ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£300 Motorsport Challenge

My photography equipment has been completely geared towards travel and a forthcoming wedding for quite some time now, but I fancied a bit of motorsport shooting as it's used to be my main passion and I've completely lost touch over the past few years.

As I didn't want to throw much money at it, I did some digging and sourced a new Canon 1100D for £100, and a used Tamron 70-300mm VC for £200. So, armed with the cheapest, nastiest camera body I've ever laid eyes on, I headed to Castle Combe today to see if I could get it anything out of it...

14022888165_400a176e6e_c.jpg

IMG_1104 by Harry_S, on Flickr

14019680732_232f80faa8_c.jpg

IMG_1280 by Harry_S, on Flickr

14023341874_1f7fbab161_c.jpg

IMG_0981 by Harry_S, on Flickr

14019744222_f071713aaf_c.jpg

IMG_0775 by Harry_S, on Flickr

14019733602_6b4bfcdbb2_c.jpg

IMG_0735 by Harry_S, on Flickr

13999812306_81a99ae544_c.jpg

IMG_0659 by Harry_S, on Flickr

14023371224_434f5d49e9_c.jpg

IMG_0447 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Great fun, pretty pleased with the results, the little Tamron is an awesome lens for the cash. Considering I was using upwards of £2ks worth of stuff for motorsport 'back in the day' I was actually a little surprised at how well this held up, the sharpness isn't quite there but the AF system kept up quite nicely.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely photos. That GTR must have been getting on to be lifting a front wheel in that first photo lol.

Those 35mm F1.4 shots are making me consider one for mine, but I’m saving for something to replace my Sigma 50mm F1.4 at present.

Lovely photos. That GTR must have been getting on to be lifting a front wheel in that first photo lol.

Those 35mm F1.4 shots are making me consider one for mine, but I’m saving for something to replace my Sigma 50mm F1.4 at present.

The GTR made pretty much everything else look like it was going backwards, incredible to watch, race car like braking etc.

Really really pleased with the 35mm shots, nice and 3D. Tempted to trade the 135mm in towards an 85mm 1.2 next, finding 135mm a bit too long in most circumstances.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The GTR made pretty much everything else look like it was going backwards, incredible to watch, race car like braking etc.

Really really pleased with the 35mm shots, nice and 3D. Tempted to trade the 135mm in towards an 85mm 1.2 next, finding 135mm a bit too long in most circumstances.

I know what you mean, I went out in one at full chat around Oulton Park a few weeks ago driven by ex-touring car driver Andy Middlehurst and was quick to say the least lol.

Yeah, I’d have a 135mm F2 if it wasn’t for me thinking that my 70-200 can pretty much do what it does nearly as good, although I loved the 135 when I used it, probably the sharpest lens I’ve used.

The 85mm F1.2L is an awesome piece of glass, I’m in two minds as to whether I should continue to save for a long time just to finally have one.

E46 M3 182FF & 530i
Love the shot of the orange focus! Really need to get myself to a track day or something and get shooting again, All my gear is just sitting in a corner at the minute!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Great shots on a budget!

Slightly off topic; can you just rock up at a circuit during a track day, just to spectate/take pictures etc?

Wouldn't mind doing that if so...

Yep, I do it regularly for something to do. You can get some good results.

something like a Sigma 50 1.4 to replace the Sigma 50 1.4 ;)

I would, but I have this itching for something with a faster aperture and a red ring on it ;)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I've just been looking at 35mm f/1.4 to buy online - Crazy money! ... I certainly won't be getting one any time soon lol

Depends which one you’re looking at, the Sigma like is used in these is circa £500-600, whereas the Canon 35mm F1.4L is nearly double the price of the Sigma in some places. Neither are cheap though lol.

Depends which one you’re looking at, the Sigma like is used in these is circa £500-600, whereas the Canon 35mm F1.4L is nearly double the price of the Sigma in some places. Neither are cheap though lol.

