ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 Coupe detail - machine polish, interior and engine (pic heavy)

White clique
Hi,

With a nice week off work and some time to kill on my various geeky hobbies, 1st on the list was to sort my grubby looking car!!

Before - not too bad on the pics, but swirls and no wax!:

Picture008.gif

Exterior -

Washed - Meguires gold class 2 bucket method etc etc
Dried - Meguires water magnet (ok-ish)
Clayed - ebay special, lubed with Optimum instant detailer & gloss enhancer. You dilute this stuff and use a spray bottle, it lasts ages and is highly recommended.

Now for the exciting bit (for me anyway), first ever machine polish! I got the expert services of clio_rich to do this, i'd seen his work posted here before and he is based in south east and he does alloys / polish / chips etc for a living so i knew i was safe.

With the car freshly clayed, time to get stuck in. Lots of mini swirls that refuse to show up on camera.

A selection of product - not a clue, but they look good as did the 3 different pads he used!

006.gif

002.gif

We were struggling a bit with the sun, the car was getting too hot and was disrupting the flow, so time to stick up the marque:

008-1.gif

An example of a before (key marks by boot catch)

003-1.gif

And after - an AMAZING transformation!! Rich got out the wet and dry for this, i acted all cool and casual but deep down was bricking it! Results speak for themselves :D:

007.gif

After a few hours hard work from Rich, a play with a cute puppy that nearly pissed on my foot, and 2 layers of Meguires deep crystal carnauba wax this is the result. Miles better than i was expecting, i hear a lot about BMW's having hard paint etc so set my expectations low, but I'd say we got a 90% + correction level, and you can barely see any swirls or marks anywhere now! Was really interesting to watch the process take place (damn, i'm being a geek again) :slap:

015.gif

012.gif

013.gif

Picture018.gif

Big huge thanks to clio_rich for a perfect job, a true pro and top bloke, I'd recommend him to anyone! :star::star::star::star::star:

Engine -

A marmite effort, I used a 99p engine degreaser from the pound shop, and also used this on the wheels, i was blown away at the results, stuff paying a tenner for the same thing. I then dressed it with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care, came out a bit too shiney for my liking, but life's hard at times, you have to man up in these situations!

Before:

Picture012.gif

After:

Picture016.gif

Wheels after:

Picture017.gif

Interior -

Now this in an area i'll go cheap on, i dont spend out on interior cleaning at all.
Windows - Tesco's cheapest window cleaner
Dash and plastics - Tesco dash shine
Seats - I think it was even shampoo, dried with a bath towel then some cheap leather wipes. :)
Brushed metal trim - Tesco window cleaner again (works amazing)
Mats and carpet - Ariel excel gel with Acti-lift!

For the mats, hovering them doesnt bring that pile up enough for me, so its dump them in the bath! Warm water and Ariel washing gel, give it a good soaking, look at the dirt lifting out!:

Picture004.gif

Afterwards they are like new, the pile is deep again and they smell like washing:

Picture005.gif

End result:

Picture010.gif

Picture011.gif

Thanks for looking.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Crackin' job and a lovely car mate!! Even though like you say you knew it was safe, can imagine wet and dry moments you were gritting your teeth!

MK2 Clio 172 with Re
lol she's a lively lil thing bless her! Just ask James haha....she often sits at the gate and watches what's goin on!

Was going to come in and say it's a shitter. For the lolz i believe.

However, i've always loved these and this is an incredible example. Just a shame it's not a Z4M hey. Love it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love the Coupe Alan, one of my favourite shapes.

Looks fantastic, detailing can be on a budget mate so don't feel embarrassed about ye old tesco value cleaning products.

Although you're a high loller so you should have said waitrose!

Bumder With A Buffer
Daisy for example :)..Bargain of the century that is..although it doesnt seem as strong as megs etc it still does the job :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I've gone off g101. Megz wheel brightener is miles better and for interior APC is preferred as it's slightly weaker and smells better!!

Alan - Stunnin mate, love ruby red! :)

White clique
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. The credit goes to clio_rich!

Justin - yeah the ipod cable can be a bit of an arse, although it spends most of its life tucked down the side of the seat! Lots of small chip marks on the metal trim from it though which isnt great

Skinny - yeah its a shed really, 3 years old now so clapped out, needs to go in the bin soon! Z4MC would have been cool, a little out of my price range at the time, although when i see them about i do wish i had one (for the looks, the performance would be wasted on me!)

Gally - cheers, i was even rolling with 5x Tesco microfibres for £2.99! I do believe I bought my bucket from Tesco too.

Ali - It was actually the detail session i saw on your Z4MC that made me want to buy both a Z4C in the first place, then get it machined when the time came. I remember seeing the pics and thought "wow i want mine as shiney as that one"! :D The ruby is really standing out now its sunny!

Time for me to get some new wax soon, i will deffo go for an upgrade over the £13 Meguires!

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Looking good! Want to clean my mats in the bath although my mum will kill me will have to improvise...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It looks amazing Alan, really amazing.

I'd love to come out for a spin in it at some point, the z4's have always grabbed me and I'd like to see what being in one is like.

You've done a bang on job on that engine too, does it ever get driven? ;)

White clique
cheers chaps!

Rob yeah you can have a spin in it anytime. I let Rich have a quick go in it when he did the polish, its got a sport button on it and that makes a big difference! A bit cramped in the cabin if you are much over 6 foot though! Its on 20k miles at the moment, just gets driven very gently!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm only 2" over, I'm sure I'd survive :eek:, the German's can't design car's for midgets surely? ;)

If you wouldn't mind PM me with how much ££ it set you back :)