ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring diagram? Need to remove this start button.

The previous owner of my 2002 172 Cup has installed a civic style start button, i'm not a huge fan of them and when the fuse went causing the car not to start it was the last straw!

I've traced the wiring and it seems a bit suspect, i'd like to rip it out but at the moment turning the key to the start position doesn't do anything.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram so i can work out what's happening here?

Thanks,
Allan

Take the plastic trim off around the steering column - the top bit just pops off and the bottom bit is held on with 3 x t20 torx screws

I guarantee that one of the wires off the back of the ignition will have been cut and some cables going off it to the starter button
You'll just have to remove that wiring and splice the old wires back together

Unfortuntaely it's not been done like that, i've had the steering columb covers off already.

The starter button is wired into the battery positive (via a fuse) on one side and the stater on the other. You can see why i'm wanting to remove it....

Ermmmm if they've done that then it will start the car even without the key in!?
You're supposed to take a feed from the 2nd position on the key to the switch then to the starter

Oh dear :(

Yeah, it's not exactly high security. With no key it'll turn over but wont start, you see why I require a wiring diagram haha.

May have been fitted because of a dodgy ignition barrel. My friends ignition barrel won't go to the crank position. So we installed a starter button.

That was my first thought as well, the only thing is when you turn the key to the crank position you can hear a relay under the bonnet clicking. This makes me think the ignition switch is okay. I've traced the relay as one in the fuse box under the bonnet but after that it goes into the loom and i've got no chance!