ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter hibernation tips!!

BG 182 & 225 T
I'm away to be taking my Clio off the road for the winter and storing it in a dry garage, just looking for tips on how to keep everything in working order come spring time!!

so far I plan on;

taking the wheels off and sitting the car on axle stands to save the suspension components
full tank of fuel to save condensation building up
leaving the windows down an inch for it to air
disconnecting the battery

my main concern is the brakes seizing / going rusty and needing replaced, as I've just had new discs and pads all round 200 miles ago!

plan on changing engine oil and oil filter when I put it back on the road to freshen it up, any other thoughts on what would be good to replace after it sitting this long?

cheers in advance!:)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Seems a little OTT just for a few winter months.

Fresh oil change after it?

All id be doing is is parking it in the garage and disconnecting the battery.

If your talking 6+ months then fair enough.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Can never understand people doing this unless its a very special car, assuming yours is a Clio?

BG 182 & 225 T
What, just because I like to look after my car now it's a daft idea? Only concerned about brakes seizing as it's happened on a previous car I had sat for a few months!

PB172,dci100,dci65
To avoid brake seizing, I would give it a good run when its warm outside so everything is dry on them (i know, when it starts to rain, its not possible). Maybe open the bonnet a bit, doors, boot to save the rubber seals, give the seals some glycerine oil. I park mine in a garage, not warm garage. When its dry outside, I give it an hour trip on dry tarmac.

edit: you could remove the pads and lubricate the discs....a weird idea I know, but if you dont drive it for 5 months...

DB.

BMW 440i
All seems OTT and unnecessary really, your car will most likely be no different if you just parked it up normally and left it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I left my Clio for 3.5 months outside from sept-dec once, didn't do anything to it, just left parked outside. Started first turn of the key.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I dry stored mine from November to March last year. I am probably one of the most anal people about my cars and even I just disconnected the battery and left it at that. It all seems completely unnessesary to me.

172 Cup
My car hibernating last winter:

20121205_065552.jpg

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I left my 172 sat on the drive SORN for 16 months, no cover etc, I didn't even start it up.

It was absolutely fine.

Lol, this. It's a Clio, not an antique Ferrari.

I can see why you'd want to take care of the car but it's just a few months, disconnect battery, leave handbrake off and perhaps leave in gear.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, just slap it in the garage if you have one or park it on the drive, in gear with handbrake off. I wouldn't even disconnect battery, just start the thing once a month to keep it topped up and that way your cars still alarmed if any scrotes try to nick it

williams clio
rageqepy.jpg
just put mine in today for the winter wheels off battery off & give it a good old clean inside & out already for next year
u8e4anas.jpg

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Mine goes into winter hibernation. Just occasionally run the engine for 10 mins or take it round the block on a dry day

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Buy a carcoon.

IMG_5321.gif

Im going to try and get one for the Trophy for next year