ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 GTI Track Project

Clio 182 full fat
Been meaning to get this up for some while, as I thought some would like but also to document the progress.

It’s a 106 GTI Diablo red which I originally bought to use as daily and a trip to the ring whilst looking for a newer car. I got it off a friend, who had already stuck Bilstein b8's dampers and springs on it.

pug.jpg

normal_IMG_5367_d.jpg

pug1.jpg

Now the idea was to come back from the ring and flog it. Well this did not happen as you can see and it’s ended up as a project, bit of fun on the side. It was managing 9 min lap times on the ring with traffic but the only worry was safety in such a tin, so a cage was installed.

peugeot106.jpg

IMG00046-20101002-1658.jpg

IMG00020-20100927-1730.jpg

IMG00074-20101006-2222.jpg

IMG00075-20101006-2324.jpg

IMG00076-20101006-2325.jpg

IMG00074-20101016-1550.jpg

DCi 100
That cage is definitely worth having!

Looking forward to seeing things evolve, would love to own a 106GTI.

Clio 182 full fat
At this point, a friend wanted to go half on the project. To cut costs and have an extra pair of hands, it seemed ideal. So anyway cracking on....Next up was sorting the engine bay and rust, which I was quite amazed with, as I’ve seen loads of projects with really bad rust.

IMG00093-20101016-1633.jpg

IMG00095-20101023-2010.jpg

IMG00096-20101023-2055.jpg

IMG-20101205-00059.jpg

More to come.

I was soo close to buying one of these before I got a 172, in the same colour aswell.
I love these cars, even if some think they are chavvy.

Whats the rest of your plans for it?

Clio 182 full fat
Back to inside, making the dash actually fit the cage which was a bit of a nightmare.

IMG-20101212-00087.jpg

Now needs to be sent off to get flocked.

Next up is getting it back on its feet.

The rear beam was ruined, so went about getting it refurbished. Ride height has been changed for 15”, not entirely sure what alloys yet, but something light and to fit some 4 pots.

IMG-20110105-00064.jpg

Bad picture, really need to sort out a camera because blackberry’s are terrible!

Fitted with Poly bushes.

This is pretty much where it is at, need to fit the remanding polybushes to the wishbones and gearbox mount. Fit new ball joints, refit suspension, new track rods ends and drop links and it will be ready to hit the floor again which will be sorted in the next few weeks.

Oh and had this sitting around for a while now.. Rotrex c30/74 and pretty much everything necessary to get it going bar intercooler and some pipes.

IMG-20101120-00030.jpg

P1080796.jpg

Seat

IMG00084-20100704-1718.jpg

Future plans

Fit charger
Rebuild engine with forged pistons
Quaife ATB diff
Buy ECU

Obviously a lot more stuff to do, but its will come in with updates...

Needs to all be done for May/June

Tom

Clio 182 full fat
Awesome mate, subscribed.

<3 Gti's.

Will you detail it for me :eek:

Brilliant work!

Why thank you!

Awesome!

I'm breaking a GTi at the minute if there's anything you need.

I may be in touch, thanks.

Looks great...I have a diablo red GTI too and love it!

I remember this on ZSOC, wondered where it went.

Yeah not keen on 106owners or ZSOC if im honnest. Just browse for parts occasionally :)

Looking gooooood! Nice to see you're doing it properly too.

Thanks! Just want to have some fun with it now really!

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome stuff mate, look forward to seeing the progress on this!

Clio 182 full fat
Will be watching this, looks awesome!
Can't decide whether I'd rather a 106 or pay a little more on insurance for a PH1...

Get a well looked after (there about) 106 GTI or Rallye. I've owned a Trophy, clio 182 FF and I much prefer the 106 for the pure fun factor. Clio being the better all rounder though.

Looks awesome mate.

Can you text me your address though, i need to post these bits out to you.

Sorry lover, will do!

Scotland! :eek:

;)

Monaco 172
haha no way... Either that or I fancy a Focus RS Mk1 after finding how cheap the insurance is today.

Fair enough, I love my GTI, have owned a 172 PH2 and an MX-5 and I find the GTI to be more fun than both (Clio not as chuckable but the better car/MX5 underpowered).

Project looks good bud, keep up the good work, I will have to put mine up on here at some point.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Quite possibly the most underrated car on here (Ive had a VTS and GTi) I will have another :)
Tend to hear nothing but positive comments about them.

Great project, wish I had the time/space/knowledge to do something like this.

Clio 182 full fat
Tend to hear nothing but positive comments about them.

Great project, wish I had the time/space/knowledge to do something like this.

Thanks, It will be a slow build.

Most people when I tell them its a 106, ask why im bothering.

Clio 182 full fat
Small update!

Both lower ball joints have been replaced with new ones as they were wreaked, absolute ball ache with no press!

wishbones.jpg

New Poly bushes in both arms.

The car is now under sealed too which was not the nicest of job , as not much room and need to sort out better lighting. It took us both quite a while as so much surface rust needed removing, but at least no serious rust. Will need touching up in places.

under.jpg

Arches also degreased, cleaned and sealed.

arches.jpg

Overall its now quite a clean car, the bodywork is not the best but then how far do you go with a track car? It’s filled with tiny car park dents.

Roof will be re sprayed as its peeling as well as front bumper when it’s back on the road.

Clio 182 full fat
Some progress today...

Well managed to get majority of the loom back in mainly off memory. We really should have taken a lot more pictures. Not really a problem, just spending more time working it out and routing so it ends up much less cluttered!

bay1.jpg

Cleaned alot up today ready for a coat of paint tomorrow. Just standard black.

New track rods end fitted,
New drop links
Polybush ARB bushes fitted
Wishbones re fitted

A shed load to do tomorrow!

Renault 5 Turbo
Awesome project mate can't wait to see this finished, used to have one of these cars a few years ago, and was surprised how good they were straight out the box, but with what your doing to this its going to be a little beast.

You'll be showing up a lot more larger expensive machinery on the track :)

172 - 106gti project
I'm the number 2, and just a little update just to say the polycarbonate windows are being ordered this week ;)

The plan for the weekend coming up is to;

Refit fuel tank + fuel lines
Suspension back on

The general idea at the moment is to get the car to a stage where it is water tight and mobile so we can roll it out the garage and start cleaning/working on the engine!

Ben