ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen washer **video inside** wtf is wrong?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
How can i do this Tony? Its got loads f water in, i thought it was empty then realised when one jug filled it to the top that ther must be a problem

Cheers jack

182cup & 172 racecar
Pull the hoses off the injectors,and run until dry,keep putting fresh water through it and repeat.Blow out injectors and re connect.
When you just keep topping up the system,you will gradually get a build up of crap in the bottom of the bottle.
Stick a hosepipe in it and blast it out as well,I do mine every year and have no trouble at all.

lrj

Clio II Ph1 1.4 16v
You might want to take the washer pump apart as well as there is a foam cylinder in there, which can expand and stop moving, hence blocks the outlets and does as in the video. Slice a bit off of each end of the cylinder and put the pump back together. If you shake the pump, you may be able to hear the foam moving about within the pump very feintly.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, slightly confused though as i woulndt know were to start and what needs removing?

lrj

Clio II Ph1 1.4 16v
Definitely try Tony's suggestions about checking the jets and pipes for blockages first, as that will be easier than removing the washer pump. If after that it's still not fixed, then remove the pump. Removing the washer bottle is more involved, as the wiper arms, scuttle panels, and possibly the wiper motor linkage have to be removed first.

Assuming the Ph2 is similar to the Ph1, the pump sits to the front of the washer bottle, and is the black upright cylinder with two pipes rising up from it; the feeds for the jets. Disconnect them and the power connector and pull the pump straight up. The washer bottle will empty itself. The pump splits apart either half way along the pump or just above the outlets. I think there are some plastic lugs keeping the parts together. The half with the outlets then splits into 2 and the foam cylinder is within there.

To put everything back together, do the reverse of the above. Just remember to get the pipes for the jets the right way round when reconnecting the pump, otherwise you'll get the front wipers with the rear washer, and vice versa.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I cant get access as the wiper is in the way, do i need to remove the wiper?

I would say it is the pump mate thats how mine was , wipers a REAL pain to get of without wiper pullers and motor is a pain to get too check you changed the right one to there are 2 motors on the bottle .

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Had a look in the easher bottle and can see a load of slimey black crap in it so prosume thats the problem? Can i just flush it all out or will i need a bew pump? Tried to get wiper off yesterday and it wouldnt move, not sure if i was doing something wrong though?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Do you think its just the actual jet on the bonnet that is causing this and not the pump itself?

Try giving the jets a clean first as that is free then if it doesnt help it will probably be the pump, i had to change my pump not long ago due to the same thing

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Need help still....
Jets are fine, have had them off and they arnt blocked
Have just spent ages wiyh the hose in the bottle trying to breakaway and crap and taking the water out then refilling
Now its gone from squrting in the video above to not squrting at all
The rear jet is fine though :/ ??
Looks like il need to get this done by someone who know what they are doing but what i need to know is what parts may need replacing?
The pump sounds fine like its working so i think maybe the actual bottle itself has so much crap in the bottom its that, that needs replacing, any ideas cs?

lrj

Clio II Ph1 1.4 16v
Have u tried removing the pump and taking it to pieces? If you've been cleaning out the washer bottle, perhaps some of the buildup has gone into the pump. Also give the foam cylinder in the pump a trim, to fix the original problem, as in your video.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Seems like a rite ***** on mate, i cant even get the wipers off :/ need a special tool to remove them aparently?

172 sport
Well after a desperate week with dodgy washers I took the wipers, wiper linkage and bottle out. Swaped the pumps over. It works perfectly on both pumps now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Why does the rear one work but not the front? Does the rear jet work off a different pump? Icant get my head around it!

172 sport
Both front and rear work off one pump. The other pump is for the headlight wash. Can you hear the motor running when operating the front jets? If so then try swapping them.