ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

YLOD or Red Light of Death!!!!

F82 M4
I just got this last night. Bloody thing! I've had both the RROD and YLOD now. Not reliable gaming at all. PC > consoles. Anyone know anyone near the Stoke-on-Trent area? I use my PS3 for Blu-rays you see.

F82 M4
I'm just abit annoyed that I paid £400 for a PS3 years ago, and now have to fork out extra due to Sony's incompetence. It's not like I gamed hard on it at all. Like I said it's mainly used as a Blu-ray player.

Listerine & Poledo
yep, none of us like it.

If it's a launch-spec one (or the 40/80 jobs, the ones before the laser was redesigned) you can argue for the retailer to pay for the repair costs, they dont like it, but PS Pro's will give you an engineers report that states it's down to a latent fault in the design.

As mentioend before, I got the local BBC Radio Consumer show to talk to Game, who quickly forked over the repair costs

Merc
Got this just now!! YLOD FML.

I have stripped it apart but will have to wait till monday untill I can get my hand on a heat gun and that paste. A guy at work had this problem, fixed it himself, two months down the line happened again so he got himself a new ps3. He used the oven method which I suppose doesn't help.

Any advice you might want to give me will be much appreciated. Don't fancy shifting about £250 on a new piece, skint enough as it is atm...

Merc
I miss the Megadrive days... 20 years later and it still works

20 years ago the art of been a con wasn't exploited by big manufacturers.I guarantee that they make this part 'serviceable' for the sake of making more money off the public.

Lets see if I can fix it myself and don't have to line the pockets of these cnuts.

Any advice you might want to give me will be much appreciated. Don't fancy shifting about £250 on a new piece, skint enough as it is atm...

Get it back up and running then trade it in. With the 160gb under £200, with a trade in you shouldn't have to spend too much over £100.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I was worried about my Xbox 360 Elite blowing up so traded mine in yesterday.

Got a 250gb Xbox 360 with Deus Ex for £100 after getting £80 trade in for my Elite :)

Merc
Get it back up and running then trade it in. With the 160gb under £200, with a trade in you shouldn't have to spend too much over £100.

Not possible here :(

Only a handfull of places sell ps3's here and don't do trade in. Also doubt that they would be under £200 here. The beauty of lack of competition which leads to the usual local favourite 'extortion' lol.

Very nice offers you guys get. Will be in London in a few weeks, might check out what deals there are about.

Merc
When I reached the gpu and/or cpu you could see the paste on the sides and didn't look right on top either.

Anyone that has done this fix been running their machine without any problems for over 6 months? General consensus is that they go bust even after the fix. Will be looking at doing it properly though.

If your flying to Uk pick a Ps3 up in places like HMV or Dixons Tax Free in departures.

Doing it that way doesnt affect your luggage allowance.

focus st3
Ours lasted 2 months then went again,we rang the bloke who fixed it and he told us his mother had died.Rang him a month later to find hes packed it all in.Sold the games on magpie and bought him an xbox,now he wants a ps3 again!.slim line and extended waranty FTW.

Merc
If your flying to Uk pick a Ps3 up in places like HMV or Dixons Tax Free in departures.

Doing it that way doesnt affect your luggage allowance.

Thought about that. But would run the risk of them been out of stock. That would be a b****h lol.

Seen a local advert today of a lady selling a 60gb like mine. She is asking £140!! But I have offered her £90 lets see if she takes it. Would have one for spares, or leave the one I'm going to fix in the room to watch dvds and the "new" one for gaming.

Tbh after reading into YLOD I think it's a matter of when not if. Haven't heard anything about the slims having this tbh.

Bumder With A Buffer
They only go if the repair isnt done properly in the first place.

Mine went 18 months ago and was still okay after a year. Recently though I haven't used it much (literally twicce in the last 6 months) and BAM YLOD.

Should of taken it into work and done it properly but I couldn't be arsed...so just whacked out the hairdryer and jobs a good un again for over 2 weeks now.

Bumder With A Buffer
When I reached the gpu and/or cpu you could see the paste on the sides and didn't look right on top either.

Anyone that has done this fix been running their machine without any problems for over 6 months? General consensus is that they go bust even after the fix. Will be looking at doing it properly though.

Paste on the side is fine. When you say don't look right what do you mean? any pics??

Merc
Paste on the side is fine. When you say don't look right what do you mean? any pics??

I'll post up pics 2moz. The paste was all over the place and was wet. I assume that what was on the side was supposed to be in the middle.

I can get alchol wipes from work, are these ok to use to wipe the paste off? Also does the paste have a setting time when re-applied?

Merc
Right the lady accepted my £90 offer for her 60gb, comes with guitar hero (guitar + game) plus 4 other games. Going to fix the broken one, putting it in the bedroom for only watching films and using the "new" one for the gaming.

Seems a good price to me. Seen second hand 60gb on play.com going for £170...

Golf R/Leon FR
My 3 year old 40gb model broke last week. Would not read any discs, tried restoring it etc, it works to a certain extent then brings up error 80010514. Bought a brand new slim 160gb from tesco direct for £165.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Probs worth getting a new one, they do it due to an overheating fault, lots of technology in a small pretty much sealed container get very hot, there is a place in bristol Hollywood Nights which will repair the console put a 3 month guarantee on it and also put a custom 6inch cooling fan in the bottom for £60