ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

will the 172 be too fast?

AX xsi
After endless discussions with the bf (who has an ax with a vts engine in, and also a 200sx s13) he thinks after me only driving for 6-8 weeks the 172 is too fast for me and i will be bumping it before long. I've told him it won't be but is he right?

Also the parents are against it (not that that will stop me as i'm 25) but after just passing my test is it actually a wise move?

The car i currently got weighs bout as much as a fag packet and is prob running 102-105 bhp, but it feels sluggish from 60+

ST170
You aren't some 17 year old kid! You're 25, just take it easy until you get used to it and don't rise to the bait from other drivers (until you've got used to it ;) ) and you'll be fine.

Surely your parents and bf realise you aren't a kid anymore? They should be grateful it's not a motorbike!

J03

MX5 1.8
ur in the same position as me but am 17 and i drove my car 4 weeks and havent passed my test lol

well id say go for it really... get use to the car just dont do stupid things, ur 25 and a girl.. dont think ul crash it if u drive carefully.. id defo say no if u was as 17-19 male boy r

172mk2 - flame
first car will always get a few little bumps normally, I would give it a miss :)

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
I got my Cup when I was 20, and all the time I was saying (and still do), "I really shouldn't have this...

...but I f*cking love it."

Have fun!

AX xsi
that was my thinking too, insurance must think the same really as well to give me the quotes ive had.

cheers guys, put my mind at rest a bit as it had me worried that its gonna be too quick, but they are only as fast as you want to drive them really, but the fella is adamant im not experienced enough etc, but as long as im not tooling it about everywhere i reckon i should be ok

AX xsi
first car will always get a few little bumps normally, I would give it a miss :)

got the first car already, keeping this one too as the insurance is not that bad anyway and is prob a good car for me getting some trackday experience

TRAX this weekend! :evil:

172mk2 - flame
exactly - goes as fast as you want it! but if you not going to give it some now and then, why have it?

AX xsi
i'll only be giving it some to the point where i feel in control, ie on the straights until i feel used to the car etc, and then i suppose experience will come with time with the 172

Leon Cupra 300
When i first passed my test i used to drive like a tit everywhere and it took an accident to slow me down, albeit a slow 1.2 corsa accident!.. If it was my Cup i wouldn't be here writing this now, not recomended.

..but you are a bird so probably be ok. Have fun :D

M2 Competition
exactly - goes as fast as you want it! but if you not going to give it some now and then, why have it?

Exactly what i was thinking.

Why not get a slower car for a year, rather than pay loads in running costs for a car you wont use to its full capabilities?

pug 106 rallye S2
dont worry... i was scared when my ex got hers but she is still having fun in iot now with no bumps while i was with her...
mine scares me at times 22 with 18mnths but 22000 miles expierience...(sp)
but i can drive it sedatly (when pops in in the car get told off otherwise) and then bit more fun with mates or looney when im alone
i was so worried first time i took it out but shift early like 3k and its like driving a 1.2l its only when reving them it does much from low down it doesnt pull too hard at all....
go for it and enjoy and make your bloke a proud man having his missus drivin a 172 props lass

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
When i first passed my test i used to drive like a tit everywhere and it took an accident to slow me down, albeit a slow 1.2 corsa accident!.. If it was my Cup i wouldn't be here writing this now, not recomended.

..but you are a bird so probably be ok. Have fun :D

same as..

i wrote off my 1st car.. took that to make me realise a few things, if it had been in the 172 i wouldnt here now thats a fact

i got my 172 after2 years of driving experience

AX xsi
lol cheers huckin! sound advice lol, he should be proud i want something a bit cooler than a 1.2 corsa or somethin lol

AX xsi
basically want to get something i want to keep for a while once i get the back pay from work as im the sort that will spend the money quickly on crap that women usually spend money on ie clothes, shoes, holidays etc, and would like a car that both me and the fella can enjoy driving

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
ur in the same position as me but am 17 and i drove my car 4 weeks and havent passed my test lol

well id say go for it really... get use to the car just dont do stupid things, ur 25 and a girl.. dont think ul crash it if u drive carefully.. id defo say no if u was as 17-19 male boy r

ye ur a nob

LY V6 with Recaros
If you're going to drive sensibly then you should be fine, as you're not a 17 year old guy after all!

