ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams V 182

Status
Not open for further replies.
  MERCEDES CLS AMG
Read the last paragraph - this is a quote from a car magazine

"As per usual, the car has had few minor faults such as a dead electric window switch and a dead wheel bearing.

Remember though that this is an 11 year old short production run homologation-special hot hatch manufactured by a French state-owned company who don't have a reputation for stunning build quality! Given this, I think the Willy and I are doing rather well.

General comments?
The "Best Hot Hatch Ever" is all I expected it to be and more.

My appetite was previously whetted through long-term ownership of the 16V, upon which the Williams is based. The Williams takes the best bits about driving the 16V and makes them better. Please bear with this long review - it's a bit geeky, but it's accurate and could help you a lot!

Mine's one of the original 1993 Williams batch (No. 123 of the 400!), which was followed in 1994 and 1995 by the Williams 2 and 3 respectively. The original Willy was a homologation special for Renault's antics in Group A rallying - yes, it was up against the likes of the Integrale, Scooby and Cosworth back in the day. On tarmac at least, it was as quick and quicker: the Tour de Corse in 1993 being a particular giant-slaying event. Despite the lack of 4WD, a turbo and being about 200bhp down on the competition, the Willy showed the world how an amazing chassis and torquey motor make up for the lack of technological trickery.

In keeping with the rally theme, the road-going homologation car is a little spartan. The Willy 1 is a Phase 1 Clio, so some interior and exterior visual aspects have dated more quickly than the Phase 2 Clio range (1994-on, including the Williams 2 and 3). The Willy 1 also dispenses the sunroof, electric mirrors, door bottom speakers and some soundproofing found on its contemporary 16V brother.

In its original incarnation, the Willy was sold at a very similar price to the 16V, so these equipment economies were made to get the uprated engine and suspension on board at the price (Renault said it was because customers for the Willy wouldn't want these anyway).

In terms of the exterior, the Willy similar to the 16V. No bad thing, since this entails "that" bonnet bulge and air intake, flared front and rear arches and wider bumpers. The Willy obviously adds the trademark combination of 449 Sports Blue paintwork (Monaco Blue on Willy 3), the gold Speedline wheels with polished silver rims, a slightly larger rear lip spoiler and the Williams decals. The offset of the wheels naturally fills the arches a bit more, but up front the wider track from the suspension modifications pushes the wheels much further out than on the 16V. As a result, the wheels are very easy to kerb.

The mechanicals are where the Williams makes its biggest departure from the 16V. Bored out to 1998cc, the 16V-based bottom end is home to a crank from the 1.9 diesel. The cylinder head and inlet manifold are polished 16V items, with larger inlet valves and a resin coating. The engine also gains a custom fabricated steel manifold, uprated ignition components and a few other bits that I don't think would be of much interest!

This tweaked motor supposedly develops 150bhp at the flywheel, but almost every Williams strapped to a rolling road dyno has made in excess of this figure (I know it's convenient - but it's also true). The "undersquare" nature of the engine gives it 85% of its torque at a mere 2500rpm and 100% all the way from 4000rpm to the redline. That's torquey. The rev limiter cuts in at about 6500rpm (750 rpm earlier than the 16V), giving the Willy the nickname of "tractor engine" amongst some. Very different to the 16V.

It's actually a very pleasant car to pootle about in, for whilst the gearbox and clutch are harsh, the low-down power carries the car through most situations without the need to change down a gear. Motorway trips are a noisy affair due to the lack of soundproofing, but the Williams does get a taller 5th gear than the 16V (as well as a beefed up casing, bearings and clutch). While you do need arms and legs like HeMan, your wallet will fair better since economy averages at about 33mpg.

While it may also be fairly cheap to buy a Williams, owning one might not always be so. Parts prices are relatively modest although labour costs can shoot up due to the nature of the mechanicals being squashed into a small Clio engine bay. Even replacing an auxiliary belt requires the removal of the bonnet and a front headlamp. The condition of cars for sale varies enormously and it is wise to take a companion familiar with the 16V and Williams with you to view a car. Many "mint" examples are not. This makes finding a pristine example of a very rare car even more difficult.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonetheless, for a car that is regularly featured alongside 911s and Elises in the press, these occasional hardships are a minor inconvenience. Today's equivalent would be something akin to a Clio 182 with a 2.2 litre engine, devoid of all unnecessary luxuries and with heavily revised suspension and mechanicals. While Renault got close with the 172 Cup, something faithful to the Williams idea is unlikely to appear again in the medium term"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend a Williams above any other car I have owned or driven. It is truly unsurpassed"

I think that sums it up

williams and trophy
Clang said:
This thread would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad!

2Live: Were you abused as a child? There must be a reason why you are like you are.... Just about every motoring authority out there rates the 182Cup / Trophy as one of the best handling cars of all time so why can't you just accept it?

Terrorist: So your hybrid beats your 182. Congratulations. That only proves that YOUR hybrid beats YOUR 182. Is either of them an actual Williams...? Er, no.

This thread, this entire forum for that matter is turning into a load of puerile (look it up) bollox because of retards like you two. Both of you (and various others) need to read the forum usage guidelines, or get your mums to read it to you.

