ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 does 60 in 7.2seconds?

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Mondial172 said:
I have a 172 Cup and Megane 1.6 16v. Now unless your Coupe is hundreds and hundreds of Kg's lighter than the hatch there is no way on earth that in a straight line blat you'd get anywhere near a 172/182 with similar driver. Even with 130bhp!

The guy must have fecked up the start and sat there with wheel spin. I've done it many times in the 172. lol

Nice car btw.

Yea like i said he may not look after his car or be a wnk driver. Who knows.

Thats just how it happened.

Thanks about the car...

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
theduckeatspork said:
tim stop being a numpty,. he has quite openly said his car isnt as fast as a 172/182.

oh and dean how doe you return 50mpg?????

I just do mate.

Just made sure the car is stupidly over serviced, engine and box oil are the best you can get, all bearing's are replaced, i ALWAYS use Super unleaded, i use redex every month, my tyres are the right pressure, my pads dont rub etc.

Im not sure if clios have a trip computer, i can drive at 30 in 5th and get 99.9mpg:

mpg1.jpg

I know most of you guys think im a tit and your welcome to that opinion, but if i get a few of ya to listen to a few things im saying and maybe you even learn something thats all good.

BTW excuse the horrible orange dials and black needle caps. Its like this now:

trim17.jpg

dials.jpg

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
lol there are 5 people in the uk who have them as far as i know. Maybe i will tell you all how to do it if i stick around.

Depends how much abuse i get :lol:

I did them myself like everything else.

Remapped derv Golf
That looks slow after all the 172 speedo videos i've seen here in the past. I make it about 8 secs though

They all look about 5 secs on the video btw. Speak to Subway lol

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Yea there no doubt a 172 will be quick. Its designed for performance unlike mine. Although id be supprised if they were much under book.... 6.0 is it?

What you make that time? It aint none of this 10 second bollox thats being mentioned is it.

Remapped derv Golf
No their not but some people have made freaky fast speedo videos.

Most of the modded 172/182's are well into the 5's though.

I make that about 8 secs yeah but thats according to the speedo. You need to get down the 1/4 miles places and test it out.

I timed my standard VTR at about 8 on the speedo as well.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Yea i mean that would be the best proof, im not all that bothered though tbh mate.

I find the gtec good enough for measuring times, i just use it to compare before and after a mod.

Also i have full (very accurate) dyno and timing software on the laptop via OBD 2:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Its just simple engine read outs, you can spot issues and determine whats causing them.

If you know what your doing you can read every single process the ECU is carrying out.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Fair enough... :)

8000 posts and you still aint a member!!!! you'd be one of the highest posters where i come from.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
i think you that said dean was teling fibs should say sorry! its really annoying when people say things arnt possible, because thire car wont do it. when i read the post i didnt see anything out of the ordinary! as for you lot not readding the full thread, its a waste of time posting....

dean can you get that software for a 1.2 diet engine (1997)?

laterz

Dean, I dont want to argue with you as you do seem a decent guy (not a chav) although u do seem to have your head in the clouds with this servicing adds HP theory :rasp: I understand how servicing can regain lost HP but not increase it in the amount your saying. What else I cant understand is why you banned me for making a sarcastic remark,

my remark by the way was something along the lines of.....

I have read through the forum and these are the mods I can see you have done

Neons - 5hp
Elf sticker - 5hp
Oil - 10hp
Sub and HU - 10hp
etc....

which should line up against your claimed 0-60 time.

all i wanted you to do was tell me what you had done to the car as my brother who is a member of your forum has the same car (internet is full of morons with 0-60 in 7 seconds 1.6 cars) but you replied by kicking me off the forum and reverted to calling me a toss pot and an idiot!
Ok, get mad but at least prove me wrong before you do so!!!!! its a good job people on this forum are not as morngy as the guys on the coupe forum are you wouldnt have had your chance to state your side of the story.

Any ways nice car but still cant believe 0-60 in 7.2seconds, mine is due a 36k service so maybe i will get 182hp ;) and to 60 in 5.2.

Sorry couldnt resist
:quiet:

mate we can all make the mpg clock read 99.9! as for returning 50mpg, by any chance is that reset for a trip on the motorway? that i could understand, but 50mpg in normal use i still cant Believe. also you havent answered, how did you reduce your inlet temperature so much? i'd also like more info on your mods and a power graph. if you can explain / back up your claims t en i'll be the first to applaud you and start picking your brains.

Snotter's
to me this sounds like a load of s**t,your car has been mapped ten times !!! why ? a live map gets the most from the car so surely it only needs to be done once,how have you reduced transmission loss apart from replacing a few bits ? The backbox wont have done anything and the ik may be as good as the std box.Are all your figures from your gameboy,sorry pc or have you been on the rollers

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Gaz Sport said:
Dean, I dont want to argue with you as you do seem a decent guy (not a chav) although u do seem to have your head in the clouds with this servicing adds HP theory :rasp: I understand how servicing can regain lost HP but not increase it in the amount your saying. What else I cant understand is why you banned me for making a sarcastic remark,

my remark by the way was something along the lines of.....

