ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 does 60 in 7.2seconds?

Has any 1 tuned/modded their 1.6 clio?
If so what mods have you done and what hp can you expect to achieve?

Im just interested as a guy on the coupe forum claims his 1.6 16v megane has 134hp (110 standard) at the fly and (101hp at the wheels) from a service and a remap and he can keep up with 172's and his car does 60 in 7.2seconds?

:S

How does that work then?

He has 134bhp and a 172 has 170bhp I make that 36bhp less in a car that must be similar in weight.

So do you think he can achieve 60 in 7.2 seconds with no major mods or weight reduction? If so shouldnt the Clio 1.6's be even faster as they are lighter than the megane coupe?

errmm.. just no, he is talking out of his backside. I've looked into what is possible with the 1.6 16v engine and on what budget, as I wanted to mod the 1.6 16v to super1600 standard. He might be running 112bhp off a remap, if he's lucky, but no more than that. Unless he has some other major mods. For reference my 1.6 8v does 0-60 in 10.05 seconds at the very best (got that time 3 times on a g-tech)

Golf R/Leon FR
no way he would keep up with a 172 they must be heavier than a 172 for a start and would never get 134bhp from a service and remap!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Theres a lot of 1.2 clios about doing a very good job of looking like 172's. I've seen a couple with xenons as well as 172 wings and bumpers. He probably keeps up with them, just about.

Mazda MX5 1.8
maybe if he had a service and a remap after having lots of other mods...... otherwise i very much doubt it

more than possible to tune the 1.6 16v above and beyond the 134bhp figure but need slightly more than a remap....

182 cup pack
Before getting my 182 cup,I had a 1,4 16v clio with lots of mods...
It was producing 140 bhp and 17,7 kg of torgue....

The 0-60 acceleration was ~8,0+ sec.

It had full exhaust system,bmc cda,throttle body of megane 2,0 16v,ecu was remmaped,crankshaft 1,6 16v,Shrick camms-244° compretion ratio 11/1,and other stuff that cannot write them down cause I dont know the words :D..
I also had a modificated gearbox(from clio mk1 1,4 "s" )

Τhere is NO chance that a Megane with 134 bhp can catch up a ClioRs...Only in his dreams...

Dyno:

Edit:The continuing curves are those with the megane 2,0 16v throttle installed and the other ones are with out it..

Last edited:
  Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Hi everyone, i am this numpty: (signed up properly to supppot your cause)

Btw i will start of by saying i am not the silly bullsh!ting chav you all think i am. Here's my stupidly bazzed up car:

3.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

19.jpg

14.jpg

Now heres how it is:

I know i dont have a stupidly fast car i never say it is, i just say it how it is. I drive proper cars at work all the time, these make a 172 / 182 look like mopeds so i know fast and mine aint ok.

As im sure any of you know with a renault the power you have as standard is down to the luck of the draw due to s**t french tolernaces. (I.e maxi meggys reportss of 150bhp F7R's being as low as 130bhp and some over 160bhp.)

A guy on out club had a bog standard 1.6 RR'd and it came back as 97bhp at the wheels. That must be about 120bhp at the crank.

When i got my car Dec 04 (2001 25k on the clocks), i had a major 36k service and uprated all consumable parts i could.

I then had it RR'd and got 119bhp at the crank (i know the service didnt give me 9bhp over stock, i reckon my cars was probably 116bhp-117bhp stock)

Since then i have turned the EGR off,
Modified the FVR system to maintain an open system while under power (hence second air and fuel intake),
Fitted a k-tec ramcharger (second intake in the bumper and a decent filter):

newfilter4.jpg

Have had about 10 remaps lol, i can now do this myself, limiter is upto 7200rpm, hence 60 in second easy and the power curve is relativly flat after 5k upto 7k which is all good,

My car is the most over serviced car you will ever know which helps more than mods, it has new 0w 40 every 2k, iridium plugs, all new wheel bearings etc etc