That is all.

lol...no mate...i wasnt abused as a child. (forum usage guidelines??) lol

im also not on renos payroll..so i dont have to give a good review of a car.

granted the 182s may be ok on track..but i havent seen one yet....will look forward to the oulton park day...30th june for u to teach me the error of my ways, and show me just how good they are compared to my williams....that is of course unless they cost too much to think about driving it properly.

i await the excuses as to why the 12 year old williams has just fukkin annihilated u round the track.

williams and trophy
seb182 said:
if you tried to sell your engine would you get 3-4k for it? that seems a lot to me, but i don't know a lot about the mk1's.

probly not tbh mate...but with the bodies etc it would fetch a tidy sum. but for me to go out and replace it as it is now..would cost me around the 2-3k mark i reckon pretty easily.

think the engine is £3500+vat from reno....maybe even more now. can get a brand new 172 engine off matt prob a fair bit cheaper than that. lol. just to put things into perspective.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
without reading most of those s**t posts im going to say i would happily have either a williams or a 182 as they are both great cars and i can appreciate them both.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
2 live said:

granted the 182s may be ok on track..but i havent seen one yet....will look forward to the oulton park day...30th june for u to teach me the error of my ways, and show me just how good they are compared to my williams....that is of course unless they cost too much to think about driving it properly.

i await the excuses as to why the 12 year old williams has just fukkin annihilated u round the track.

LOL @ you, shame im in Barbados on the 30th but will be at Oulton 9th...

Get round Donny in the 1.28s in a std engine willy. I can gaurentee a well driven Cup would be at least as quick as you.. But hey you have a 4k engine to compensation for driver inadequacies...

Why come out with bullshit comment like "I will anialiate you round the track" Childish son..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Rich said:
Who on here has a 182 as a company car? I need to move jobs.

Not me but my budget (30k) allows me an option of two cars instead of the one (if i wanted so 2 182s could be possible).... but I have an A4 as the company taxi as i do quite a few miles......

williams and trophy
lol..my engine stands me at about 2.5k......all up...eng/box and mods. to replace all this would cost around 2-3 grand again. with the bodies added also, it would of course bump up the price accordingly for replacements. and they arent exactly cheap....add up now??

the oulton day....i wouldnt need the 4k engine...it wont actually be fitted either as i have doubts over whether it would meet track noise regulations...unless hes a good driver, i consider myself a fairly average driver, i dare say the willy will be lapping quicker than the 172/182s ....will probly be strugglin more with the cups...but i reckon the times for the willy will still be a tad quicker.....well cant speak for anyone elses....if anymore willies gunna be there.

will be good to compare again with the newer shaped clios......il even get footage this time.

there was no mention of 'I' in the annihilating bit either i dont think....is there??..........errrrr...no......just the car. read the posts muppet..

shame your in barbados.....

CS Dungeon
Clart said:
Williams rear arch rust optional for added flavour

Funny you mention that, was the 4k rattle or clunking suspension optional or did they grind away at brand new cars for the hell of it??

Spot some rust on my arch's and i'll give you my car:rasp:

182 + Cup
2 live said:

Wasn't going to rise to this but... I'm afriad you just made my initial point, all over again!! And I'm sure you're an excellent driver (or at least you think you are, which under normal circumstances means you're probably not) but anyway, I went to the Jim Russell racing school at Donny when I was but a mere child of about 18 - 19. Do you see me posting about how I'm going to 'annihilate' you (good spelling by the way, did you have to look it up?) around the track? No. I wonder why that is..

What? You're not on Reno's payroll? I am surprised.... Are you on anyone's??

Seriously dude, want some ketchup for that massive chip on your shoulder?

CS Dungeon
Clang said:
This thread would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad!

2Live: Were you abused as a child? There must be a reason why you are like you are.... Just about every motoring authority out there rates the 182Cup / Trophy as one of the best handling cars of all time so why can't you just accept it?

Terrorist: So your hybrid beats your 182. Congratulations. That only proves that YOUR hybrid beats YOUR 182. Is either of them an actual Williams...? Er, no.

This thread, this entire forum for that matter is turning into a load of puerile (look it up) bollox because of retards like you two. Both of you (and various others) need to read the forum usage guidelines, or get your mums to read it to you.

That is all.

No you are correct......its SLOWER on the twisties due to not having the wide track. so a williams would be even quicker and beat it by an even bigger margain:rolleyes:

You should read up on the forum usage, its a bit of banter but you had to butt in and stick your f**king nose in where its not needed or wanted throwing abuse at people:quiet:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
2 live said:
there was no mention of 'I' in the annihilating bit either i dont think....is there??..........errrrr...no......just the car. read the posts muppet..

shame your in barbados.....

It is a shame for sure..But Banks, RR an Sun are first choice...

In context you state your car, even if you mean a std Willy will annihilate 172/182's then even that statment is even more of a childish one...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
2 live said:
probly not tbh mate...but with the bodies etc it would fetch a tidy sum. but for me to go out and replace it as it is now..would cost me around the 2-3k mark i reckon pretty easily.

think the engine is £3500+vat from reno....maybe even more now. can get a brand new 172 engine off matt prob a fair bit cheaper than that. lol. just to put things into perspective.

Dont blow your engine as your car will be declared a write off.....

williams and trophy
EVOgone said:
It is a shame for sure..But Banks, RR an Sun are first choice...

In context you state your car, even if you mean a std Willy will annihilate 172/182's then even that statment is even more of a childish one...

y?

im giving my opinion to the topic posted. my opinion is based on my experience. iv had my williams over 4 years now, only 2 years of those has it been modified. so i can speak for std williams, and tuned williams. both had same result, granted in std trim it would struggle a bit more, but the outcome was usually the same.

clang.....like this muppet...read the fukkin posts......i consider myself a fairly average driver.

as stated several times.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
right i am fed up of all this mk1 vs mk2 stuff.

all this thread has done is create some major agro between a number of differnet users, it serves no purpose.

As usual it's the same old names causing the issues.

If discussion can't be sensible, polite and to the point then it will get locked.

many people make valid comments, but this is always spoiled by others.

Ah, let's conclude then..
The Renault Clio Williams quicker than a 172/182/Cup/ANY Renault made since/before it and will be the best hot hatch ever until they re-release it in Williams 4 form.

I win. ;) (Muahaha, power abuse!)

Status
Not open for further replies.