ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v dynamique OR dci65 dynamique?

mk2 slow. . .
ive currently got a 1.2 16v dynamique but im getting quotes for exactly the same price for the dci65 dynamqiue. Is there much in them anyone recommend chanign or keeping what i have. Its a 04 plate that i have at the moment.

any help would be appreciated.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you want from a car, the dci is slow but cheap to tax and amazing fuel economy, whereas the 1.2 is faster (still slow :p).

Personally i'd be looking at the higher powered dci's which have cheap tax, similar insurance but a bit more power. Shame the 100's seem to be rare atm or i'd have one.

Mike

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive owned both and can tell you dci 65 is quicker than a 1.2 16v

mega cheap tax @ £35 a year
60mpg+
loads more torque than a 1.2 makes it bareable around town, i cant stand 1.2s i feel i need to be in 2nd gear everywhere to get anywhere.

Clio 182
Find a dci 80 then remap it. Thats what i did. Mine's now got 105 -110hp and as much, if not more torque than a 182/172. 225nm ish. Makes it fantastic fun to drive. Especialy on eibach pros.

Last edited:
Depends what you want from a car, the dci is slow but cheap to tax and amazing fuel economy, whereas the 1.2 is faster (still slow :p).

Personally i'd be looking at the higher powered dci's which have cheap tax, similar insurance but a bit more power. Shame the 100's seem to be rare atm or i'd have one.
IMO the dci is the quicker car bar the right top end power realy accelerating though the gears there not much in it my 65 isn't far off an 1.4 16V realy

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
dci 80 is what u want, dci 65 is shockingly slow, but then again its economic

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

to be honest both are slow but ive had a 1.2 16v and mum still has one and i couldnt live with one anymore it would kill me but i can live with my 65 no problem due to the torque.

cross country the dci's are quick cars, efortless acceleration in any gear!

Clio 182
They are good. You've got the power in the right range. Overtaking on motorways speeding up from 70 is a doddle and in my car it feels like a much more powerful petrol. They're very refined too. Can't tell its a diesel unless you're driving at under 10mph. And it's almost twice as cheap to run as my old ph1 1.2 and almost twice as powerfull. Mine is as fast, maybe faster, than my brothers BMW 318iS. I'm impressed

Last edited:
  Shed.
Well, up to you.

75bhp with a 6000rpm (maybe a few extra rpm more but i only take it to 5700ish where it starts to scream), no torque lol (unless you get the new engine like ive got then its alrite so long as youve never driven anything better, and 16 valves.

Or

65bhp or 80bhp, 4500rpm rev limit, plenty of torque. 8 valves.

IMO go for the dci 80 and have it remapped.

185lb/ft dCi
in a standard 65 you would never take it past 4000rpm the power has totally gone at that point, mine is remapped and I can now take it up 5000rpm. I must say the torque on my custom map is incredible i've had a rolling start race from about 20mph against my mates 182 and in third gear he was still at the side of me.

only downside is not very high revs, but for day to day driving it feels really quick. foot down power is there!

by the way mine was a custom map with intercooler 100hp 185lb/ft torque. 88hp at the wheels in places.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Just had a wee drive of my dad's dci65 Dynamique. Awesome little car! I drove it normally, never went over 2000rpm, drove it economically tried to do as little revving as possible and it sat at 1000rpm almost the whole time.

Then I, of course, tanned the arse off it. I really would love to get a dci80 and remap it like you Dan D, the torque is very impressive!

So based on that and the fact I've got a 1.2 (8v all-be-it) I would definitely go for the dci. Cheap as fook on tax and petrol! 65mpg+

Clio 182
Exactly. When I turned 21 and was looking to upgrade from my ph1 1.2L I was going to go for a 1.4 or 1.6 16v until someone suggested getting a diesel. Then I read about remapping and I bought my dci 80 a few weeks later. In all honesty I don't think would I enjoy driving a petrol as much now. The torque the dci has makes it so much fun to drive, especially with the remap and I've made quite a few of my friends think differently about diesels now

320d
I'm not a diesel fan atall but i definately should have gone for a dci.

