ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams/172 Engine comparison

How feasible is it to put a Williams type engine into 172?

Basically I am wondering if it is going to be possible to put my Williams derived engine + sadev gearbox from my PhI rally car into a PhII shell

Its easy mounts are all the same etc.

Wiring shouldn't be to bad since the Williams has a simplier ECU etc only issues might be the dials and the throttle pedal as you might have to swop the the manaul one on the williams (only phase 1 Mk2 have cable throttle bodies)

Also the driveshafts might be a problem.

Why would you want to not use the MK1 shell its the better shell for racing.

Its easy mounts are all the same etc..

Ah that sounds good

Wiring shouldn't be to bad since the Williams has a simplier ECU etc only issues might be the dials and the throttle pedal as you might have to swop the the manaul one on the williams (only phase 1 Mk2 have cable throttle bodies)

Got a seperate ECU for the engine anyway, so that wont be a problem; rest shouldnt be either as rev counter is a Stack driven off the coil, and engine runs TBs anyway so will just have to move everything there over

Also the driveshafts might be a problem.

Have got a sadev sequential box + RS shafts so will probably do similar to what we have already; namely stonger machined hubs to fit.

Why would you want to not use the MK1 shell its the better shell for racing

2 reasons basically; the shell at the moment is starting pull apart too often (never got round to seam welding the shell = mistake), plus having too many problems with suspension at the back. Can either turret what we have already or just build into later shell.