

Having watched stone automotives cup vid a couple of times just to listen to it, that’s the way I’d go.

Or if you really want to turbo, just do it properly and stick a k20 in there.

If I had some hankering for a turbo FWD car I’d get a Honda type r and turbo it. They’ll soak up 300-400bhp on a stock engine.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Feel free to come and drive mine if it helps with your decision making.
Hi
Thank you for your offer to drive your car,so where are you base I’m in Cheshunt Hertfordshire

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Yeah I drove a a work friends was ok but a lot of heat in the Engine Bay, his was 240BHP and he did all the work

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Thanks Guys for all your comments

Still not sure, may go for the RS2 intake
Does anyone have a RS2 fitted ? If so what’s what ?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It all comes down to drivability for me. The NA is ok but you’ve got to rev the tits off it to make any progress. The turbo gives mountains of power across most of the rev range and is really good fun.

The 1x2 is a fantastic little car but it’s massively underpowered compared to some more modern stuff. the turbo sees it at least keep up with everything that isn’t obscenely fast. Driving on B roads is much more fun in the turbo too, pulls out of corners so much easier. Each to their own I suppose
That was the main thinking behind my rebuild. I wanted the current driveability - but with that performance dial just turned up slightly.

It's my daily and I didn't want to run the risk of compromising what the Clio had been about all these years. Sure, there are many more powerful small hatches out there, but the changes I had done to mine make it much more keen higher up the range. For the pootling around, it 'feels' very much the same, though I now have the opportunity to have more grunt when I keep the throttle planted.

It suits me well and although the idea of a boosted 182 sounds like a right laugh - I'm still more than happy with what I had done to mine.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
my plan on my cup is 421 cams, pure motorsport jenvey bodies to keep the n/a with some more power top end when it screams at the redline as thats the best part of these cars engines , revving the nuts off them. plus the noise from the bodies is epic.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I was all set to turbocharge my daily 182 last year, so i went and drove a couple. These were my thoughts for what its worth.

Turbo Testing

As said previously i was hoping to drive some turbocharged Clios this morning and thanks to some very generous owners, i was allowed a go in a pair of them.

Car 1)
This was a low boost 182 setup running approx. 240bhp on stock engine & gearbox. (7psi)
Boost controlled to limit midrange torque and allow boost to be held further up for peak power to be used on track.

Car 2)
This car was 172 Cup with switchable boost running no torque limit (13psi).
240bhp low boost, 300bhp high boost forged engine with a basic Engine Dynamics kit.

Both cars fitted with LSDs, proper tyres, brakes, dampers and all the trimmings to be done properly.

I'm no stranger to turbocharged cars having started out with a 350bhp/340lbsft Sierra Cossie when i was aged 19. Later on with what became a 575bhp/520lbsft Subaru Impreza.
Also owned a supercharged Mini GP running 250bhp+ and driven lots of big bhp turbo cars, the fastest on the road being a 700bhp+ 996 GT2.
So I went in with both my eyes and my mind open to turbocharging my own 182, as maybe this was the extra power and theatre i was perhaps after?

The LB 182 had a decent amount of low down torque which provided a nice amount of get up and go in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear. Thereafter the torque dropped off quite significantly and i was left wanting more. This was great for a bit of low down punch but thereafter felt similar to a standard car.
Personally this setup didn't suit me at all, but was done this way at the owners request for trackday use.
It was great to experience how they can be tailored to each owners needs should that be what you want.

The Cup LB was significantly quicker than the 182 being not torque limited and although only about 20lbsft more than the LB 182, it was the aggressiveness of delivery and the overall torque spread. A LB Clio in this setup makes for a suitably quick road car. Just borders on what's usable in all conditions and would hook up and drive well. For most people this would be more than enough.

The Cup HB in the damp was completely unusable in anything below the middle of 3rd gear due to the aggressiveness of the torque ramp. A proper ECU with boost by gear would be nice to use here as you could add some much needed flexibility.
Once on the roll it was a potently fast car with approx. 300bhp per ton comfortably putting in the same category as a Porsche 997 turbo.

I cant write everything here, but Alex and i spoke at length about what options i have for going boosted with my 182. Needless to say he is incredibly open and honest about what can and cannot be achieved, what i would or wouldn't be happy with too.

I went today really wanting the turbocharged route to be an easy decision, its cheap and easy, but it has been anything but. I wondered if when i got back in my own car that i would be feeling it was hugely lacking. But driving home was quite the opposite. I have been thinking lately about what i like about the Clio and that was how assessable it is to really enjoy driving it. The little lightweight car coupled to the tactility and delicacy of the NA engine.
The more I've driven it lately the more i have been enjoying using all the revs, the delivery that builds as the rpms rise and the crescendo of grabbing another gear and doing it again. The balance is great, and I've always loved how adjustable it is on and off the throttle mid corner too.

Having experienced both turbo Clios for a decent real world drive, i think I've decided the turbocharged route is not for me with the Clio. Yes the allure of cheap bang for buck is superb. Its pennies to boost one of these which results in a significantly quick car.
The turbocharged car makes for a very potent little machine and is a bargain way to performance. If you have never experienced a fast turbocharged car, or you just want to go quick making some great noises, and not really caring how you get there, its great product. In HB it feels like you've been fired from a cannon and i would say is probably somewhat dangerous should you not be familiar with car control at the limit.

