ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams vs 106gti

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

thing that putting me off clios is reliablility. iv had 3 and all unreliable, anda b**ch to work on! 106s arent owt special but i only want something newer with low miles and still nice to knock about in for a bit. cant have a slow, non-handling sh*tter really, it will do my scone in after a week, lol im gonna keep it 6months or so like!

makes me laugh how people are so certain that the williams is quicker, when i have actually raced many a williams up the strip, most of them had there arse handed to them, no doubting the williams will be quicker above a ton though

Remapped derv Golf

You cant tell them mate. Even though the proof is there they wont believe it.

Standard Vs Standard (Valver) my money would be on the Pug.

Im pretty sure that the GTi would be quicker then a Valver, but having been in Rockports 2ltr conversion I would be very surprised if the GTi kept up... its the extra torque over the Valver lump that makes the big difference!

LY 200

Adamf your right mate 1.8 16v clio v 1.6 16v pug gti, the clios not in the same league but 2.0 16v clio v 1.6 16v pug its the otherway round even with big ass 17s......Its been tried and tested!!!:D

As adams_16v as stated though he wants the more reliable car which doesnt break every 5 mins and unfortunatly thats not gonna be the Renault.....Id say though mate get some new seats cause them ones in the pugs are not very nice at all, they may look fair but so uncomfortable and unsupportive!!!

Remapped derv Golf

All im saying is that a Williams (or RS) wouldnt murder,death,kill a GTI or VTS. The little pug would be quite close behind. Closer than most give it credit for.

Dean and Chris Im sure will have some thoughts on this.

Agreed the Pug seats are crap but I didnt have a problem with the VTSs

Get an immaculate Citroen Saxo VTS cheap and spend £2k on a decent de-cat. exhaust system, a good cold-air set-up and a re-map.

These cars are easy to get cheaply and the mods. above will get you 150bhp, instead of the standard 130.

You will then be quicker than most hatches.

Remapped derv Golf

You wont find a 130bhp model for 2 grand. Theyll be 120bhp. Needs to be W-Y reg to be a 130bhp version afaik

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 10 July 2005
Sorry. Had not seen price restrictions.

True youre right there.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 10 July 2005

You wont find a 130bhp model for 2 grand. Theyll be 120bhp. Needs to be W-Y reg to be a 130bhp version afaik
it was actually the earlier models that were the higher powered ones, due to the lack of EGR valve and the cat was in the manifold of the later models, which means if your going to buy a later model dont buy if your going to change the manifold lol

The earlier models did have weaker head gaskets though

3 Series xdrive

if you wanna have some serious fun, get the 106gti, in a class of its own, just a shame they dont make em no more:(

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

there is no real price restriction up to £5k as long as i get most of it back.

iv seen a nice 2001 with 35k on it thats local be he wants £5400 for it.

why not buy a 205gti or somehting like that, u can save the rest towards ur itr or whatever u go for and be able to buy it sooner!!

megane coupe F7R

Stick to what you know mate. Get a williams and you will get your money back and maybe more if sold to the right person.

Who said the 106gti is in a different league to the 1.8 valver? lol

Theres f**k all difference and a willy would whoop one

Street Triple R

106/VTS definately

especially if its only a stop gap to your ITR, it wont cost as much to run as the Willy, youll find it easier to save.............plus its a damn good car!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

i saw a 2001 VTS with 22k on the clock for 4k.

106s hold their price a lot better but u can still get an s reg with leather and around 50k for £4000.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

iv been looking at VTSs now too. Like clart says they are dirt cheap!

for a 2001 with say 30-40k on the clock, the VTS is about £1500-£2000 cheaper! I would prefer a 106, but might end up goin for the VTS. Its only for 6 months or so anyway like!! id rather have a 2001 one with 30-40k miles than have a 1998 106 with 60k on for the same money!