But I crashed my first car, it was only a 1L, but it made me more careful. My second car was a 1.6 and seemed like a rocket to me, needless to say, I was young and maybe a tad irrisponsible, had 3 points on my license within 3 months of owning it! If I had the 182 from the start godknows what I would have done! But I was only a teenager at the time.

Hyundai i40
if you keep the revs low they aint that fast but once youve gone past the 5k kick they are rapid.

i dont rag my car all the time and the mpg shows as it 40 mpg, but that coz on my way to work the traffic is always dead slow.

go for it.......i wish i had one as a 1st car but as above id prlly be dead

BMW E46 330i Touring
My 172 is the first car my missus drove after she passed her test at 22 years old and no issues so far, apart from a parking scrape that she denies!

AX xsi
i don't think i'm gonna be a wreckless driver, if anything i will be more careful in the clio as its gonna be something i will value as its worth a bit more

more likely to cause injury to myself on my horse lol!!

clio 16valver
I was driving for 4 months and i went out and brought a valver. Ok maybe not a 2.0 clio but for only 4 months road experience a 1.8 16v pocket rocket was quick enough. Im 21 now and i own a 172 and i dont feel there that quick compared to other cars you could own, and ive never had a crash.

As mentioned, as long as you dont drive like a nutter you should be ok, there deffo not fast enough to be 'uncontrollable'. And they stick to the road pretty well.

RB 182
I think you should get it. you'll only go as fast in at as you want but before you do why not take it to a track day and get some advice with a race instructor in with you. then you'll appreciate what the car can do and find the limits of your car and ability in a safer environment. try an airfield track day or something like that which usually has much wider open areas

Black Gold with cup packs
172 is quick if you work it.
You get used to it after 4 months and don't think its quick anymore!

Clio 182 (Black Beauty)

surely those 2 things dont go together :rasp:

ph1 172...a red one
'Women...know your place'
The 172 is too fast for any women to control, you shouldn't be worrying your pretty little head with such things..Think more on the lines of, what you are going to cook your boyfriend after his hard day at work!*

*(j/k)Based on Harry Enfield sketch

Get some extra training - do the IAM for on road, and book a trackday on an airfield so you can learn the limits of the car in a safe environment.

182 inside
driving performance cars around town is no hassle. it's when you start playing with your right foot that experience and skill come into it.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
As said...If you were 17 I'd say yes too fast but your not so you should obviously have a bit more common sense.

Being slightly older and wiser should help prevent you coming a cropper as as you are more likely to drive within your ability unlike a lot of younger drivers.

The clio's a very easy car to drive and is only fast if you're really pushing it so take it easy gettin used to the car and build up your confidence and you'll be fine I'm sure.

David

its your money at the end of the day, i'd say go for it but just go easy until your used to the car and can handle it. i only got my cup a month ago after having a saxo vts. to be honest it scares the living hell out of me but now that i have had it a while im starting to get used to it and i have become more confident in it. just take your time and be careful.

I totally agree here! I think i should top driving it for a month or more and it may feel quick again :)

When i first drove it, it was rapid as i came from a 1.5L 85bhp lol.

172 is quick if you work it.
You get used to it after 4 months and don't think its quick anymore!

As above... they are not fast quick.
One thing i've always said for em though... a good point.. is they are quick cars when they need to be, can keep up with the likes of some beasties, but at the same time can be driven very easily and comfortably at normal/slow driving speeds. You should be fine. Although the Cup was supposed to be for the track fans really and as you wouldnt really want it for that or drive it to it potential maybe get a normal 172 with all the bits?