ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows question, Installing fresh with no recovery option.

So windows 8.1 is doing my nut in due to compatibility with things and i wish to roll back to windows 8.
The recovery is on a cd at home (Im living away from home)
There is no recovery installed onto the computer.

If i source a windows disk am i right in thinking that my BIOS will automatically enter my product key for windows 8?
The product key is the OEM Dell/Alienware key, so will i need a specific copy of windows?

The key should be on a sticker somewhere on the laptop/system case, just enter that when you reinstall windows and it should work out what version to install etcetc.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So windows 8.1 is doing my nut in due to compatibility with things and i wish to roll back to windows 8.
The recovery is on a cd at home (Im living away from home)
There is no recovery installed onto the computer.

If i source a windows disk am i right in thinking that my BIOS will automatically enter my product key for windows 8?
The product key is the OEM Dell/Alienware key, so will i need a specific copy of windows?

Any Dell Windows 8 DVD should work, there is no key to enter as it picks up you're running a Dell machine from the BIOS.

Windows 8 onwards theyve stopped doing the stickers. Its all embedded now.

Ah, I've not had a prebuilt system since about 8 years ago, but as Greeny. pointed out, it should work via the BIOS then.
​Any CD/DVD/USB/etc for W8 should work fine, as long as something gives it the correct key it should work out what version to install.

Oh ill put this in here. If anyone is after they're product key (mine didnt come with a code physically printed) I used a tool called belarc advisor