ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams engine mods

Whats would be the best engine mod for a Williams that already has a decat, exhaust, chip and performance filter? I have about a grand. What about uprating the brakes?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

for a grand u could stick some cams in, dont go for reprofiles though if possible, even though they are cheaper.

defo worth uprating the brakes, front ones at least.

for cams produced from blanks ur looking at around 450quid for the cheapest set u can buy, which is from kent i beleive. these have a valve lift of around 11.2mm and a duration of 278degrees. this will mean vtec like action, once u reach the "on cam" zone. u mite find u loose some low end torque, which is wat kinda makes the 2litre a bit special over the 1.8. but once on cam, itl produce the goods alrite, thats for sure. mild reground cams for the 1.8 produces a nice top end rush, and those arnt even wild in comparison to rally/sprint cams.

im thinking of getting a set, when i build up my williams lump, the only problem is the rev capability of the 2litre engine. anything over 7k rpm and the bottom end wont hold the revs. u need the extra revs for the cams to produce the goodies. most hot cams need 7.5k rpm at least on the f7s. thats why the 1.8 is kinda better for the revvin, super horse power delivery, if that makes sense.

2litre is a lugger, plenty of torque to pull u along

1.8 is for the demonic power delivery. cheapest way to get massive power gains compared to standard imho, unless uv got money to blow on strenghtening the 2litre bottom end

jimbo

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

If i were u, id get a smallish green coton air filter and chuck ur other 1 as ive recently descovered how much better they r &:

BIG HI-SPEC 4-POT BRAKES!!!

Brakes are good, if you doing track work????

If not a bit pointless!

1k...........................hmmmm

you thought about nos?????

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Brakes make u feel SO much more confident when driving fast if uve got 4 pots, could save ur car some day aswell.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I can c what u mean about tyres and ABS but using high performance brakes means u can squeeze the pedal gradually and get massive improvements in braking with-out locking up.

williams and trophy

how about a set of AVOs?

i can honestly say theyv performed excellently on mine, no more roll in on corners , evrything jus keeps sittin nice n level

bargain for £5-600

then youv got £400 to get fukt up round town with lol

Clio 1.8 16v

i would get noz and uprated brakes,noz is the best money for bhp you can get and brakes like said before will stop u crashing your car!!!

williams and trophy

i personally wouldnt go anywhere near nos

well not until theres no way i can extract more power by more traditional methods

but as said before, good suspension and brake mods can make ur car as fast as engine mods sometimes

thats the place to start on the willy id say.

engine mods dont really seem to be well recieved on the willy engine , well the willys and willy engines ive seen modded seem to less powerful than a standard willy. or is that the companies whove modded them?

What about a strut brace, uprated brakes and some new tyres? What are the brakes like that Hill Power do? Are they worth going for? What kind of brakes???? Can you improve the suspension in any way? Is a strut brace gonna be worth it?

Ive already got a greem performance filter Mickey16vclio

clio williams, Ph1 172

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 16 August 2003

how about a set of AVOs?

i can honestly say theyv performed excellently on mine, no more roll in on corners , evrything jus keeps sittin nice n level

bargain for £5-600

then youv got £400 to get fukt up round town with lol

You are a wise man Jon hehe. could have a few decent nights on £400 hehe.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Get your self a set of HI-SPEC 4 POTS AND 285MM BRAKES !! sO MUCH MORE CONFIDENCE WITH THE CAR NOW !! Strut brace and cams, deffinately !!

That should spend your grand !!

Trust me brakes are undoubtably the best thing i did to the car !! ;)

For a single mod i would go straight for a worked head, couple it with a wilder cam and youll not really loose any bottom end, in most cases alone a well worked head will net you more torque.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 August 2003

For a single mod i would go straight for a worked head, couple it with a wilder cam and youll not really loose any bottom end, in most cases alone a well worked head will net you more torque.
How much is that going to set me back?

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 21 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 18 August 2003

How much is that going to set me back?
My work is roughly 400 quid for a 16V head.

williams and trophy

yeah i reckon itd be farly easy really

wel just have to see how much geds is makin........but i expect probably over that figure

erm, easy yea, you could call it that, but do you have enough cash handy to make it easy. All the parts needed to get there are at hand, but they cost.

