ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4M Roadster

As mentioned above, no major updates as such - just really enjoying the car. It's stupidly responsive in comparison to the the S3. And such a noise.

Few things to add today;

- led rear number plate lights (OEM from BMW with new connectors)
- stubby aerial (again OEM so as not to lose AM reception)

3c274847dcd9e9329e8144c160852fed.jpg

f522936df395bc30546a95268e17185e.jpg

I was also in BMW today talking to the bloke there about other parts, as I'd ordered some caps for my strut bolts. He's a brilliant guy, really loves his ///M cars and very knowledgable. I've ordered a window switch with extra button for folding mirrors and the module required to activate it. Managed to nab a set of mirrors from eBay for not a lot at all. So that'll be the next mod.

I've also bought an E46 M3 strut brace, which finishes off the engine bay Imo, as it comes with strut top covers with the ///M logo (example);

758abad81a63a93ec7629b3108f8f768.jpg

Tomorrow I'll give it a wash and fit the new rear brake light and probably go out for a top down blast!!

Looks sick m8

Do you ever get abuse from people when you have the top down ?

Once. Bipped a mongo trying to push in from the wrong lane at a set of lights, after he starting moving to close to my front end. As we got to the next lights he pulled the same manoeuvre on the car behind (again got beeped), stopped, got out and came over to both of us asking "what the F I had to say" - more aimed at me as I was exposed, the other was a tin top with windows up. I told him he was in the wrong, he should calm down and head back to his kids in the running car and planted my right foot as the lights turned.

True story.

I have some serious unhealthy want for your car sir. Perfect car in the perfect colour.

Doubt ill be able to afford one in circa two years though, as a weekend car - values seem to be going only one way (up).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice upgrades mate, how much was the aerial? I need a new one.

As for top down trouble, unless you live in the ghetto I think any chances of issues are minimal.

It probably helps if you don't wear a snap back. If you wear one of those you're open to whole load of abuse 😂

I have some serious unhealthy want for your car sir. Perfect car in the perfect colour.

Doubt ill be able to afford one in circa two years though, as a weekend car - values seem to be going only one way (up).

I'm hoping so mate, re values.

M3 strut brace ftw

Yep!

Nice upgrades mate, how much was the aerial? I need a new one.

As for top down trouble, unless you live in the ghetto I think any chances of issues are minimal.

Agreed - it was a mongo one off me thinks. The aerial was circa £20 from Hull Stratstone's eGay shop. You can have my old large one if you're desperate? Overnight parts from London Bridge?

It probably helps if you don't wear a snap back. If you wear one of those you're open to whole load of abuse 😂

Ha!

Lovely. Perfect mods.

Ta chap. How's yours?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Good fella. Just did some programming, activated the smg shift lights, changed the warm up light sequence, altered throttle mapping etc. And ordered some kW v2's.

Good fella. Just did some programming, activated the smg shift lights, changed the warm up light sequence, altered throttle mapping etc. And ordered some kW v2's.

Lol. I thought you might succumb. How're the brakes coming along?

Presume the oil warm up is programmable on mine too then? One thing I do love are the lights. Very clever.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Presume the oil warm up is programmable on mine too then? One thing I do love are the lights. Very clever.
Going to get the brakes fitted with the suspension. Would of thought it's programmable, there a thread on cutters, more programmable things being worked on.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

If you need any parts try ordering from abroad. Exchange rate making things nice and cheap!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Asked someone about the programming for the oil lights etc. It's probably possible, but need to find out if folk have been playing with the ecu (which is a different version to the e46 m3).

The new throttle mapping is brilliant. Used a suggested new strategy from the forum, and tweaked the comfort settings myself. Much nicer.

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
Been looking at Z4s myself, would love an M but cant afford it! Are you in west sussex? some of those roads look familiar..

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
@JD Have you experienced any knocking issues from yours, at low speeds? I have left mine back in, but after being inspected I've been told it's fairly normal with M cars. On cutters a few people experience similar on their M3s.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
@JD Have you experienced any knocking issues from yours, at low speeds? I have left mine back in, but after being inspected I've been told it's fairly normal with M cars. On cutters a few people experience similar on their M3s.
M clunk.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Guess it's something I will have to get used to? I can imagine it being a bit embarrassing explaining to passengers. In saying that, it's not really a 'violent' clunk. Bit annoying but if it's normal.....!

@Liam. during gear changes? Yes if so. I've not got used to it so far tbh. Still worries me, but went into BMW for a full health check and out with their "chief tech" (probably a badge they pass around each day) who said it was a sweet as a nut.
The Vanos sound also worries me, but the car really does run well.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
@Liam. during gear changes? Yes if so. I've not got used to it so far tbh. Still worries me, but went into BMW for a full health check and out with their "chief tech" (probably a badge they pass around each day) who said it was a sweet as a nut.
The Vanos sound also worries me, but the car really does run well.
It does smooth out once your used to it. It's better with slow smooth gearshift, or really aggressive shifts.

You can drive yourself mad with these cars listening for vanos, pinking, etc. Just forget about it and crack on. If it's going to happen it will do regardless.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
@JD Yeah generally at low speeds/changing down. I'm exactly the same but just a couple of hours ago I've been told the technician has gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and I have nothing to worry about. It does still slightly bother me though haha.

A very small con in an overall very epic car.

Winters off. Summers on. Rolling noise difference is quite something! Shame it's chucking it down today. Driving up for a wedding in the NW over Easter so will be interesting to see the difference, having only had winter tyre experience so far.

No major updates apart from its first clean for months.
The E46 strut talked about above got lost in the post, so picked up another one on the way down from the NW over the Easter weekend. Ordered the caps and the bolts to fit this/next weekend.
Good old KwikFit have ballsed up the balancing of my front tyres, so that was a nice shaking treat on the 500 mile round trip over Easter...

Twice! Ease of them being around the corner, so I can carry tyres back and forth from the house. Plus I've twice realised I need them fitting that Saturday or Sunday morning before a trip. Looking for somewhere that I can store them, but have no way of transporting them!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wouldn't go near kwik fit in a clio, let alone an M. Cleaned mine for the first time today, massive suspension setup session yesterday, this one may be a keeper.

Ill Saturday and Sunday, recovering today so had the day off work. By about midday I was starting to feel more human so fitted the strut brace;

48fcaeb80b24eaf9be46c25eade5d57a.jpg

aa0172b6552bed93f180a2fc5a4c24f4.jpg

4490f2e4051182a23bb2d1432d782103.jpg

25ca373ec06d99455e6a337bb58277c2.jpg

Genuinely more for aesthetics than function. Most have reported better turn in on track with any sort of brace fitted... Something I will likely not be going near.

For me it finishes off the engine bay bracing (two cross bars are standard) and hides the strut tops with nice ///M logo caps.

Laughable end cost - brace was £140 off eBay, but the different nuts and nut covers took the price to near £230...! Each nut was £7!

Also bought and "fitted" something that was missing when I picked it up... A spanner set.

66920f54e11e99eeb254dd004952beac.jpg

3 series version rather than Z4, so it has mole grips and two spammers which fit everything (so far) in the car.