ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yoko A539s, the worst tyres ever!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
Bought a set of 4 from black circles last July, since then I've put up with general understeer and just comedy handling in the wet. But for £45 a corner fitted I thought I'd got what I'd paid for. Was putting my new discs and pads on the front yesterday, and after 10-11k they're just about legal (so I swapped them over to the front, need the tread for braking etc). I've not changed my driving style in years and have driven more annually on Pirellis and Contis.

In short, I won't be buying any Yokohamas again.

You made them last 10k? Do you drive like a girl? I went through a set on the front in 6k.

And they're awesome tyres in the dry when warm!! Not so good in the wet, but good enough for general driving.

Known around here as the ditchfinder or widowmaker lol

MarkCup used to rate them highly on a dry track, not sure if he still runs them now though.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Ha ha, yeah about 10k! I do a fair bit of driving for work, so don't boot it all day long, just boot it when driving home.

They're at best ok when warm. When cold I've oversteered around the roundabout down the road, not a quality tyre!

It's A Reno
My gf has got these on one of her cars and I like them a lot.
My only criticism is that you don't get any warning that you're at the limit of adhesion.:dapprove:

so I swapped them over to the front, need the tread for braking etc

You should always have your best rubber on the back mate.

alien green rs133
i must of got a good set mine already lasted 8k, look like new, can turn in dead well :rasp: even on wet greasy muddy roads, and i drive like the 17 year old that i am, like a nutta!! lol

10k miles?! You must drive like a f anny then.

Have to say that, barring wet driving, I found they were excellent value and good for the track as well. Not the best tyres, but then they weren't the most expensive either.

I rated them and would still have them as summer tyres.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed.

Low grip levels in the wet, but I found them very very progressive.

In the dry, they put up with abuse and temperatures that would have treadblocks hanging and falling off a set of Michelin PE2's.

I wish they still made them, on my 15s they'd be about £1.00 each.

Megane Trophy
Yeh i didnt think there too bad either.

The yokohama paradas that ive got on mine now are better although not so great in the wet.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
I must admit im not a fan either, found they were very soft rubber and plenty of sideways action in the wet,that was when i had my 1.2, i think it would be suicidal to still them on my car now.
I use Uniroyal-the rain tyre. Not that popular but incredibly good value and superb in the wet :)

clio 200 F4Rt
i always rated the A539. Ran them on my saxo, before moving onto the AVS Sports. Which again i liked alot.

i guess different people extract different things from tyres.

Clio 182.
I had them on my focus, and i found them to be very good in the dry. Not sure how they would be on the 182. They did unnerve me a couple of times in the wet.

Current ride - my Adidas!
I had some on an old MR2 called Fate. Brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "let fate take its course", sadly the course was always straight! Nankangs are like rubberised ice. The 182 I've just bought has got a pair of 'Sunny' tyres up front, don't know why but I get the feeling they will prove to be Federal useless. Why oh why do people fit budgets on a car like that?

clio 200 F4Rt
i ran some Marshall Power Racer 2's on my saxo as a first ever set of cheap track day tyres..... they were awesome! bugger all grip, but never wore down! i think they were made of clay or something! :D

alien green rs133
yokies officially rubbish in snow :( back end skating around like i had trolly wheels on the back????

Monaco Ph2 172
heh. :) I have had A539s on my Williams and 172 for years and only ever 'lost' the Williams once - and that was me trying to be clever in the damp. I've always found them great tyres - especially for high speed cornering. I even preferred them to the Yoko AVS.

Also, the tyre dealers I have spoke to when buying them always comment on how grippy they are. One dealer said they offered 'unique' grip and I should stick with them when I asked him if I should change to a Pirelli or Goodyear for better grip.

oh, and since they have stopped making them, I need a replacement. Any suggestions? :)

nankangs= death.
pretty soft for a budget tyre ive managed to wear them out in under 9k
pirelli pzero neros next :)

^^ The Pirellis might last you a month or two then ;) . I've always found pirellis pretty grippy but very soft and gone in no time, whether I've used them on two wheels or four (by two wheels I mean on my bikes not murdering the Cup lol)

1998 BMW e46 323i
I started this thread having found them to wear v.quickly, purely compared to other tyres I've had on my 172. I've never used them on track, and yes in the dry they're alright,... but the wear factor is poor, and wet use bad, but then I've had OEM tyres and Pirellis expensive stuff, and really wasn't blown away buy them either... Think the best all round I've had were the OEM Conti Sport thingies,..

I had Yokos on my 320i and they felt incredible, rear traction was immense.

What do people really rate and what are available? I'm going to need a set of four soon.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
A539's I had on my Vts were great (in the dry, distinctly average in the wet), but very soft and were looking the worse for wear after about 3k miles. Replaced them with a set of Nankangs as was about to sell the car because they were cheap and actually they weren't as bad as I thought they might be.

My 182 has PE2's on the back that look like they're seen better days but still grip fine - however someone put 'Acceleras' on the front adn round Castle Coombe the other week it was anbelievable amounts of understeer - rubbish tyres. Thinking F1's or Parada 2's will be the replacements.