I have read through the forum and these are the mods I can see you have done

Neons - 5hp
Elf sticker - 5hp
Oil - 10hp
Sub and HU - 10hp
etc....

which should line up against your claimed 0-60 time.

all i wanted you to do was tell me what you had done to the car as my brother who is a member of your forum has the same car (internet is full of morons with 0-60 in 7 seconds 1.6 cars) but you replied by kicking me off the forum and reverted to calling me a toss pot and an idiot!
Ok, get mad but at least prove me wrong before you do so!!!!! its a good job people on this forum are not as morngy as the guys on the coupe forum are you wouldnt have had your chance to state your side of the story.

Any ways nice car but still cant believe 0-60 in 7.2seconds, mine is due a 36k service so maybe i will get 182hp ;) and to 60 in 5.2.

Sorry couldnt resist
:quiet:

Well you obviously have not read anything ive said, ive never said the service added any BHP, its just what i had measured on a RR after the service. How can i say it gave me extra as i didnt have it done before?????????????

I dont have no subs?????????????????????????

The elf sticker is standard on my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt ban anyone????????????????????????????

Watch the vid on the other page of a 7.8-8.0 0-60 run, on a near standard car...............

I got mad as everyone knows it's true (second higest poster and well respected i think) on the club and you a newbie came on and juts flared me without even asking any questions...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
come on guys, give him a break.

he has come on to discuss the claims and try and back it up. He Dean just wants a discussion not some silly little boys trying to post some lass ass replies.

It may be a load of s**t, it may be true, it is actually one of the more interesting threads really recently.

Shame its about a megane ;) but maybe thats why!!!

cool car btw :)

^^ Seb I have asked him for infor regarding his claims, and he ahs still yet to provide it!

I'll ask you again dean - can we have more info on -

1) Your mods
2) How you reduced air tempreture SO much
3) Rolling road graphs
4) And the circumstances in which you return 50mpg - eg around town, on motorway etc as I dont see how you manage that! As for achieving 99.9 well we can all do that crusing along at 30mph in 5th!

Answer these and satisfy my doubts and I'll repsect you as a car tuner, dont answer them and I'll just think your a prat.

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
honestly mate its physically not possible, my clio has no interior and your coupe has full interior + a heavier car, plus near enough the same engine give or take.

Megane Coupe 2002
i dont see why deano would lie about it...he obviously knows more than most and is an example on how to look after your car.

its a known fact that the book values are an average and the bhp he's stating isnt unattainable just because none of you guys have spent money like himself on tuning his car to perfection

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
yes but the fact is he hasnt tuned his car, its not a piano. you actually need to put uprated parts on the car to achieve these figures.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
What exactly has this guy said which is soo unbelievable, A lot of people have jumped straight in and said 7.2 to 60 bull shizzle etc etc,

All this guy stated was that he beat one 172 and even said it was most likley to have been down to a bad driver or badly maintained 172. even posted a video of his car doing a 60 run in around 8 secs
He has claimed 134 bhp @ the crank on a RR with minor mods and by keeping the car well maintained I cant remember if he posted a RR slip/graph or just the info, but im sure that if he has RR'd it then he can post a scan of the slip??

He said has the ability to live remap and increase the rev limiter, (and posted pages from the software) he never said it gave him more power just that it eliminates a gear change on a 0-60 run. He has the equipment to re-map/check the cars perfomance so has done it a number of times - if you had this facility would you use it only once or as often as you could to keep your car in tip top condition????

He also never said that he got a 25 bhp increase from the mods just thats what it pulled after they were done. the book figure is a wnk average number, eash car is different, you get some fast ones and some slow ones.

A lot can be said about maintaining your car properly, how many stock cars tested for the average bhp/performance figures would have been running at there optimum as this car is?

CoupeDean said:
Well you obviously have not read anything ive said, ive never said the service added any BHP, its just what i had measured on a RR after the service. How can i say it gave me extra as i didnt have it done before?????????????

So where have you got the gains from then if it wasnt from the service? I think your trying to say your car has 119hp as standard which is b*ll*x. The only way you could increase on stock hp that much with out physical adding a mod (ecu, induction, etc)is to apply a known fix to the car ie in Clio 172's case inlet match or replacing stock parts with uprated parts.

could you please just list the mods you have done with out fancy pictures of your blue speedo so its clear where you think you have got the gains from.

Although Im not saying you cant get 134hp out of the megane 1.6 what im having an hard time believing is your claimed 0-60 time which you say you achieved with what appears to be very little effort/mods. If you removed back seats spare wheel etc and did some proper weight reduction then ok totally believable.

Oh and chill out! :D

Caramel said:
where did this 7.2 come from then, because thats what im going by

Thats the title of the thread,

This was assumed by the guy who posted the thread on the basis that the driver of the coupe beat a 172.

