ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Written off?

clio sold :(
I still carnt understand why that Picasso travelled so far! ! Did he get bumped and he thought f@k it ill hit this wall get a full payout with injuries.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I still carnt understand why that Picasso travelled so far! ! Did he get bumped and he thought f@k it ill hit this wall get a full payout with injuries.

Serious OAP. He isn't interested in injuries, think his reactions are just pretty slow!

Also, not getting a hire car in the hope that no hire charges will help toward it being repaired... Fingers crossed.

Clio 197 f1
i think she would repair tbh, repair bonnet and repair bumper i bet, new grills and she looks alright one thing that does kinda concern me is your bonnet gaps? the left side looks a wide gap and your right looks quite close? i dont think the old numptey was going that fast to push it over, unless he went to put hes foot to stop and pushed to go instead like they tend to do, but yeah is this just the picture or is one side bigger then the other? the way to roughly work out if its written off is half the cars price straight away, they work in percentages that im not sure what they are :/ but it will be about 900 they will spend, but if you really want it repaired they can do it just means they will use non genuine parts to get it cheaper.

but if you want to check out prices of non genuine parts check this its where 80% of your body shops will use. so if you wanted to do it yourself but remember these are non genuine so they might not fit brilliant...

http://www.crashrepairparts.com/par...01_2005/body-repair-parts-and-panels?_ts=2575

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
i think she would repair tbh, repair bonnet and repair bumper i bet, new grills and she looks alright one thing that does kinda concern me is your bonnet gaps? the left side looks a wide gap and your right looks quite close? i dont think the old numptey was going that fast to push it over, unless he went to put hes foot to stop and pushed to go instead like they tend to do, but yeah is this just the picture or is one side bigger then the other? the way to roughly work out if its written off is half the cars price straight away, they work in percentages that im not sure what they are :/ but it will be about 900 they will spend, but if you really want it repaired they can do it just means they will use non genuine parts to get it cheaper.

but if you want to check out prices of non genuine parts check this its where 80% of your body shops will use. so if you wanted to do it yourself but remember these are non genuine so they might not fit brilliant...

http://www.crashrepairparts.com/par...01_2005/body-repair-parts-and-panels?_ts=2575

Cheers for the info :)

I took some pictures in the dark of the bonnet gap... I think the left side looks bigger because this side has slightly lifted and bent upward.

Here are some poor night shots. Kept at original res:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/945339/182 shunt/2013-01-28 20.51.38.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/945339/182 shunt/2013-01-28 20.51.49.jpg

Does seem to narrow slightly on the right top :(. Hope its just where the panels have taken a brick related knock...

Clio 197 f1
yeah that dont look to bad really, i mean there plastic wings iirc my 182 is on the road and its raining quite bad and i dont want to go outside lol but i think i remember pushing it and its made of plastic, so there never perfect anyway but i would say that was pretty normal, they should be able to fix it its just if its genuine or not will be the decider but if its not right keep taking it back and eventually they have to put genuine on. but i think she will be a go'er but if you dont mind non genuine parts you can say to the insurance company about that company and say you can get these bits for this.. even tho there not genuine there "insurance approved" and as you can see parts are pretty cheap, so yeah she be alright i think.

have to keep us updated on what happens.

e36 323i
doesnt look too bad, but then i thought that when my missus 206 was hit and caused damaged to the passenger door and a small dent on the rear quater and the quote for the work was 2k+. Fingers crossed they do repair it would be a shame to write off a nice looking motor but it all comes down to cost at the end of the day.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Still awaiting insurance to do anything.

Other problem is my road tax is due tomorow and I am obviously hesitant in purchasing more... Car isn't being used and is on a driveway. Do I have to SORN it?

FF Clio 182
Just out of curiosity if your insurance writes you car off and you decide to buy it back off them, what are the steps you need to take to get it back on the road? If the car has only panel damage.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Just out of curiosity if your insurance writes you car off and you decide to buy it back off them, what are the steps you need to take to get it back on the road? If the car has only panel damage.

Depends what category it's written off as. Cat D - Nothing, just repair and drive. Cat C - Requires a VIC test.

FF Clio 182
If it's a CAT C you will need to get a VIC check then apply for new logbook, tax and MOT.

Oh right so you have to basically start from scratch? Even if it had tax and MOT before you lose all that and have to get it all again?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. If the vehicle is written off all prior stuff is void.

I can understand the MOT being void, but the road-tax? Is that because a damaged car could have the potential to emit more CO2 than standard??

Sorry for the OP - completely innocent in all of this and now he's got a boat-load of crap to sort. :( I would have thought/hope that that shouldn't be a write-off. If it was mine, I'd be hoping that would be the case anyway.

Would be interesting to get Gally's view on the pics here - see what he thinks?

D.

FF Clio 182

I was just curious as I recently been in a accident, it wasn't my fault and my car only had light panel damage. Insurance have written it off so with that in mind I hope it is a CAT D as all I needs is a new wing! The car still has tax and MOT so that still valid for a CAT D?

Clio RS 200 GW FF
I damaged/put a dent in every panel on my old car after going into a ditch, and I mean every panel! It was classed as a CAT-D write off. If they do write it off (which I doubt they will) it wont be anything higher than a CAT-D.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Well that's wrong. If it's a cat C then you required a VIC which perplexingly doesn't include checking the repairs to the vehicle only the documents and vin tag etc. If it's a Cat D you can fix it with some duck tape and drive away, most insurance companies will still continue the policy. Funnily enough our paintshop foreman just has his daughters car damaged. Bought back without even being on the register. Will take about 24 hours to fix. easy.

RAC do it, doesn't cost that much, MOT and Road Tax both still valid if you buy the car back. Baring in mind if you buy the car back they don't call it a write-off hence it goes on the register but isn't taken off any databases.