This is the main reason my car is good, i only have a 24% transmission loss. There no point have loads of power at the crank if none gets to the road. Other meggy have come in 35-40%. Here are my dyno results as of sep 04:

134bhp @ 5955rpm

101bhp @ wheels

162nm @ 5240rpm

34.4bhp drag power

Maximum reached rpm 7160rpm

ambient air temp = 28.c

intake air temp = 31.c

24% loss

The last bit i want to clear up is the 172 race, ive never said i could beat one. Here is the quote of what i said and this is exactly how it happened. Be his car shagged / him a crap driver, who knows but this is what happened:

Well I had a little drag race with a certain 172 / 182 this morning on the way in.

On my journey in there is this nice set of traffic lights with two lanes that without warning merges into 1 lane.

Anyways it like 6.00am so dead quite, im at the lights in the left lane, this 172 / 182 pulls up beside me in the other lane and starts revving his car and moving about back and forth with the clutch like.

Anyways we burn off when they go green and he gets a well **** start (nice car, cant drive :roll: ) and cannot make up enough room to get in front of me before it goes to 1 lane.

He is now not a happy bunny and is up my arse all the way until we get to the roundabout to get onto dual carriageway.

We both hit the roundabout, me in the slow lane and him diving to the inside of the roundabout to be in the fast lane on exit, we both are bloody having it and to be honest I was shocked I was not creamed. I know my ¼ mile trap speed and I went a bit over that so this single bit of dual carriageway is just over ¼ id say, he only managed to get about 20 feet in front over that distance.

I’d still have one mind
biggrin.gif

Feel free to ask me anything etc, also i have a vid of a 1.6 16v with a shity 57i kit and a back box coming your way. Its clear for all to see the 0-60 time

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I remember a while back that someone on here spent sh*t loads on tuning his 1.6 16v Clio. I mean what is the most bhp from a Clio 1.6 16v engine?.. Is it like 137bhp at fly wheel?. I know nothing about engines lol:eek:.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
What parts mate?

It cant be that hard to believe, 15bhp is all i have gained from the engine. All the rest of the work has been improving the transmission loss to increase performance that is only down 0.8 of a second to 60 at most.

I believe the improvement in air temp is the biggest beniefit. The original K4M is really really bad for heat soak:

You all know on the average 1600cc-2000cc 4 pot 4/5 degrees C = 1bhp yea?

soft2.jpg

temp3.jpg

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
the1 said:
I remember a while back that someone on here spent sh*t loads on tuning his 1.6 16v Clio. I mean what is the most bhp from a Clio 1.6 16v engine?.. Is it like 137bhp at fly wheel?. I know nothing about engines lol:eek:.

Renault themselves tune the K4M lump (1.6 16v as in coupes and clio's) to 220bhp for JWRC cars.

Mines 134bhp at the crank but as im sure your aware crank figures are guesstimated from wheel bhp so i never really use that. I say 101bhp at the wheels.

Trophy Turbo :)
If thats what the lad says then i dont think hell be joining the clio sport forum to lie....... Hes right about the Renaults estimations my 172 had 161Bhp and the other lad with me had 177Bhp both identical cars same day same condtion simular miles etc etc.

So 134bhp isnt optomistic Im my oppinion.

its only 24bhp over standard.

io just cant see him getting 24bhp increase with an inductioon kit and exhaust and a remap. which is basically all he has, no matter how fancy it is.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Yea your not listening, whos to say mine had 110bhp standard just cos thats what renault have written down on a piece of paper?

As i say i bet it was 116bhp-117bhp.

Also the remap is not some crappy off the shelf chip / lookup tables, it a full custom live remap. Like i say done numerous times to get it bang on. Not only does this increase power and torque over the revs it also made me able to hit 60 in 2nd not third (increased limiter from 5.8k to 7.2k). Thats a MAJOR time saver on the 0-60 runs.

Also you all are under-estimating how important maintainance is. Its far far more important than these sort of mods.

As another measure of my engines efficiency i can easily get 50+mpg.