I'm no pixel peeper but I've owned the Canon and Sigma 35mm 1.4, the Sigma has that extra something right from f1.4, I think it would be pretty hard to justify the Canon now. They're smashing it out of the park with their ART line, lots of people eagerly awaiting whatever they do at 85mm.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Awesome idea, you got some good results from it.

The sigma lens is amazing, every time I put a lens on the camera I think awesome, I then put the sigma on take a shot and think well ... its still not as good as this. However mine might get shunted for a while as I have just replaced some of my gear ready for this years wedding season. Roll on Nikon 85mm f1.4 AF-S G loveliness along with 16-35 F4 and 105mm VR f2.8 macro :D

I'm no pixel peeper but I've owned the Canon and Sigma 35mm 1.4, the Sigma has that extra something right from f1.4, I think it would be pretty hard to justify the Canon now. They're smashing it out of the park with their ART line, lots of people eagerly awaiting whatever they do at 85mm.

Absolutely Canon and Nikon have nothing to match the Art Sigma lenses, they are something else! In fact Its getting hard to justify a Zeiss Otus for 4k when the sigma Art is as good and has AF!

I used to own this lens and had no complaints but sold it when I got a 70-200 2.8. Kinda regret it now as it was a very lightweight lens! Might get the sony g version (same optical quality) but focus limit and hold buttons. Might just get the 70-400 though!

I used to own this lens and had no complaints but sold it when I got a 70-200 2.8. Kinda regret it now as it was a very lightweight lens! Might get the sony g version (same optical quality) but focus limit and hold buttons. Might just get the 70-400 though!

The Sony G version is a stunner, I found it hard to accept such an expensive 70-300, but as soon as I got it in my hands I was sold, built like a tank, super fast AF and very sharp. https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157633233961247/

Quite the a bit better than this Tamron imo, but then that's reflected in the price difference.

I actually think they are the same 'base' lens especially when one puts them side by side, identical size, same filter thread, it's not uncommon for Sony and Tamron to share lenses like the 28-75 2.8. I know they fitted the Sony G with the bells and buttons but having lined up a sony 70-300, a tamron 70-300 usd and a Nikon 70-300 I wouldn't be surprised at all to find their 'base' is identical.

just a thought !

Megane r26
Great shots, really fancied having a go at photography but after seeing friends with there dslr's and some of the settings it put me off a little. Plus I've already got a few too many expensive hobbies lol

You can make it as complicated or simple as you want really.

I tend to either shoot in Auto (just like a normal digital camera) or a mode where you can control the shutter speed (TV) it's called.

That's about it for me and I get some good shots now and again ha.

Megane r26
You can make it as complicated or simple as you want really.

I tend to either shoot in Auto (just like a normal digital camera) or a mode where you can control the shutter speed (TV) it's called.

That's about it for me and I get some good shots now and again ha.

Yeah something I will no doubt get into but at the minute I have one to many expensive hobbies with me constant car tinkering, mountain biking, gym and then the new fad RC drift cars haha

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
No doubt I'll get berated for this one but here is a quick one from my trusty old iPhone (stop cringing lol) from donington yesterday

ty2e8ehy.jpg

As I didn't want to throw much money at it, I did some digging and sourced a new Canon 1100D for £100, and a used Tamron 70-300mm VC for £200. So, armed with the cheapest, nastiest camera body I've ever laid eyes on, I headed to Castle Combe today to see if I could get it anything out of it...

Great fun, pretty pleased with the results, the little Tamron is an awesome lens for the cash. Considering I was using upwards of £2ks worth of stuff for motorsport 'back in the day' I was actually a little surprised at how well this held up, the sharpness isn't quite there but the AF system kept up quite nicely.

I've just invested in a 1100D to attempt to learn the tricks of the photography trade. I'm fully aware it's far from the high-end cameras that the professionals use but as you have demonstrated it is still capable of taking a great photo!

Hopefully I can learn to use mine properly soon. I've been studying your guides stickied in here and I think it is slowly sinking in!