ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16V vs 1.4 8V

Octavia VRS

Getting fed up reading about Williams vs 172 (as I cant afford either just now!) so starting a new debate!!

Just had a shot of my dads new 1.2 16V and it is not a patch on my 1.4 8 valver! My car feels a lot quicker even tho we r on similar power (a whole 75BHP!!)

Any views on this?

Clio

mines completely standerd 2004 1.2 16v an ive pissed over a few 8v 1.4

only been beaten by one thats cuz the driver hadnt a clue how to drive so i let him race off an lock up at the next lights

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

TBH I dont think either pisses over the other, especially when both are standard, there might be a slight difference but it probably comes down to driver skill more.

Well i would expect the 1.4 to be a bit more spritely, must have more torque surely? Lower down too.. On the road though i cant see there being a difference.

-Rob

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

1.4 8v 75bhp 106mph 11.7 0-60
1.2 16v 75bhp 106mph 11.7 0-60

Seem about equal to me :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by madmax on 15 September 2004
1.4 rt 0-60 is meant to be 10.5 acoording to haynes book ive had a 9.52 ou tof mine

That would be teh mk1, his is a mk2

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by madmax on 15 September 2004
still 1.4 8v though

well, yeah, but he was comparing mk2 against mk2, which is why I showed those figures. There completely different cars (mk1 -mk2). Interesting though taht the mk1 1.4 8v beats the 1.2 8v/16v and 1.4 8v/16v

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Weird, my mate has just bought a mk1 1.4rt and in the 3 runs to 60 we had, he won once, i won once and we drew once, and thats mine with a load of ice in it.:confused:

BTW, with my power saping IK on and boot full of MDF etc I ran a 18.5 1/4 at crail and fully stripped with airbox back on a 17.7. No mods at all, not even exhaust.What do standard 1.2 16v do?

car? need a license 1st!

Ive got a 1.4S (8v) and ive pissed on my mates mk2 1.2 16v and i pissed on a VTR (although i got off the lights quicker and had smoother gear changes)

but ive been in the mk 1.4 8v when my mum had one, and my mate had a 1.4rt mk1, and he pulled away.

i prefer the mk1 to any others (although i wouldnt miss an opportunity to get a 172 cup :D)

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 15 September 2004

Weird, my mate has just bought a mk1 1.4rt and in the 3 runs to 60 we had, he won once, i won once and we drew once, and thats mine with a load of ice in it.:confused:

BTW, with my power saping IK on and boot full of MDF etc I ran a 18.5 1/4 at crail and fully stripped with airbox back on a 17.7. No mods at all, not even exhaust.What do standard 1.2 16v do?
good time that!! best ive done is 18.0 (on 17s)

K20 EG Hatch

Quote: Originally posted by Chewy on 15 September 2004

Ive got a 1.4S (8v) and ive pissed on my mates mk2 1.2 16v and i pissed on a VTR (although i got off the lights quicker and had smoother gear changes)

but ive been in the mk 1.4 8v when my mum had one, and my mate had a 1.4rt mk1, and he pulled away.

i prefer the mk1 to any others (although i wouldnt miss an opportunity to get a 172 cup :D)
that i would have to see!

car? need a license 1st!

tbh, it wasnt really pissed on, but i pulled away from it.

and if i recall correctly.. it had 3 people in and it was just me in mine. Granted this slightly changes things, but i still beat one :p

I have left 1.4 8v Polos and Pug 1.4 8vs.
I believe the Polos are only 60-65bhp.
But I do have a filter and full zorst system but not when I left the Pug.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 15 September 2004

good time that!! best ive done is 18.0 (on 17s)

Cheers was quite pleased myself with it. That was on 195/50/15s so no real loss from them. How come you never did it with the 15s on (apart from it would probbaly wreck the sills?!

BTW Ive never pissed on a VTR, kept up with one with little fuss on the road but at Crail there was almost a second difference.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

1.4 will piss all over a 1.2! Fred ur car was a quick one, but put 2 peeps in the car and go up a hill and the 1.2 will die!

My best time over a 1/4 mile is 18.045s with a spare tyre and 3 dashes of fuel...17s as well!