Mate i know what a live map is, and an increased limter wont give you more power. As for the power of your car as standard, from my experience Renaults either meet the specified power, or they are under the renaukt specified power. I have yet to come accross one that has been above standard power before mods.

I would be interested in seeing power graphs etc and also infor on hjow you got your inlet temp down so much.

I am not saying you cant have done it, I am always interested to see what people have been able to do, but I also know that99.9% of the time, someone saying they have gained 10+bhp from airfilter, exhaust and remap, are just wrong.

1.2 16v clio
personally i fink ur chattin knackers. im sure we can find sum1 wid a 172/182 near you which could prove you wrong in a bit of a organised drag. u up for that ? where u based?

tim_foster23 said:
personally i fink ur chattin knackers. im sure we can find sum1 wid a 172/182 near you which could prove you wrong in a bit of a organised drag. u up for that ? where u based?

tim stop being a numpty,. he has quite openly said his car isnt as fast as a 172/182.

oh and dean how doe you return 50mpg?????

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
i thought i had the claim of the fastest 1.6. i done santa at 15.8 my first time in this car last week. but i shouldnt think low 7's were capable if im prob getting very high 7 to mid 8's in a clio.

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
notin special, custom exhaust, air intake, ecu fiddle. few uprated parts. but its stripped. and im not just claiming this as im always at clio sport meets, and keep being told its rapid, which makes it all worth it.

Gaz Sport said:
Has any 1 tuned/modded their 1.6 clio?
If so what mods have you done and what hp can you expect to achieve?

Im just interested as a guy on the coupe forum claims his 1.6 16v megane has 134hp (110 standard) at the fly and (101hp at the wheels) from a service and a remap and he can keep up with 172's and his car does 60 in 7.2seconds?

:S

First comment of several, my car has kept a trophy well behind it round anglesey, and that is running 100bhp, so yes he could keep up with a 172, alot is driver skill and how well the car handles.

134bhp from a remap and service, i think not! Maybe he thinks hes runnign a tdi or something :rofl:

Garf172 said:
no way he would keep up with a 172 they must be heavier than a 172 for a start and would never get 134bhp from a service and remap!

172 will be heavier than a 1.6 due to the engine being bigger :rolleyes:

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Well im sorry but your experience with renault engines must be serioulsy lacking mate. The book figure is an average. Like i say it proven fact from maxi tuned meganes of the +/- deviation.

Also book 0-60's on non renault sport renaults are carried out with 2 adults, 1/2 a tank of fuel and a HUGE 150KG payload. Thats why book mpg, 0-60 and top end figures can be beaten easily in real life.

I didnt say the limiter gave me more power, it allows me to hit 60 without changing into 3rd which saves loads of time.

I know what your saying about people claiming figures from these simple mods, you must get it all the time on here with the amount of chavs who own clios.

BTW i measured the induction kit adding 7bhp, this was on a rolling dyno test. Where you plug a laptop into the OBD 2 port and run in 3rd.

I have the full diagnostic and remaping software.

Obviously an induction kit dont really add any power on a static test as the cars are never hot so you dont benefit from reduced heat soak and they are not moving so you dont take advantage of the venturi effect.

Remapped derv Golf
I have a 172 Cup and Megane 1.6 16v. Now unless your Coupe is hundreds and hundreds of Kg's lighter than the hatch there is no way on earth that in a straight line blat you'd get anywhere near a 172/182 with similar driver. Even with 130bhp!

The Cup does feel like a wippet with a rocket up it's arse after the Meggy

The guy must have fecked up the start and sat there with wheel spin. I've done it many times in the 172. lol

Nice car btw.

Last edited:
  Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Lunner said:
First comment of several, my car has kept a trophy well behind it round anglesey, and that is running 100bhp, so yes he could keep up with a 172, alot is driver skill and how well the car handles.

134bhp from a remap and service, i think not! Maybe he thinks hes runnign a tdi or something :rofl:

Christ how many times, i didnt get 24bhp from a service and a remap.

Read my posts