Gf's Mum has a dci 80 and it feels far quicker than mine, the 1.2 16v never feels to be pulling hard where as the dci 80 in 2nd/3rd actually does pack a bit of punch.

I wouldn't think twice about chopping mine in for one.

However I test drove a dci 86 Mk3 and found it equally as gutless as my 1.2 16v Mk2, wasn't impressed atall.

I wouldn't swap a 1.2 16v for a DCi65 it would feel sluggish and wouldn't gain much apart from increase in mpg (although the 1.2 is pretty good anyway). A DCi80 maybe or a DCi100 if you can find one.

I went to look at some "DCi100"s but all turned out to be DCi80s - not sure why they were both mis-advertised. The DCi80s weren't as quick or punchy as I was expecting, it drove lethargicly which surprised me given the torque and kerbweight, although you could tell there was more torque than the 1.2 it didn't drive as effortlessly as I was hoping and there was turbo lag. When extended it didn't feel much faster. The lesser diesel refinement (on acceleration) is something to consider too IMO.

I fancy getting a dci80 to replace my 306 HDi, but is there any benefit?
Depends there different cars the clio more a sporty car against the larger softered riding 306 mpg in the clio is better though
Well, up to you.

75bhp with a 6000rpm (maybe a few extra rpm more but i only take it to 5700ish where it starts to scream), no torque lol (unless you get the new engine like ive got then its alrite so long as youve never driven anything better, and 16 valves.

Or
65bhp or 80bhp, 4500rpm rev limit, plenty of torque. 8 valves.
WHy does the amount of valves matter? only difference in number of valves is how many you have to go worng when the cambelkt breaks.

5k rev limiter though
in a standard 65 you would never take it past 4000rpm the power has totally gone at that point, mine is remapped and I can now take it up 5000rpm. I must say the torque on my custom map is incredible i've had a rolling start race from about 20mph against my mates 182 and in third gear he was still at the side of me.
I take mine all the time over 4 k every day infact best chage up point in first is about 4.5

5k is no problem though

185lb/ft dCi
yeah its just power is starting to drop so I want to take advantage of having lower revs in the next gear. this is what its like on my graph, you can see quite a sharp drop near the end.

img001.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR

There's not that big a difference with the 65 and the 80 tbh.

I had an 80 (no back seats and a SS exhaust) and edde has a 65 (boot full o' tools). On the Nurburgring coming out of a corner, I'd have to be getting quite far through 4th to start catching him.

The 65s are quicker than you'd think, and I'd say without a doubt they're faster than a 1.2 16v.

185lb/ft dCi
im having a bit of bother understanding that ^^ 185bhp @ 2250rpm!?

haha thats what it feels like mate when your foot goes down with that torque. but sadly its not, the top power curver is torque and the bottom one is hp.

I agree that the dci's are under estimated, with the right money you could see a 80 or 100 go far, I would absolutely love it, you could easily match the power of a 1*2 with 65mpg and 30 quid tax!

wouldn't mind a project for when i'm out of uni i think!

haha thats what it feels like mate when your foot goes down with that torque. but sadly its not, the top power curver is torque and the bottom one is hp.

I agree that the dci's are under estimated, with the right money you could see a 80 or 100 go far, I would absolutely love it, you could easily match the power of a 1*2 with 65mpg and 30 quid tax!

wouldn't mind a project for when i'm out of uni i think!
Only thing that needs sorting is big injectors as fuel pump so long as its not puched pressure wise seems ok to about 165hp ish just need big injectors and idealy big turbo work

185lb/ft dCi
what edde says, we need to find some prices on injectors! 165hp in one of these things would be insane!

and martin you need a ride out in mine, get you thinking some more ;)

how much are we talking? any companies in mind?

There two places maybe three who cna do this sort of stuff but its going to be very expensive or you'd have to get the compnaies interested themselves whic woulnd't be easy as they are unlikly to be interested as there more money in other developments

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
get the 1.2turbo and a safe remap 125-130bhp great wee cars

all very well but not going to give half the mpg of a dci not going to be as cheap to tax or insure either! and imo you would then be worth paying the bit extra for an RS model by the time uve declaired your remap to insurance