ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Tyres: Keep your no-claims discount this winter!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
many thanks for the links guys

so what do you do, buy the tyres first and find rims to match?

or buy the rims first then find the tyres to match?

is there there a correct size i should go for, for the 182?
TBH I'd get some 15's, cheaper tyres.

I tend to agree with the people that have commented about them being pointless. Drive to the conditions, it will be over soon enough. If its going to go on any longer, get a 4x4

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I've got a set of Icebears on the front of my 106 derv. 155/70/13's i think.
I fitted them back in October and i have to say that are quite brilliant. They are very good in the wet as well as they just don't aquaplane.
I've not got stuck once yet. Its now our car of choice until the snow melts....the Cup and the Mrs 182 just get stuck!

I'd much rather see everyone have to take some additional driver training - and that would probably make a much bigger difference to safety on the roads than telling drivers they have to use "magic" tyres. ABS/ESP already appears to make people think they're invulnerable to the laws of physics.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'd much rather see everyone have to take some additional driver training - and that would probably make a much bigger difference to safety on the roads than telling drivers they have to use "magic" tyres. ABS/ESP already appears to make people think they're invulnerable to the laws of physics.

ive got full no claims, never crashed and have been driving for 8 years. so i dont need additional training. snow/winter tyres tyres were invented for a reason not for fun!!

but the current pe2 on my 182 are poo in the cold and snow and if getting some different tyres suited to the conditions is gona help then great.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

You need a mix of both. You can be the best driver in the world, but put on a snowy/icy road in a car with completely usless tyres and the chances of you not stopping in time or simply sliding off the road are stupidly high.

They aren't 'magic' tyres. Would you use knobbly tyres on a track? No. So why should people be expected to perform driving miracles in the snow on wide low profile semi-slick track day tyres?
Its common sense....again.:)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You need a mix of both. You can be the best driver in the world, but put on a snowy/icy road in a car with completely usless tyres and the chances of you not stopping in time or simply sliding off the road are stupidly high.

They aren't 'magic' tyres. Would you use knobbly tyres on a track? No. So why should people be expected to perform driving miracles in the snow on wide low profile semi-slick track day tyres?

agree

ive got full no claims, never crashed and have been driving for 8 years. so i dont need additional training. snow/winter tyres tyres were invented for a reason not for fun!!

but the current pe2 on my 182 are poo in the cold and snow and if getting some different tyres suited to the conditions is gona help then great.

Great if you feel happier and need them, then I'm not saying its bad thing. What I'm saying is that people believe just because they have winter tyres/abs/esp etc that nothing can happen to them - when we all know that's not true.

Best driver in the world would drive to the conditions, which is what most people don't.

I know they're not magic tyres, I'm illustrating a point that people perceptive them (and other driver aids) to be.

You're right you do need both but where in this world will you find people with common sense! Experience will always out weigh the point at which a driver aid fails (including snow tyres).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Everyone needs additional training as what you learn before passing your test is woefully inadequate.

The trouble is most people justify their driving ability just like you have...never had a crash so no need to improve anything.

LY R26 230 F1 Team

Agree.

Titanium 182
Everyone needs additional training as what you learn before passing your test is woefully inadequate.

The trouble is most people justify their driving ability just like you have...never had a crash so no need to improve anything.

Knows what he's talking about ^

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

WTF...

i want to improve grip in thw winter so an enquiring about winter tyres. but seems like im doing something wrong here.

so what people are saying is winter tyres are pointless and i need to learn to drive?

i must contact tyre companies and let them know what...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
WTF...

i want to improve grip in thw winter so an enquiring about winter tyres. but seems like im doing something wrong here.

so what people are saying is winter tyres are pointless and i need to learn to drive?

i must contact tyre companies and let them know what...

No, that's not what I said...I'm all in favour of winter tyres...see my post earlier in the thread.

What I was responding to was your specific point about being a driving god ;) because you've never had an accident and therefore would not benefit from any additional training.

You would, a lot.

Combine that with winter tyres and you'd be invincible like me :rasp:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
when did i say i was a driving god?!

everyone always say you need more training! how do you know what my driving ability is?

im not saying extra training is a bad idea, what im getting at is you have no idea my ability or what training ive had.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Again you've missed my point. It doesn't matter what your current ability level is. It doesn't matter how much training you have or have not had.

You can always improve, driving is a learning experience from day one, everyone can always improve. The biggest issue is that most people can't man up enough to admit that they could be better drivers as though it's some sort of admission of failure.

I teach advanced driving...can I learn more and be better?

Of course I can.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im no driving god, but i do driver a fair few miles a year.

got my 182 new its 5 years old and its got 68k on the clock, so im proud to say not had any accidents.

i understand your point that no one is a perfect driver, but understand my point that not everyone is a bad driver.

i did my advanced driver thing after ai passed my test ;)
what more do you want blood!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not saying everyone's a bad driver, just that no matter how good or experienced people think they are, they can always improve and be better drivers.

What did you do after your test...the full IAM/RoSPA or Pass Plus? Any/all are a good start and actually teach people how to drive instead of how to pass a test.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I agree with Mark. You do need more training. Everyone does. Not having had an accident proves nothing.

My old grandad had no accidents for 20yrs. Mainly because he drove everywhere at 40mph, I'd imagine. Didn't mean he was a good driver.

Clio 197
OH, I forgot to mention something:

My car's steering is horrendously over-assisted (electrically) at low speeds. As a result, I get no feedback from the wheel...

...so unplugging the PAS is a great way to know what's going on beneath you.

PS I doubt you'd need to do that in a 182, as they're very good IMO.

Clio 172 RS2
But Andy did you found some steelies for the snowtyres yet to be fitted?

Just had Kwik-Fit fit me some new front tyres... Uniroyals Rainsports where down to 1.5mm.
The new Good Year F1 Eagles with the fresh profile have as much roadhold as the well worn Uniroyals!

But then again as the vid shows and your own driving experience, low temp makes a summer tyre useless on snowslush / iced roads.

Would i go for a extra set of 16" steelies just for the winter?
(this winter being most prone to snowfall yet in Holland)

No... simply for driving not a lot and budget wise.

I would have if i went for Wintersport in Austria with the Clio.
In Germany / Austria you must by law (snowtyre tread also has to be a 4mm minimum!)
So after 3-years you have to renew those snowtyres too.

At some tirecenters they rent snowtyres also!
(And some do store them if you don't have storage space.)

Are some people seriously suggesting that winter tyres have no benefit, no point, and that we should all be driving heroes, and use magic to generate grip where there is none? SRS?

Everyone should always drive to the conditions, rain or shine, night or day. That doesn't mean you'd go out of your way to reduce the grip levels by having the wrong tyres on.

PS. The small knock that's been mentioned is most likely a ball joint. Mine needs looking at, and it's been doing it intermittently for a while, since before the cold weather struck.

Clio 197
Hiya,

So the Icebear W300 winter tyres have now been fitted!

What a difference - I had to drive through slush to get the tyres fitted... and I had to drive through it again to go back home.

I can confirm that there's a lot more grip - the car accelerates better, brakes better and turns better.

Obviously I still need to drive sensibly... but you won't see me sliding backwards down a hill again!! Nor will you see me desperately trying to control the throttle in order to move one foot at a time.

Cheers,

Oms.