ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring sub into standard headunit.

B

Ben^

????

Internal amp would go pop as soon as you turned it up!!

If its a standard head unit that is.....you will need a head unit with pre outs and an amp before you go throwing a sub in.

It can be done, you'll need to take a spur off the rear speakers and need an amp with a high pass filter, that or a stand alone one for the feed to the amp. Then the rest of the wiring is as per any other system.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Sorry i havnt made it clear at all... lol

I have an Amp and Sub, the amp has the inputs to put full range into it.

Is my only option to run a cable from rear speakers into amp?

Not sure exactly what you want us to say. You can either take it off of the rear speakers or run cable from behind the dash but the end result will be the same with the head unit not having a channel for a sub seperate you will still be using a feed from the speakers on the amp input.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
no problem, thats all i was wanting to know. Is the quality still good when using a feed from the speakers?

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need to get a Phono lead, with bare wires at one end and phono's at the other, then wire this into the back speaker cables (As they're the most accessable) Then you'd get phono's from your head unit in a sense.

I'm with Mike tbh. I would personally get a new headunit, taking a spur off a factory one rather than having a dedicated RCA output is a bit heath robinson.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
I know it is abit pikey, I dont know much about it as always just put a new headunit in my last cars.

But, im fitting a sub into the ST which has a sony double-din 6 cd changer headunit so not really to keen on changing it.