The turbo route certainly adds something to the Clio package, but for me i think it took away more than it added. It alters the way the car behaves and its power delivery (certainly for me) removed too much of how good the Clio feels to drive.

So i have to say I'm incredibly grateful for the experience in both cars, but i think I'll be exploring the NA route with whatever route that may be. :)

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
I was all set to turbocharge my daily 182 last year, so i went and drove a couple. These were my thoughts for what its worth.
It’s seem you know what your talking about 👍what do you think on the RS2 intake ? I do enjoy sound

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
It’s seem you know what your talking about 👍what do you think on the RS2 intake ? I do enjoy sound
Haha, funny enough i explored that route too.
I haven't seen an early original RS2, but i have seen one of the latest spec ones circa (August 2020) and the build quality was absolutely appalling. I wouldn't have paid £120 quid for it, leave alone £1200! The finish on the carbon was poor both inside and out, numerous parts of the kit unfinished, parts missing, zero instructions etc.
They certainly sound nice and have the ability to allow decent power to be made up top, but the torque curve is totally flat and low at that. (circa 150lbsft).
For a track car where its constantly singing at 7k id say it might not be a bad buy if you got one at the right money. But if you want to drive the car and enjoy it on the road, i would say the best option is the group N timing and mapping. This will give you a solid increase of up to 20lbsft throughout the middle of the rpm range and right where you will actually use it. They only seem to make about 190bhp max with the group n, but that's right up the top of the power curve. So chances of you actually noticing 10bhp at 7k is nonsense. You will however very much notice the increase in torque right from 2500rpm to 6500rpm.

This is just my opinion, but that's where is spend my money. I think its the biggest bang per buck spent on an increase you will actually notice and be able to use.

I still flirt with the idea of turbocharging only because i like the idea of it, whereas i know in reality, id much prefer driving my car in NA format. Supercharging could be the optimum as the power delivery will mirror the stock power, just more of it. But again, cost and complexity add a further dimension and arguably its not as flexible as turbocharging.

You call, but id deffo drive a few before you make a decision.

172 Ph1
Thanks for your reply why leave it?

Because boosted cars are in the end trouble and strife .
I’ve had my Clio 13yrs N/a had RS2 and now ITB’s and it’s a track car and I can honestly say it’s been very reliable and strong .
I’d dread to think [emoji848] what would : could happen if I boosted it .
I would have a drive of someone else’s car and then if you really want to go ahead then I guess you will.

dc1f020b0869a51f179c98c974a9991a.jpg

Last edited:

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Because boosted cars are in the end trouble and strife .
I’ve had my Clio 13yrs N/a had RS2 and now ITB’s and it’s a track car and I can honestly say it’s been very reliable and strong .
I’d dread to think [emoji848] what would : could happen if I boosted it .
I would have a drive of someone else’s car and then if you really want to go ahead then I guess you will.

View attachment 1530149

Thank you for your reply, your Engine Bay is nice 👍

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Haha, funny enough i explored that route too.
I haven't seen an early original RS2, but i have seen one of the latest spec ones circa (August 2020) and the build quality was absolutely appalling. I wouldn't have paid £120 quid for it, leave alone £1200! The finish on the carbon was poor both inside and out, numerous parts of the kit unfinished, parts missing, zero instructions etc.
They certainly sound nice and have the ability to allow decent power to be made up top, but the torque curve is totally flat and low at that. (circa 150lbsft).
For a track car where its constantly singing at 7k id say it might not be a bad buy if you got one at the right money. But if you want to drive the car and enjoy it on the road, i would say the best option is the group N timing and mapping. This will give you a solid increase of up to 20lbsft throughout the middle of the rpm range and right where you will actually use it. They only seem to make about 190bhp max with the group n, but that's right up the top of the power curve. So chances of you actually noticing 10bhp at 7k is nonsense. You will however very much notice the increase in torque right from 2500rpm to 6500rpm.

This is just my opinion, but that's where is spend my money. I think its the biggest bang per buck spent on an increase you will actually notice and be able to use.

I still flirt with the idea of turbocharging only because i like the idea of it, whereas i know in reality, id much prefer driving my car in NA format. Supercharging could be the optimum as the power delivery will mirror the stock power, just more of it. But again, cost and complexity add a further dimension and arguably its not as flexible as turbocharging.

You call, but id deffo drive a few before you make a decision.
Really nice of you to give me your time, thank you so much,

I’m in talks with Mark Fish Motorsport now and I like the idea of group N Timing, also with that get the head Gas flowed ?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Really nice of you to give me your time, thank you so much,

I’m in talks with Mark Fish Motorsport now and I like the idea of group N Timing, also with that get the head Gas flowed ?

No problem at all, if you're local to Mark Fish, its worth talking to Alex at AW Motorworks too. He will be able to assist without the MFM price tag.
My opinions above are just my opinions, everyone has one on this and as i say, i still flirt with the idea of turbocharging, purely because i love turbocharged cars. However i have to remind myself what i love about the Clio and for me, its the way it drives as opposed to how fast/not fast it is.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
@T9 0LLE ran his 172 boosted for a couple of years and as far as I'm aware it's still going strong now. An Ed low boost kit won't kill the car but it will change the characteristics drastically. That's why people sell up quick.
Yea I kept mine for 18months after boosting and only sold it due to needing a bigger car...
Which I’ve since sold to come to...
559EA91D-65D8-4681-B51E-612D60A739D4.jpeg

But an now looking for another 1*2 to build and boost along side the meg 🤦🏻‍♂️