ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wolfenstein 2 - The New Colossus

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone played it yet? Reviews look good and I loved the earlier games.

I've got it. My internet connection is a bit crap so I pre-ordered from Amazon on disc to avoid having too much of a download wait, was expecting the usual day 1 patch malarky.

Wasn't expecting it to grab about 4Gb of 46 from the single DVD and then go straight to the internet for the rest...... poo...... Could have just got it through Steam and left it downloading overnight had I known. Oh well, Amazon was about a tenner cheaper at least.

Bah.JPG

I miss my cable internet connection 😧

Anyway, really looking forward to playing it. Eventually.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I adored the first one!

I need to know hard hard is though - some people say it's ridiculous.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of hours in now, it's awesome, absolutely brilliant so far.

If you liked the previous games this is a no-brainer, dark, compelling, solid story, really good combat.

Only reason I've stopped playing now is I'll already be in the doghouse for spending the last couple of hours gaming. :smiley:

Yaris Hybrid
Loved the first one. Could have got on it on PC or PS4 Pro but ordered it on Xbox so I'm waiting for my XO-X!

It's killing me as I'd love to fire up my old Xbox now but I gather it runs like carp! A week to go!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded it today - but haven't tried it yet.

Tbf @charltjr - I don't even know why they offer a DVD version when that only contains about one-tenth of the games' content? I've seen a few like that - it doesn't seem to offer any benefits for anyone?

Even if they sold it in mainstream shops - just have a DVD case with the download code inside. Going to all the effort to print and press the DVDs just seems a waste.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren S, agreed. I would have thought at least having most of the game content on a couple/three dual-layer DVDs would make sense, not the bare minimum.

I can't really complain, Amazon upgraded the order to the "Welcome To Amerika" pack for no extra charge which also gave me some free DLC, and I only paid £30 for the game so all in all it worked out well for me. I just had some free time on Saturday morning and was hoping to get more or less straight into it - got to get with the modern world I guess :D

@Daz. In terms of difficulty I'm not finding it too hard, it's a bit uneven as usual for these games but apparently you can change the difficulty level at any time (up or down) without penalty so I wouldn't worry.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I had an hour on it last night. Died a few times but haven't bothered changing the difficulty as it was mainly down to me not concentrating.

Graphics are very nice on the PS4. Had hoped they would have changed the pick-up system for ammo and health tbh, pressing square for every bit of ammo or health when in a battle isn't ideal.

It'll probably take me a few months to get through this as I hardly use the PlayStation anymore.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had an hour on it last night. Died a few times but haven't bothered changing the difficulty as it was mainly down to me not concentrating.

Graphics are very nice on the PS4. Had hoped they would have changed the pick-up system for ammo and health tbh, pressing square for every bit of ammo or health when in a battle isn't ideal.

It'll probably take me a few months to get through this as I hardly use the PlayStation anymore.

FFS - lol, have they not done anything with that? It's fine when there's the occasional ammo pack, but if its anything like the previous game, you find rooms littered with the stuff.

Running around aimlessly and pressing an action button to the background chimes of 'Dur. Dur. Dur' as you attempt to pickup something you're already maxed out with - is just weird.

They must have their reasons for making it do that, but I can't think of any valid ones at all?

Played it a bit over the weekend after getting a new monitor for the PC, man it looks great. It's pretty funny too and has kept my attention so far, I don't usually enjoy single player games all that much anymore, especially with all the PUBG banter.​

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say not absolutely necessary, but the emotional impact of a lot of the events will be much greater if you played and enjoyed the first game. Bit like watching Empire Strikes Back without having first seen Star Wars ;)

If you just want a decent shooter and sod the storyline then nah you don't need to at all.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm at one of those difficulty spikes I think, or I'm really shite. Don't want to change difficulty though.

Just got to the part where you meet up with the black woman. She's done one and I'm fending off Nazis in a fairly small room.
Doesn't seem to be much health available and those f**king drones are pissing me right off. I think there's also introduction of a harder enemy too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still trying to work out why they found it necessary to assign a button to picking up ammo?
The thing is, I've walked over some ammo and armour and it's been auto added, other times you need to piss about pressing buttons, especially annoying when in/preparing for an onslaught..
It just doesn't make sense.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'm at one of those difficulty spikes I think, or I'm really shite. Don't want to change difficulty though.