Anyway on to the OP, sorry to hear of your bad luck. If the engineer inspects the car correctly and values the car correctly it should be a repair. What year is the 182 mate?

FF Clio 182
Well that's wrong. If it's a cat C then you required a VIC which perplexingly doesn't include checking the repairs to the vehicle only the documents and vin tag etc. If it's a Cat D you can fix it with some duck tape and drive away, most insurance companies will still continue the policy. Funnily enough our paintshop foreman just has his daughters car damaged. Bought back without even being on the register. Will take about 24 hours to fix. easy.

RAC do it, doesn't cost that much, MOT and Road Tax both still valid if you buy the car back. Baring in mind if you buy the car back they don't call it a write-off hence it goes on the register but isn't taken off any databases.

Anyway on to the OP, sorry to hear of your bad luck. If the engineer inspects the car correctly and values the car correctly it should be a repair. What year is the 182 mate?

It was on my 1.2 Clio all that was wrong is the headlight smashed along with the Wing. I put on the insurance the car as £1000 so I guess a wing and respray wouldn't be worth it so wrote it off. I haven't heard from that as to what CAT it is yet. If it a CAT D I will buy it back as all I will do is put a wing on it and headlight. So just to clarify if it CAT D nothing has changed MOT and tax still valid with the insurance just on the database it has a CAT D to it ?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

It's on a 54 plate. Currently on 51k miles. Mint condition bar the front...

Last edited:
  Clio 197 f1
i have never heard of tax being made void but yes you do need and m.o.t ..... it would only do that if you have sent your tax back saying its been scrapped. but yeah as said about cat c and d's its done by how much damage is involved aswell.. i.e cat d: wings, bumpers, lock sets, doors, non structual panels no need for vic check and can be put back on the road easy and it will not be registered on the log book as cat A B C are.

cat c tends to be major repair so: chassis leg is bent, rear panels, flitch, can be done but at a cost not worthy needs a vic check as it will be structural parts.

cat b is only fit to sale parts of should not be put back on the road, this has major structural damage and should not be repaired as it will never be safe so roof crushed b post pushed in like a banana shape.

cat A is only fit for a crusher no parts will be sold of it, this usually means there is a bio-hazard so the doors are sealed and its lifted off a truck and crushed cat A is a death or lots of blood and fires as the chemicals that are in cars when set on fire are toxic.

but yeah a vic check is just a vehicle identity check so all there looking for is to make sure you not cloned a car or bodged two cars together front end of one car rear end of another to make it one "good car" i.e a cut and shut as thats not safe if it was in another accident, when a cars repair you ask yourself "will this car react the same way if it was in another crash" and that should be a yes thats why you still need an mot as they dont check if your car is roadworthy

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Zurich want me to use their approved repairer who are nationwide crash repairs. Should I be avoiding this and using a body shop I want? Like Renault themselves?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You were wrong about the Cat C chap. It can have very minor damage. Has nothing to do with area of damage etc. cost is the deciding factor between D/C.

You are right however about contract price repair by Zurich. From memory it's £1200.

You won't pay the difference. Not only would the ombudsman have a field day so would the governing body. Sadly people don't read their policies then complain when something happens they aren't happy with.

Is Zurich your own insurance? You are clearly a 3rd party in all of this.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah big time. You should also be in a hire car already.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
What is the book price of the car?

Looks like Bonnet, bumper, bumper mount (possible), badge, lights, grills and paint.

This could be close as with it needing a wing too, you'll be painting back into the door also.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah big time. You should also be in a hire car already.

I've got another car so that isn't an issue.

What is the book price of the car?

Looks like Bonnet, bumper, bumper mount (possible), badge, lights, grills and paint.

This could be close as with it needing a wing too, you'll be painting back into the door also.

Not sure what the book price is. Similar ones on pistonheads/autotrader seem to be £3700-£4000

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Or is that a little optimistic?

51k miles
Mint bodywork (minus front)
mint alloys
2 new PS3's
Aux belt service done 4 days before including thermostat change and gearbox oil @519
Full years MOT
Full years tax
Cambelt due in 2015.

Clio 197 f1
You were wrong about the Cat C chap. It can have very minor damage. Has nothing to do with area of damage etc. cost is the deciding factor between D/C.

You are right however about contract price repair by Zurich. From memory it's £1200.

You won't pay the difference. Not only would the ombudsman have a field day so would the governing body. Sadly people don't read their policies then complain when something happens they aren't happy with.

Is Zurich your own insurance? You are clearly a 3rd party in all of this.

ohh i stand corrected lol i wasn't sure i only got.. rough ideas of whats involved im a panel beater so i just hit s**t with hammers lol never been in to the estimating and office side, thing is i remember one was saying once about paying the difference as someone i know got hit and i wanted them to bring there car to me, as i would look after it and check every stage but they said they wouldn't as we charged higher then the approved garage that could do it for them so they wouldn't do it? but then that might have been a little lie and play dum pretend they don't know.

and yeah it might have gone up again, i remember when contract repair was only £800 iirc that was morethen insurance that done that.. all you done was loose money.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
2 Grand! bloody hell......honestly where do they pick these numbers from!

Haha no idea. It's currently at my bodyshop for a quote.

Parts list is something along the lines of:

O/S Front Wing
N/S Front Wing respray
Bonnet
Grill
Badge
Bumper
Both Headlights
O/S Headlight washer
O/S Fog light surround

Depends what you paying for the parts at trade, and how much they are ripping off the customer, i assume they work on RRP? we operate alot differently here we put nothing on the parts.............only the labour and spray work.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No one puts anything on parts. A bodyshop charges the rrp like any place would, then the insurance negotiates any discount. You don't take into account discounts at this stage.