ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

www.fastchip.nl - RSTuner Review

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
www.fastchip.nl - RSTuner Review

Ordered this kit off their site Wednesday lunchtime, received it Friday morning!

How it arrived:
4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

I emailed them reguarding the fitting instuctions and they pointed me towards the downloadable .pdf document detailing everything.

I also downloaded the RSTuner software and the VCI driver for the device itself.

Installation was stupidly easy, plug it into the diagnostics port run that into the VCI device and the USB cable from that into my old crappy laptop!

Diagnostics Port:
1.gif

2.gif

Full Setup:
3.gif

Firstly I backed up my current ECU settings in only a few clicks to an .rst file on the laptop.

I got an email from Fastchips asking the mods I had on my car to which I said very mild mods, only a Panel Filter and Cat-Back system. 10 minutes later and my Group N .rst ECU file arrived in my mailbox ready for me to load.

I uploaded this onto my ECU and took the car for a spin.

Over a 20 minute drive I could defiantly notice a difference over the standard ECU map. My car seemed to rev more freely and pickup felt much quicker. Also the higher rev limiter was also nice :)

Another handy feature is the built in actuator tests. There are various things from fuel pump to dash light tests.

Whats also good about the RSTuner software is that future updates are non chargable (free download) and according to Fastchips will include fault code reading and the ability to edit your own ECU maps.

For just over £100 at the current exchange rate you cant really go wrong with this.

Henk was helpful the whole way through my purchase and I would defiantly use Fastchips again.

RSTuner:

http://www.fastchip.nl/content/view/25/37/

Dan.

Last edited:
  Megane 2 GT 165
Two weeks ago I went to Henk from Fastchip to get my ecu fitted with GROUP.N software. He showed me the kit he is selling as RSTuner kit.

It realy is an remarkable kit. Content alread shown above. It can read out temparutes / lambda readings and probably alot more. He also told me he could read out some other sensors from the ESP/ABS (there's some really interesting sensors, henk might tell himself)

Reading and updating the software seemed really easy. Took about 20 minutes to update complete software. (not only the parameters GROUP.N, which is also a possibility.)

Anyway with the group.n software car is more willing to go fast. Pick-up is smoother and mid range felt stronger. 3th and 4th gear surely felt faster. All is based on feeling, no RR is done. Haven't tried the rev-limiter yet, since it's not my driving style. Gearchanges @ 6500rpm is fast enough for me.

Ow and the price is like he is giving it away for free. 150-160euro is even cheap for a group.n remap / ecu update.

172 cup
So can this be used on a standard ECU or a group N to gain more power etc?

Or is it just to see more information?

im confused as i really want buy it lol :dead:

VaVa
Yes. You'll be updating you standard ECU with the grpN program, via the port located under the ashtray. More torque low down, better throttle response and raised rev limit were the main differemces when I had the grpN on my 712. Miss it actually.

These are an absolute give away at this price. Look what ktec/ BBPT charge soley for a GrpN remap......

Megane 2 GT 165
@CupWhite,

as Laingo said with this package you can update the standard ecu with group.n parameters/software. You can also check some more information and test a few electric items, like the fan and shiftgear light (if you have one)

As I understand from Greeny 172, Henk (Fastchip)will send you the group.N by email, for you to upload to the ECU.

Jag Mondeo -Type
Does anyone else think this sounds too good to be true?!

Im always suspicious of things that appear bargains

Lionel Richie
Henk and fastchip have been around for years, they mapped most of BBtunings cars, i think they even mapped k-tec's turbo 172

he's good!

172 cup
@CupWhite,

as Laingo said with this package you can update the standard ecu with group.n parameters/software. You can also check some more information and test a few electric items, like the fan and shiftgear light (if you have one)

As I understand from Greeny 172, Henk (Fastchip)will send you the group.N by email, for you to upload to the ECU.

Thank you very much for the help, It does seem a little to good to be true but if people have brought it already and have said it works and makes a good difference then 150 pounds aint too bad considering a remap is double that.

Also the idea of been able to change the map depending on any future mods etc is very appealing so im gonna give it a go.

These are generic maps tho and not car specific.

Having the car live mapped will be a lot better.

People are selling generic maps on eBay, go figure...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Does anyone else think this sounds too good to be true?!

Im always suspicious of things that appear bargains

Duncan I have the kit as pictured above! It really is so easy to install and get up and running, you just cut the cost due to you doing the work on your car rather than paying someone labour.

The group n file comes free with the kit, you will just have to email Henk to get it as its not available as a free download for obvious reasons.