Just got to the part where you meet up with the black woman. She's done one and I'm fending off Nazis in a fairly small room.
Doesn't seem to be much health available and those f**king drones are pissing me right off. I think there's also introduction of a harder enemy too.

I'm there too, I think the trick may be to
take out the drone with the laser gun thing, then take out as many yellow suited guys as possible (with environmental kills where you can to save ammo), then go downstairs to pick up the laser ammo/charge and use that to take out the guy with the flamethrower/grenade launcher - nick his guns and mop up the rest of the bad guys.

At least that was as far as I got with it last night. Generally the tricky bits in all the Wolf games have a path through them, you just need to work out the strategy, which is a pain because the rest of the game lets you play however you want.

I think how much you enjoy it comes down to how much you get into the story, the shooting is good enough but if the story doesn't grip you I think it will get pretty samey. Go here -> kill Nazis -> repeat.

A SHED!
I don't know what it is but I really don't rate this game as good as the first two games. I find the story abit daft and the characters unlikeable. Combat is very sketchy. The abilities you get later on in the game are just stupid. As mentioned picking up armour is hit and miss. It's graphically good but gameplay is poor. 6/10.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm there too, I think the trick may be to
take out the drone with the laser gun thing, then take out as many yellow suited guys as possible (with environmental kills where you can to save ammo), then go downstairs to pick up the laser ammo/charge and use that to take out the guy with the flamethrower/grenade launcher - nick his guns and mop up the rest of the bad guys.

At least that was as far as I got with it last night. Generally the tricky bits in all the Wolf games have a path through them, you just need to work out the strategy, which is a pain because the rest of the game lets you play however you want.

I think how much you enjoy it comes down to how much you get into the story, the shooting is good enough but if the story doesn't grip you I think it will get pretty samey. Go here -> kill Nazis -> repeat.
I got through it earlier.
Didn't have the laser gun, had the bomb thrower and the 6 ammo you get in the room.
Ended up running and gunning and was at about 2 health and hiding for a second before taking out the last big hitter.
The drones are the worse imo. Little f*****s.

It'll take me a while to get through this game. Back at the sub and trying to get collectables as I go through. Not sure if there's the option to go back through the levels.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Not got this so far, but judging by the comments and what I've read elsewhere I think I'll wait until its below £20.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well - I’m guessing I’m not too far from the end on this and I have to say that it’s my best Wolf game to date.

The previous ones felt lazy - like they were cashing-in on the familiar Nazi killing vibe and not really pushing the boundaries much.

This touches on blatant racism, epic swearing and some genuinely funny dialogue in the cut scenes. Family ties, back-stories and explanations ‘why’ are all here. It’s also a bit fucked-up - gun barrels in mouths, bare tits getting Nazi blood all over them, etc. But from a production quality perspective, it’s great.

You have many Nazis to kill. You have a big U-Boat. You have an enemy flying machine (which is a shame it’s not a zeppelin) and a secret rocket base. You couldn’t feel more inclined to hunt Nazis, even if you tried.

Yes, it’s far fetched - crazily so in parts. But it’s just straightforward fun. If you even mildly appreciated the previous games - this one trounces all over them.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol - so I saved the game on Monday night, thinking I'll finish it off this week. Switched my PC on again last night and noticed a 1.2GB or so patch coming down for it.

Let that finish and fired up the game. Loaded my save and completed the game about 30 seconds later. I didn't realise I was that close to the end.

Quite satisfying end tbh. 'Well deserved' was what sprung to mind!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Arrrrrgh..... I finally get an hour of free time, sort out a couple of jobs, decide to get some gaming in.

1.5Gb patch that I can't skip. Estimated download time on my current cruddy connection - 30 minutes.

Sometimes modern gaming really hacks me off. I'm gonna play some Starship Command on my BBC emulator.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ll be getting this when it drops in price, looks pretty good

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Arrrrrgh..... I finally get an hour of free time, sort out a couple of jobs, decide to get some gaming in.

1.5Gb patch that I can't skip. Estimated download time on my current cruddy connection - 30 minutes.

Sometimes modern gaming really hacks me off. I'm gonna play some Starship Command on my BBC emulator.
I had worse on Wednesday night when firing up Forza. Flasged up saying a small update was required. So said yes. 95Gb and 3 hours later the update is complete.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Those pics look awesome. Its getting harder and harder to resist the impulse to buy this.