ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiper Mech Scuffing

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone either got or had the same problem with the front wiper blade lower arms Scuffing and why?

looking to fix this and re paint them both

20180326_150222.jpg

PH2 172
It all works fine tho but,I will do this over the Easter break if not pissing it down!
Thinking about it, the Cup has a single washer motor, that does not require removal of the wiper motor assembly to replace.
No telling what others have done though.
I`ll bring some spanners to North Weald on the 15th, if it snows over Easter.

Buy or borrow one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will get the arms off safely and without any hassle, without this it can potentially be a nightmare.

Once you have the wipers and plastic scuttle trim off, my guess is one of your circlips on the mechanism has failed. I had the same, and it makes the spindles drop and cause the rubbing you have alongside poor wiper performance of course. You want to get it sorted soon as I've seen one Clio before end up scratching the windscreen when more than one failed!

Here's some pics showing it dropped, and replacing mine (It was easier for me to get a whole replacement unit):

SAM_1960.JPG
SAM_1962.JPG

SAM_1964.JPG
SAM_1965.JPG

One easy way to check... pull on your wiper arms and see if they move in and out !

If not, then maybe the mechanism is not located properly on the pin on the body if you've taken it apart or maybe it's always done it.

Let us know how you get on mate

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I agree with Chris_Beer, when I refitted my wiper mechanism incorrectly & missed the 'infamous' peg, the wiper arm (the one scuffed in your picture) actually fouled on the windscreen, which is quite different to the issue you seem to have.

Worth doing @Darren S , will help eliminate any squeals etc too in the future.

Thanks mate,I will definitely get that tool and find a 2nd hand mech unit to swap over,I've never touched any of the wiper mech or shuttle panel since I've owned it.
@Chris_Beer

If you haven't touched it, then it will be the circlip mate. As I said try pulling the smaller one (on the right side in your picture) and I bet it moves in and out, certainly looks lower from the picture.

A circlip alone would be cheaper, but I was lazy and wanted to do the job in 5 minutes and not measure it, faff around fitting it, then discovering it was the wrong circlip, etc etc, you know it goes sometimes. The amount of cars being broken on here I bet most of them get scrapped with the units in so they will be cheap enough I would of thought :)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I will have a look and pull on the arm tomorrow.
Yeah think I may just replace the whole thing to,are they all the same?,ie any clio of that Mark. @Chris_Beer

As in circlip,do you mean the little ring at the bottom or where you attach the wiper arm?,I can see them in your photos.

PH2 172
How would you go about checking them then mate?.

it all works fine and I never hear it scrapping on the middle bit.

I`m not quite sure as it`s not a problem I have ever had, but I`m guessing lift the arm gently & check for play in the arm, not the spindle.
Essentially it`s the same principle as this vid.

I will have a look and pull on the arm tomorrow.
Yeah think I may just replace the whole thing to,are they all the same?,ie any clio of that Mark. @Chris_Beer

As in circlip,do you mean the little ring at the bottom or where you attach the wiper arm?,I can see them in your photos.

In my last photo, underneath where I've greased (the nut thread and the splines the wiper sits on) you can see the gold circlip. Scroll up and you'll see it missing on the first photo.

Yeah I believe they are all the same mate.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
DO NOT GREASE THE MECHANISM.

Dust and crap stick to it and it gets everywhere and ends up drying out and causing problems. Give everything a good clean with brake cleaner eye then use ptfe spray, gt85 etc...

Yeah, dirt and grit ends up like a grinding paste with the grease.