ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 Maxim Head Gasket Mission

Clio Maxim 1.4
Hi All,

My head gasket went about 6 months ago now, and a mate of mine had fixed it as he used to work for Renault, it was fine for a month, and then went again.

Time has passed and now my Dad and I are having a go at it!

We have taken most of the cables and parts off (Using a Haynes Manual!)

But have got to a point where we need to drain the Coolant... But the manual says there is a bolt to undo... We cannot see one, only something that looks like it needs a special Renault adapter!!

Can anyone confirm whether we are looking in the right place? (at the back of the engine below the 1st piston)

Just to clarify, it's a 1.4 Maxim, 1997-1998. It's only done 50,000 miles so cant bear to give up on it yet!!

Any help would be brilliant!

Cheers

Dave

M

mini-valver

To drain the coolant just take the lowest hose of the radiator!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
To drain the coolant, disconnect the lower and upper radiator hoses. Will drain out. All you need is a pair of vice grips and you push the clip inwards then pull up. Some strength will be required.

Also this tool? Bolts are either 10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 15mm, 16mm or 19mm for the engine.
I did my head recently and those are the sockets i used. You will also need torx too undo the head bolts and put new ones back in and tighten. Also you may need a torque rench for the required torque.

Clio Maxim 1.4
Thanks rctempire... Seems to help a little...

Any idea how much this could cost?
Any problems you encountered that may help?

Cheers :)

Mk1 Maxim Sport
not alot for the tools, mayb £30 - £40 quid. Get down to halfrauds and have a look theirs loads. as said though to drain the coolant disconnect the radiator hoses. The bottom ones a bit awkward to get to cause theres an electrical plug thing in the way so i couldnt get to mine. i just did the top one and ran the hose pipe through the system to clear it all.

C2 VTS from Fri
I always use slip pliers for disconnecting the lower coolant hose - works a treat. Some people reckon taking the temperature switch out helps. It's on the right hand side about half way down with wires coming out of it.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
that could be the one im on about not too sure, but mynes on the left inline with the hoses, i would use a spanner if i could get to it, thats what im saying i couldnt get my hands down into a big enough gap to get to the clips