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
Gaz Sport said:
If you removed back seats spare wheel etc and did some proper weight reduction then ok totally believable.

exactly and even then i doubt that the coupe could do that

Gaz Sport said:
So where have you got the gains from then if it wasnt from the service? I think your trying to say your car has 119hp as standard which is b*ll*x. The only way you could increase on stock hp that much with out physical adding a mod (ecu, induction, etc)is to apply a known fix to the car ie in Clio 172's case inlet match or replacing stock parts with uprated parts.

Who's to say what the stock bhp was on that particular car,
The book figures are an average, by the definition of average some will be higher and some will be lower than the 110 bhp listed. :rasp:

Gaz Sport said:
Has any 1 tuned/modded their 1.6 clio?
If so what mods have you done and what hp can you expect to achieve?

Im just interested as a guy on the coupe forum claims his 1.6 16v megane has 134hp (110 standard) at the fly and (101hp at the wheels) from a service and a remap and he can keep up with 172's and his car does 60 in 7.2seconds?

:S

I never said he said he could beat 172's, it’s up to you how you interpret keeping up! But how I interpret his story about his race is that he’s stating he kept up with it.

Any way the race scenario is irrelevant as you have to many variables, drivers, dodgy car, was he even racing etc. The 0-60 is more of a yes/no scenario, can an 1100kg (approx) with 134hp do 60 in 7.2 seconds.... I think not, but hey I’m not always right.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
CrazyK said:
What exactly has this guy said which is soo unbelievable, A lot of people have jumped straight in and said 7.2 to 60 bull shizzle etc etc,

All this guy stated was that he beat one 172 and even said it was most likley to have been down to a bad driver or badly maintained 172. even posted a video of his car doing a 60 run in around 8 secs
He has claimed 134 bhp @ the crank on a RR with minor mods and by keeping the car well maintained I cant remember if he posted a RR slip/graph or just the info, but im sure that if he has RR'd it then he can post a scan of the slip??

He said has the ability to live remap and increase the rev limiter, (and posted pages from the software) he never said it gave him more power just that it eliminates a gear change on a 0-60 run. He has the equipment to re-map/check the cars perfomance so has done it a number of times - if you had this facility would you use it only once or as often as you could to keep your car in tip top condition????

He also never said that he got a 25 bhp increase from the mods just thats what it pulled after they were done. the book figure is a wnk average number, eash car is different, you get some fast ones and some slow ones.

A lot can be said about maintaining your car properly, how many stock cars tested for the average bhp/performance figures would have been running at there optimum as this car is?

A guy who understands what im saying. Thank you.

Obvioulsy the importance of proper maintainance is not known to most of you guys.

One think CrazyK, i never said i beat a 172, i said how much i was beaten by (not as much as i thought)

Gaz also i didnt keep up with it it was faster at all times im just saying how much it beat me by after just over 1/4 mile.

Like ive said a million times on my club you need a sh!t load of power over the other guy to really leave him standing. A 172 vs mine is not a big enough difference to really cream me.

Like has been said just keep it friendly, i am and its deano vs the world lol

I know its anoying you get some bloke saying how his little 1600cc is a bit nippy but im not really claiming anything crazy tbh.

Also can i sak how many of you have had RR results, what have your loss's been?

Last edited:
  Snotter's
you sound a decent guy but your figures are bullshit,you can back it up with what you want but there is no way you have 134 bhp with what you have done to the car.A 172 vs a 1.6 meg with the same driver would not be close,the 172 would s**t on it.Car looks nice btw

I havnt had a rr done on my current car but will be shortly to see what my mods have done to the car.

I have recently installed...

grp N ecu - (wanted a remap but am going to have that done when I get cams )

Pipercross Viper

Janspeed Sports cat

and need to book some time off to sort out the manifold work.

not expecting great gains but if I get high 170's low 180's I will be happy

only mod i have done to outside of the car is 182 wheels which i got for free ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You've had a bit of a rough time on here so far Dean LOL

I think what you say is plausible - my Cup in straight line runs seems to be consistently quicker than others - so I can well believe that Renault engines vary hugely...I just happened to get a good one :)

Couple that with religious maintenance and a good set-up and I'd not be too surprised that you got near 130bhp or so if you also got a good'un.

To whoever said higher revs doesn't increase power - my understanding is to get more power you need to burn more fuel. To burn more fuel you need more air. To get more air, you either need forced induction...or more revs. That's why Honda can get 240bhp from an S2000 - it revs to 9,000 rpm. That's also why F1 cars rev to something like 18-20,000 rpm. So with more revs, and a set-up to make sure it's being fuelled properly, surely that power figure is achievable?

Or am I talking sh*te?

As for 50mpg from your motor - why can't anyone believe that? I regularly see 40+mpg from my (allegedly) 172 bhp 2.0 litre Cup.

Snotter's
The honda engine produces peak power higher up the revs,you can inc a rev limit but if your peak power is say at 6k and you rev to 7k whats the point.I dont see how engines can vary by over 20% which is what he's saying