ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen wipers cutting out, constant relay clicking from passenger footwell

Hi, I have had a problem with my 2003 1.2 16v Dynamique Clio for around a year now and until now I've just dealt with it but its becoming a bit dangerous to keep ignoring. My windscreen wipers are cutting out regularly, usually worst around 4-5 minutes after starting the engine accompanied by a constant relay click. I believe this is from the BSI/ECU? I'm not mechanically or electrically minded and will probably need a garage/dealers help but wondered if theres anything I could try before resorting to that as I realise a replacement ECU is very pricey. Having said that I picked one up on eBay on the off chance it was any good to me at £50 which seemed surprisingly cheap. If its of no use I will just resell as it seemed a fair few wanted it. I have had one garage tell me its the BSI after a quick look over and said it would be in the region of £400 to get it fixed, I would like to try everything before having to pay this amount on a car with almost 130k miles on it now. I have considered getting a local garage to fit the replacement ECU BUT the replacement doesn't come with a fob so would I need Renault to reprogram my current fob (if possible) or is there any other replacements/adjustments needed if this was swapped out?

Thanks in advice for your help

I had this problem with mine, although it wasn't just the wipers, it was all my lights, rear demist, hazards, everything.

I managed to fix mine somehow by just taking all the relays out of the UCH in the passenger footwell and putting them back in. Also fiddled with the wiring to the cigarette lighter as mine doesn't work. Hasn't happened ever since. Touch Wood