ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10 year absence! Enter Ph1 172!

PH1 Oddy, M140i
Hi folks! Well after just over 10 years of owning other metal I am just about back behind the wheel of a Clio again! Like lots of memories the ones we harbour for our early cars can often be recalled through rose tinted specs! I was 22 when I sold my ph1 1.2 MTV edition and jumped behind the wheel of a 6k old Mk2 172 and was totally blown away! I traveled from Edinburgh to coventry (via london where I met my Dad) to pick this car up and it was the start of an obsession that many of you will recognise and like me remember so fondly!

I owned and loved my Iceberg FF 172 for just over 4 years. Back then GDi motor sport was the place to take you car if you wanted to have it tuned. Needless to say I spent a fortune and was probably one of the earlier developed Clio owners. LEDA coilovers, ported and matched inlets, inlet and exhaust cams, prospeed SS 2.5 inch exhaust (Cardiff!!) braided lines, ITG IK and all run with an engine chip developed by some guy up in Yorkshire!! Anyway, I was no expert but I was passionate about it all.

I moved into Subarus for their AWD as I was spending more and more time in the Alps as a pro snowboarder/coach. I even kept the Clio for a year after my first Impreza (blob) as I couldn't bare to sell it! Alas I did, for pennies, and truth be known, despite several other Imprezas that I sank mortgages into, never really loved those cars quite like my Clio!

I am 35 now, married with 2 kids, run a bike shop business in central Scotland (Synergy cycles) and I bought my first new car just last year - A BMW M140i. It's a serious bit of kit! 3.0l, 6 cylinder twin-scroll turbo, multi link rear suspension, perfectly weighted, LSD, lots of toys and still does 30mpg and has a boot! Most importantly its discreet and go unnoticed everywhere it goes (de-badged too!) But for all it's awesomeness, power and refinement I cant even be bothered to keep it clean!

SO....I have carefully sourced a PH1 172 in Odyessy Blue with just 50k on the clock, full history, much loved example completely standard (save a reconditioned steering wheel!) for me to once again discover the love!! I will travel to collect this gem at the end of the week (it's just been MOT'd today with no advisories). I have agreed what I believe to be a fair price (most will say too high!!) at £3900 for a great car. I believe the value of these now will be reasonable protected and who knows in a few years time may well be worth a few more quid - but this is not an investment for future financial gain but one for myself to once again get stuck in with a car and enjoy owning, maintaining, improving and polishing again!! And my 4 year old can be there for the ride!

I only intend to tax it for 6 months of the year and have it dry stored for the rest. I look forward to meeting lots of you at meets and shows and to anyone that remembers me from before, I look forward to catching up....hopefully over a beer! I gather Gaz might even still be around???!!!! Here's the obligatory pics of new and old and some from the middle!

If you're still reading, well done...I have gone on a bit! Im going to 'bolt on' some mods! Bilstein B14's or Cup and cooksport set up?? 16mm Spacers all round?? Build thread will follow as I intend to do a full 'under body' powder coating mission....that's it....maybe!!!

Current shed: On winters

Impeza: forged 2.5 cosworth block, td05 20g turbo, Miltek, ported and polished, Porsche 6 pots, full sti s204 trim, 420bhp.

Impreza: 2.0 Blob prodrive, custom leather.

My 172 amongst friends!

My 172,

2005 Clio meet, midlands?

The Ph1....... Super excited!

Last edited:
  SG9 Forester STi
Great write up! Looks like you've picked up a really nice one! I picked up a ph1 the other week as a birthday present for my partner but it...needs work to say the least 😂.
It has been over 5 years since I've owned a clio and when I drove it back I honestly said that I could easily have one as my main car. They're such god value for money. I could never part with my Scooby though!

The wagon must be SO much fun at 420bhp! Mines only at 340bhp, so tempted to get working on it but it's getting on a bit now and I don't want to tempt fate!

Get a pic of the blob up as that one isn't working and I want to be nosy!

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Great write up! Looks like you've picked up a really nice one! I picked up a ph1 the other week as a birthday present for my partner but it...needs work to say the least 😂.
It has been over 5 years since I've owned a clio and when I drove it back I honestly said that I could easily have one as my main car. They're such god value for money. I could never part with my Scooby though!

The wagon must be SO much fun at 420bhp! Mines only at 340bhp, so tempted to get working on it but it's getting on a bit now and I don't want to tempt fate!

Get a pic of the blob up as that one isn't working and I want to be nosy!

More Pics of wagon ?
Is your avatar santa pod start line ?
Mate has blob wagon same colour and similar spec to yours .

Nice ph1 !

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Glad you found one mate! Bet your looking forward to getting it! Enjoy.

SG9 Forester STi
More Pics of wagon ?
Is your avatar santa pod start line ?
Mate has blob wagon same colour and similar spec to yours .

Nice ph1 !
Yes my avatar pic is the start line at Santa Pod.
Looking forward to seeing the blob eye pics OP, get em up!

SG9 Forester STi
What times do you run?
I've only taken it up there the once, 2nd run I blew the boost pipe off but the good run I ran a 13.5. So much more to be had out of that car though as I ran a 13.8 on NOS in the clio at North Weald. Santa Pod is a pain though as just as you're getting a feel for the car your 3 runs are done.

PH1 Oddy, M140i
Thanks guys! What...more Impreza?? What's happened here!! Ill dig em out if I must but those (long) days are behind me! I can export my build threads from Scottish scoobies if you like? The wagon was reasonable famous given its build and finish.