I would stick with a flowed head, set of cams (id try the schricks, not kent of piper), as best fettle manifolds, increase the CR a tad with a thinner gasket, get your mapping sorted and youll probably be close to 170-180 ATF.

williams and trophy

nah fuk that

get evrything litened balanced

blueprint the engine

get a megane head n get it ported to suit t/bs

also get ur manifolds matched to the head tracts

pair of cams matched to work done with t/bs

get it all mapped to suit

et voila.....180 @ the wheels easy.............lol

williams and trophy

btw AVOs are adjustable shockers mate

coil overs on the front jus shox on rear with torsion bar.............instills a lot more confidence when driving, it doesnt feel like it s gunna roll over any more wen im a bit too boistrous round the bends hehe

couple the shox with a decent brake upgrade n ul be lappin as quik as a willy with standard shox n brakes but lots more power than standard i.e all the above work mentioned bein done(except t/bs etc cos u wont catch them lol)

Call me gay but Im a firm believer that Williams renault clios should be left in totally standard condition....

Take them for what they are, a classic in the making.... a reminder of an era past.

Tuning the engine and any type of body customisation is sacreligious in my opinion. The money spent on mods could be saved and spent on a quicker car... as it seems its speed your after.

Big brake kits arent worth it unless your interested in shaving 2 secs off your best lap time on a track day. For the road the standard brakes are more than adequate.

The money you paid to secure williams 002 is going to go down the drain if you start modding the car... 002 is the best example of an original williams in the country, why would you want to start modding it?

I am just interested. I didnt buy 0002 to keep it in a garage and get 12k for it in 20 years. I bought it because i like rare things. If i wanted a museum piece i would have bought a painting. I wont change the outside as i want everyone to know its a williams, however, why not have a rare car, AND a fast car.

Williams 0002 is fuelled 50 % by petrol and 50 % by testosterone. Grrrrrrrrr

I want it to be the best and fastest Williams. I dont see its ruining it in any way. Afterall the modifications that Renault gave it made it more desirable than the 16v that spawned it. There is nothing wrong modding a car if you look after it. If anything, modding the engine a bit makes it MORE desirable because it is even more unique. For example the exhaust i put on it (magnex) in my opinion make it both look better and sound better. I am glad i put it on.

if ya want it to be the fastest Willie i would consider a turbo, you could gain more HP.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fperso.wanadoo.fr%2Fokp%2FClio.htm&lp=fr_en&tt=urlhttp://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fperso.wanadoo.fr%2Fokp%2FClio.htm&lp=fr_en&tt=url

I also think its barbarian to put a bodykit on a Willie: it must maintain its identity. but modds to the engine, if you have the money to do it, and can live with the fact that it wont live as long as a standard 1, be my guest...

williams and trophy

agree with the bodywork part of the arguement...........thats a fukkin big no-no on a willy IMO

but as for brake ,suspension, and engine mods.........nowt wrong with that

the suspension mods on mine were done because i would rather upgrade something than just repair/replace it, so when i broke my original coilsprings it made sense to upgrade...to avo coilovers specially wen reno wanted about £200 just for a pair of springs

the de-cat was my first mod.......because the cat on mine was knackered after a month or so of my driving lol.....putting the de-cat on blew the baffles in the centre box on the original zorst .........so a s/s zorst from powerflow was fitted.....bent to exact same lines as o/e fitment zorst

the k&n panel filter was fitted on its first service........again why just replace when u can upgrade slightly, and in the longrun will also save me money

im still on the lookout for more power but am yet to see a highly modified williams get anywhere near mine.......similar spec ones can do it but not hi tuned ones.......as far as i know.

when i see one thats the route im goin to take lol

a tuned engine should last as long as a standard 1 as long as its ben done properly and is very well looked after

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

King

Just do what u want to the car mate !!

But i do believe the way forward is to tinker with the engine !! Oh and do the brakes, believe me those standard one are good for the original power of the car but once you have improved that your gonna need some extra breaking power. It is a lesson i learnt the hard way !!!

On the plus side, u could always learn by someone elses mistakes !!

The williams is a fantastic car, but you will want more power. It is so addictive. I have been there and said i would never modify mine !!

Yer and that lasted a year, then the engine work was done and the lights, and brakes and front bumper.

If anyone wants to tell me that mine is over done and i have ruined a classic then bring it on !!