ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 or 2.0l

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Been meaning to ask this for a while - how the hell do you easily easily (Easily?!) tell if your engine, be it all of it or the bottom end is a 1.8 or a 2.0l?

The reason I ask it when I bought the car I noticed that the engine had a 2.0l sticker on the top, I removed this and it has 2.0l written on top of the engine in black marker..

When I asked the then current owner he said, oh Im not sure.. Drove the car and it revd to a normal valvers limit so I though someone must have been having a joke - bought it willingly everything was fine...

took it for a cambelt replacement at one garage and they rang me 2hrs later asking me if it was indeed a 1.8 or 2.0l (sh*t garage by the way theyre both the same!) had it fitted somewhere else but forgot to ask them about the engine..

The part that confuses me is the fact that every other valver Ive raced (all 3 of them wowsers!) Ive beaten by a good car length at least and the fact that as posted in another topic my car goes to warp speed around the 3.2k mark..

Standard as apart from the Janspeed system..

Can anyone help me? Please note I doubt ill be annoyed if I find out theres a 2.0l sat under there... :)

On the front of the block it has a stamped tin tag that says F7P for 1800 or F7R for 2000cc.

Unless is been changed of course! lol

the only other way is to check the stroke. easiest and roughest way to do it si take a spark plug out, stick a stick or rid in it. Measure how far it goes form top of the stroke to bottom. an 1800 will be 93 and a 2000 98 roughly.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 06 February 2004

On the front of the block it has a stamped tin tag that says F7P for 1800 or F7R for 2000cc.

Unless is been changed of course! lol

the only other way is to check the stroke. easiest and roughest way to do it si take a spark plug out, stick a stick or rid in it. Measure how far it goes form top of the stroke to bottom. an 1800 will be 93 and a 2000 98 roughly.
Cm?

erm could check the dipstick.... cos they are different depending on 1.8 or 2.0..... there is a black (Or maybe blue - Benr!) splodge of paint on the top of the 1.8 and normally a white splodge on the top of the 2.0 dipstick.

Or I maybe completely wrong on this one LMAO.

Trophy

Ways to tell are by looking at the starter motor to see if it is a small bodied one (2.0) or larger one (1.8), or try and look at the actual block, if it has extra strenghening webbing then its a 2.0

Mat.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Thats the confusing part - I asked this in another thread it pull like stink form just over 3k about 3.2k doesnt seem to do much at 4.5k as a normal valver should...

Im not the best under a bonnet I must admit - think Ill get they haynes out later...

Its quite usual to get a "quick" Valver - look at AaronCs one. So that might explain the pulling away by a cars length over other Valvers.

Whether or not youre a fan of the "tractor engine" F7R 2.0, youve got to admit that it would pull away by a fair bit more than a car length by high speeds. As a rule of thumb for you, my standard 2.0 Willy pulls away about ten car lengths over the two Valvers Ive had organised races with from about 50-10*. On the downside, my Willy tops at a ton in 4th, whereas my Valver would get almost that in 3rd!

I remember that my old Valver did actually have a fair torque peak from about 2-3000rpm (dies again from 3-4000rpm), so they can be hussled along fairly quickly when cold along the twisties - but you really notice the turbo diesel-like pull that the Willy has at those revs.

I personally reckon youve got a quick Valver rather than a 2.0 bottom end - I cant see someone going to the trouble of converting the lump and then leaving the bill for well over £1000 out!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

True Ben - I suppose one good way to tell is to find myself a Willy and give chase...

The guy I bought it off wasnt exactly clued up when I asked him, well anything about thh car really!

Id be happy with a fast valver - I can only build on it (or do whats been at the back of my mind ever since I bought it... wait till I can afford a Willy...)

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 06 February 2004

On the downside, my Willy tops at a ton in 4th, whereas my Valver would get almost that in 3rd!
wish my valver went that well. 4th hits the limiter at 105!

to add wood to the fire - it could be a williams engne still running on the standard chip - this would want resolving ASAP, best way is to check the engine number plate, its under the inlet manifold on the throttle body side

the first number on the top line will be either F7P or F7R