Super excited about the Ph1, there is certainly not many like this one around ( I am familiar the 2 famous example from here, Phas1sr and Craigs but Im paying attention to Coops posts too!) with such little milage and obvious love shown! I think I am going to plumb for the B14 coilovers with some 16mm spacers all round.....

PH1 Oddy, M140i
The Impreza for those interested:

RUNNING GEAR: 18" OZ Ultraleggera in Suzuki gold (with Dunlop Sportmax RT's) and ROTA GRA's (Dunlop winter4D'd) Alloys in anthracite, Eibach springs -30mm, Porsche GT3 RS 6 pot front brakes, rear STi Brembo's with DBA high carbon discs, Full Whiteline kit including ALK/ADK and adjustable droplinks/anti roll bar.

ENGINE: STi 2.5 forged block with V9 STi heads and cams, V11 TMIC with STi undertray, TD05 billet 20g RA Turbo with TurboSmart wastgate, Harvey & Scott up pipe, Cosworth Pistons + HG's, ACL bearings, Manely rods, ARP head studs, heat wrapped headers, ported throttle body, TurboSmart supersonic DV, Cosworth air filter, adjustable fuel reg, Miltech SS exhaust with high flow spec C cat, Cosworth oil pump, RCM water pump, Cosworth cambelt, uprated tensioner, Cosworth pressure caps, NGK plugs and Walbro 225 fuel pump. RA 3 port catch can system with blue hoses.

ECUTEK remap by Andy Forrest 420 bhp with 432 lbs/ft @ 1.6 bar running RACEROM soft wear (including Flat-foot shifting, auto rev matching and launch control). Blue and black colour coded bay.

Full STi Ver 6 STi 6 speed box conversion with R160 rear diff

TRIM: Full custom blue STi interior, Spec JDM S204 dash trim with black Prodrive alloy gear knob, JVC double din 7in ICE system. DEPO Gauges (Oil temp and pressure in A-pillar and Boost in Air vent). STi swoop clocks.

EXTERIOR: Prodrive mud flaps, Black Zunsport grilles, RA motorsport decals, Red Muteki wheel nuts, Private reg 'X8 WRX' and removable Tow Bar (for the bikes!)

IMG_4592 by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

IMG_4117 by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

1512346_10154915096875046_6535317077829336889_n by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

fcf9a74d by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

0d0b98140b0494b7fe2f7df10dde55ca by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

Blob eye prodrive with customer black leather and red piping:

PB100071 by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

PB100083 by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

PB100072 by Synergy Snowsports, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great thread so far..... will keep an eye on this! :smile:

The new PH1 looks stunning and sounds a cracking buy, I would have no hesitation paying that for it if it's that good - re. coilovers however, YES! That and the spacers will be a good look, looks a little "4x4" at the mo!

*Awaits more photos on collection* :cool:

PH1 Oddy, M140i
Love it. There can’t be many around in that condition.

I hope not! WHo knows it might make a few quid in the future! There were 116 Odyssey's originally I gather....

I might just do that if time permits. I like the idea of getting her show ready!

Welcome back mate, had some nice cars in the last few years.
That pic with Ali's Vee is at his parents isn't it?

That's right! DOes he still venture here?

Welcome back, mate!

When you say Gaz... which Gaz do you mean....?

Glasgow Gaz? Had a blue 172 Cup...famously rented a VW Golf for a run up north.......No one would of wanted it back!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I hope not! WHo knows it might make a few quid in the future! There were 116 Odyssey's originally I gather....

I might just do that if time permits. I like the idea of getting her show ready!

That's right! DOes he still venture here?

Glasgow Gaz? Had a blue 172 Cup...famously rented a VW Golf for a run up north.......No one would of wanted it back!!!

Haha the very boy - we were talking about that recently, i’m best man at his wedding this September!

PH1 Oddy, M140i
HA! GReat stuff, send him my best. We used to hook up quite a lot when I stayed in Glasgow. WHat's he behind the wheel of these days?! Dare I ask?

Pics above now sorted....bloody photobucket has become a sh*t free hosting site!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
welcome back, and great purchase, looks a lot cleaner than my odyssey! yes 116 originally for UK market, no idea how many left!
mines one of the lucky ones with minimal rust in it, i would remove your rear doorcards for a check into the sills to be safe!
coilovers and spacers get my seal of approval, i would suggest coilovers over springs as these phase 1's with the smaller 15" wheels demand a more..... generous drop imo
looking forward to seeing progress!

PH1 Oddy, M140i
welcome back, and great purchase, looks a lot cleaner than my odyssey! yes 116 originally for UK market, no idea how many left!
mines one of the lucky ones with minimal rust in it, i would remove your rear doorcards for a check into the sills to be safe!
coilovers and spacers get my seal of approval, i would suggest coilovers over springs as these phase 1's with the smaller 15" wheels demand a more..... generous drop imo
looking forward to seeing progress!

Roger the sill rot...I'll be sure to check it out. Car is pretty clean having spent most of its life indoors. I am going to plumb for Bilsteins and drop it accordingly (30mm?) and add some HC spacers - 20mm I think although I gather 25 works on Ph1 - must begin to upset steering input a little at that width though?! To be honest Im mainly looking forward to polishing it! It's been a while since I gave any love to a car!

Over time I'll aim to get a full under body resto/powder coating down. I actually contacted RenTec up here in Edinburgh to see if they would mind running their eyes over it and they said fine for £50p/h inc vat But I also mentioned about getting all a full set of poly bushes done including top mounts etc which came to £500 all in and they would run their eye over everything while doing that!

Blob looks nice, bet it goes well.

Blob was a stable hand - never skipped a beat. It was the Hawkeye that entertained....and bled the wallet!