Its really useful to have as a tool as well due to the future software updates bringing fault codes to the table and the current tests already available for the software.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

But not with the Software and the device to get it uploaded to the ECU. Plus this has the fault diagnostic testing and live graphs of how the cars running etc..

Whats the use of the ECU file without being able to use it? Surely you would have to take it to a tuner to get it installed which would probably bring the cost up to what this kit costs in the first place.

The group n file comes free with the kit

think about it.

These are tweaked standard maps or GP N if you like.

These wont be specific to your car and can be loaded on any 172.

If you want a proper job doing so you can see the benefits on a RR, get the car live mapped so its set up specifically for your mods.

If you want a cheap ECU file look on eBay, anyone can sell these for less than £50 but you get what you pay for.

But not with the Software and the device to get it uploaded to the ECU. Plus this has the fault diagnostic testing and live graphs of how the cars running etc..

Whats the use of the ECU file without being able to use it? Surely you would have to take it to a tuner to get it installed which would probably bring the cost up to what this kit costs in the first place.

Those OBD connector cables are about £10 on eBay, and the software is free if you look in the right places.

Dont be fooled into thinking that this is a bargain.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Of course this isnt as good as a live map on an RR but this whole kit costs £107, where as a live map is gunna be £250+

Like i said above, whats the use of a cheap file off ebay if you cant load it onto your car? Its not just the software though as you cant directly connect the OBD to your laptop. You the the interface that this comes with.

Also in future software releases there will be the option to edit the maps.

Of course this isnt as good as a live map on an RR but this whole kit costs £107, where as a live map is gunna be £250+

Like i said above, whats the use of a cheap file off ebay if you cant load it onto your car? You need this software to do that.

Also in future software releases there will be the option to edit the maps.

take off your blinkers!

Those cables are less than a £10.

heres a VAG one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KKL-Ver-409-1...ryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Not that cable russ I agree that these cant cost much, I mean the VCI interface box inbetween the OBD cable and the laptop, which the USB cable plugs into.

You cant as far as im aware plug the OBD cable straight into your laptops com port, it has to go through the VCI box or such like to communicate with the software.

Henk will be able to confirm this for sure.

if hes selling these at £100 what do you think hes getting them for?

Trust me, i could do this kit for £80 and still make money.

If you want to raise the rev limit then fine, but if you expect the benefits of a proper remap then your sadly mistaken.

Placebo anyone?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
How could you do it for £80
Seems like a unique product, i have never seen anything like it!

Why arent you?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Of course hes going to make money on top of cost price, thats how business's work isnt it?

How much do Rs Tuning etc make on top of their remap price? Probably alot more as its only using a few minutes of their time and they would have bought the kit to do it outright.

I can see where your coming from Russ but this kit I think is a cheaper alternative to a £250 remap. Granted its basicly a generic map but thats obvious!

PLUS! With this you can backup your old ECU config/fault manage and like ive said before in future software releases ECU map editing will be available.

I think Russ has missed the point or is worried about loss of business in some form, so wouldnt listen to any of his advice

Why arent you?

Because i am not in the tuning business as such and this isnt my thing, however from been friends with Paul i know that things like this are cheap and wont offer any benefit over a live map.

Im only offering a balanced arguement, if you think you can remap your car for less than a £100 then go ahead.

If you want to actually gain power and have it set up specifically then get it live mapped.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Why arent you?

Likewise! Like Russ said you can get the OBD cables cheap as chips, but ive never seen the VCI interface box available to purchase anywhere!

Lionel Richie
so to sum up then

if you're a tight git/student (;)) and just want a generic map - RS tuner
if you're loaded and want a custom map - Rs Tuning

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Russ we all know it isnt a live map or as good as a live map!! Whats your point? Your still going to get a gain from it, but granted probably not as much as with a live map.

End of the day, if you have mild mods like me - Panel Filter, Cat-Back system, De-cat etc then this is great. If you have cams etc then maybe not, even though I think Henk will offer you a service to create a map for these mods as said before end of the day every Clio's engine is the same in base form and tuners know how well they will before with certian mods.

I think Russ has missed the point or is worried about loss of business in some form, so wouldnt listen to any of his advice

Sorry who are you?

If you actually look into my company you'll see i have nothing to do with tuning cars.

So kindly shut up. :)

172 cup
I think its a great idea and if its so easy and cheap how come you haven't done this kind of thing before?

I don't want to pay 300+ for a live remap that in all honesty makes little difference anyway when i could get this tool which is useful in many other ways also.

I will post a review once i get mine good or bad