1.2 16v is alot quicker i would say, between my 1.8 8v and hass 1.2 16v there isnt a massive difference round corners, but on the straights he dony stand a chance.

Alythough alot of that is prolly due to how far im pushing the car, only ahd it 6 weeks, and its been oftf the rod for 2 of them, so havent found its limits yet

erm...

ladies...... i think the question is, which has the better power to weight ratio, when you are talking about so lil different in BHP.

and even then, the winner of a race between the two would be totally down to the individual driver!

imo i would of said the 1.4 8v, im not being basied its just its a elastic band powered tin can, where as the 1.2 16v is an elastic band powered glass jar.

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 15 September 2004

1.4 will piss all over a 1.2! Fred ur car was a quick one, but put 2 peeps in the car and go up a hill and the 1.2 will die!

My best time over a 1/4 mile is 18.045s with a spare tyre and 3 dashes of fuel...17s as well!
A 1.4 what exactly? As Ive said, ive raced 1.4 Polos and Pugs and left them for dead! Ofcourse you lose performance with passenders, its only a diddy 1.2 16v! Guess what, youll lose performance in a 1.4 8v too!

BMW 328 Ci

I pulled away from my mates 1.2 16v at slower speeds but then at above 55mph he cained me. I am in the more mordern mpi 1.2 8v in the mk1 ph3.

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 15 September 2004

erm...

ladies...... i think the question is, which has the better power to weight ratio, when you are talking about so lil different in BHP.

and even then, the winner of a race between the two would be totally down to the individual driver!

imo i would of said the 1.4 8v, im not being basied its just its a elastic band powered tin can, where as the 1.2 16v is an elastic band powered glass jar.

Good point, 1.4 might weigh more..

If you believe its all down to what written on paper (mug)

then.... click here...

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=112838http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=112838 (1.2 16V)

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/id/?id=5335http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/id/?id=5335 (1.4 8v)

oh btw... 1.2 16V

Power-to-weight
81.11 bhp/ton

1.4 8v

Power-to-weight
94.12 bhp/ton!!!!!!!!
Im not sure who you are callling a mug, but im talking from experience not stats.

BMW 328 Ci

If you believe its all down to what written on paper (mug)

then.... click here...

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=112838http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=112838 (1.2 16V)

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/id/?id=5335http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/id/?id=5335 (1.4 8v)

oh btw... 1.2 16V

Power-to-weight
81.11 bhp/ton

1.4 8v

Power-to-weight
94.12 bhp/ton!!!!!!!!
That is a legendery site mate. Been trying to tell my mate his civic 1.3 cant do 0-60 in 10 for ages but couldnt find the figures anywhere. Now i can finally prove it.

Still doesnt have the Mk1 ph3 cars though :(

[Edited by Mack on 15 September 2004 at 9:03pm]

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Thats a Mk1 1.4 youve put there kjb so power to weight would be different. It would appear that the 1.4 is 0.3 sec quicker than the 1.2 down the strip but both 1.2s had 17s on, whose done the strip in a 1.2 with 15s and stripped out, what time did you get?

[Edited by EvilJohn on 15 September 2004 at 9:06pm]

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 15 September 2004

Im not sure who you are callling a mug, but im talking from experience not stats.

no mate i wasnt aiming it at anybody.

its just u can speak to some1 about two different cars and they say "well its got blah blah BHP" but that doesnt mean sh*t at the end of the day.

its down to the driver and factors such as power to weight

no offence attend to anybody on here.

Thats a Mk1 1.4 youve put there kjb.

i thought we were talking about the mark 1.4 8v? (spi) :oops: Vs the modern day 1.2 16V (Mpi?!?!)

[Edited by kingJimBob on 15 September 2004 at 9:07pm]

at the end of the day im pretty sure some1 in a 1.2 16V that was a better driver than me would kick my arse!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

But ur rite...experience means piss all...Depends on the driver! Its unfair to compare to others! And i meant the 1.4 8v vs the 1.2 16v. ok?

im confused about what models we are talking about?

theres been that many in the bloody clio range lol.

all my examples were 1.4 8v MARK 1 Vs a 2002 1.2 16V