ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10 former keepers on a 182!?

Clio 182 *FF
Hi all, i'm new to the Clio forum and was hoping i could get a question answered, or more some decent advice given from cliosport owners!

I'm looking to buy a decent 182 cup, have never had one before, mates have had them and they've always interested me to point i want to try one myself, I've been looking for quite a while to try and find the perfect one, and just now one has come up, all the box's seem to be ticked for me, all that could be ticked over the phone, i plan to view it tomorrow.

However I've done a background check its had 10 REGISTERED KEEPERS, and i cant help but be a little skeptical. The last keeper change was November 2010, which is re-assuring... or is it? that says to me theres no problems with it as surely the previous keeper would have got rid of it? hmm. the car is an 04 plate black 182 *BX04 COH* its done 65 000 miles the cam belts were done last year, and to be honest it looks like a neat car to me and having spoke to the dealer seems all in check although who believes a word that comes out a dealers mouth when your potentially parting with your hard earned cash- my opinion.

I'm just looking for some advice, maybe past experiences of lots of former keepers, because 10 seems like an awful lot to me!
here is the link to the ad
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...keywords/182/postcode/b946pf/page/6?logcode=p
any well educated replies would be much appreciated, Thanks, Josh

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
You tend to find some of these cars have quite a few owners. I don't personally see it as a bad thing, mine has had 6 previous owners - The first two owned it for 3 years each and then it had 4 owners within 18 months.. They are cheap cars and I personally think young people buy them and then realise after a few months they can't afford to run them and pay the insurance.

If its tidy and got good history I don't see it as an issue at all.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
Last edited:
  FF Racing Blue 182
when i looked at mine it had seven thats one a year now im the 8th and the car was sound only problem was the boot leak

Cup, Lude & Z
Mines had 8! Few dealers at the start of its life, I also considered the fact some people may of had it as a weekend car/2nd car.

Bought mine and had Fred at BTM check it out and chucked it on RR both of which found no real faults.

She drives sweet as

MK3 Clio DCI 86
Mine has 8 also. It's sweet as a nut!
I used to worry about the number of owners but not anymore :)

Inferno 225 cup
I'm the 9th on my meg and it put a buyer off, and it's perfect condition by me and the previous owners.

Like said above people buy them and not realise that they can't afford to run them.

53 Clio's & counting
Well common sense would indicate a high number of owners would lean towards the car maybe having some issues - each new owner finding out and then selling on - but although sometimes justified, is a bit nieve.

I would check the car over as much as you can, and as long as it checks out I'd buy it :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Like Russ says, buy a car based on its condition and service history. Number of previous owners means very little.

I sold a trophy once less than a year old and the new owner was owner number 4!!

Think my Golf has 5 previous owners.

Alot of people don't keep a car more than 12 months, I definatly don't...

As said above, aslong as the service history and HPI check out ok, I don't see a problem.

Ph 1 172
I'm the 7th owner of my phase 1. And other than tyres and the usual service, Cambelt and dephaser pulley it's ran like a dream. I would much rather have a car with 10 owners but great service history than a car with 2 owners and patchy history

Wouldn't bother me.

I sold my brand new 200 after a month and a half. These are the kind of cars that change hands a lot.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My last 182 has had 3 owners in a year! Making it 5 now.

Clio 197
Same as above really, the number of owners play no importance to whether I buy a car or not I go off condition and history ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why would you sell a car after only having it for that long surely you lost a unfair amount on the price of the car?.

Some people don't care.

I drive what I want to drive. If I'm bored of my car after a month and stand to lose money in order to shift it, I will. There is nothing worse than driving a car you're bored of.

Hence why I change cars every 3-4 weeks! Lol

Clio 182 arctic
Why would you sell a car after only having it for that long surely you lost a unfair amount on the price of the car?.

I think its like Lawro said, young people buying and not being able to afford.
They have a couple of grand to splash on a car so see these little bargains and decide to try and show off to their mates with a 2L. Then they bankrupt themselves with daft insurance premiums, then they get stung with £250 road tax (sorry ved for the pedants) and because they burn their tyres out in mcd's car park they go to get some more and realise they are £40 each for ditch finders or up to £100 each for decent rubber. Then they have to put fuel in the thing which drinks it like crazy when they bounce it off the limiter in 1st and 2nd everywhere they go. you get the idea.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I think its like Lawro said, young people buying and not being able to afford.
They have a couple of grand to splash on a car so see these little bargains and decide to try and show off to their mates with a 2L. Then they bankrupt themselves with daft insurance premiums, then they get stung with £250 road tax (sorry ved for the pedants) and because they burn their tyres out in mcd's car park they go to get some more and realise they are £40 each for ditch finders or up to £100 each for decent rubber. Then they have to put fuel in the thing which drinks it like crazy when they bounce it off the limiter in 1st and 2nd everywhere they go. you get the idea.

This could well be the case

Pot luck really

Got bored of it and MPG was utter s**te. More to the story though with RUK being ballsacks as usual.

Didn't lose as Renault f**ked up the order so I ended up getting a pile of extras at no cost.

FF Clio 182
End of the day if the car has done 50k with 10 owners or 50k with just 1 it's still done 50k. I am the 13th owner of my clio just means my car is a bit of a **** :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
:quiet:

On a serious note when I worked at Renault we had a guy come and change his car every 2 -3 months for cash balance. We knew he was a dealer but hey what can you do.

Take his money!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Legally yes. At Renault our limit was £5000 per customer.

Me personally, I'll take any amount. I don't care.

M135i
Haha I suppose its not til you start banking £10k in 10s and 20s from the "sale" of a 172 that they start asking questions :nono:

Astra gsi turbo
Like Russ says, buy a car based on its condition and service history. Number of previous owners means very little.

I sold a trophy once less than a year old and the new owner was owner number 4!!

I have a pm from you saying my rb had to many owners when I was selling. It only had 7

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The issue I see with multiple owners is none of them generally giving a f*** about the long term health prospects of the car.

Taking the 50k mile example with 1 versus 10 owners...would people not see more value in the one owner model? The owner who's likely driven it with a degree of sympathy as they know if they don't, a big bill could be on the horizon in the future.

Whereas the 10 owners would probably just rag it everywhere as what does it matter if the clutch never sees 60k, they'll be shot of it in six months time.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a pm from you saying my rb had to many owners when I was selling. It only had 7

That's for retail though. I'm talking about when I buy a car for myself. I don't care if its had 7 or 70!

If I'm buying a car to sell on, why would I choose a 7 owner example over a 1/2/3 owner?

Its not that bad.... Dependent on how it's been kept. If it does bother you there are loads of 182's on the market so it shouldn't be hard to find one similar with less owners.