ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16s Slow U Down

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Just had 16" (Speedline Chrono) 195 45 wheels & tyres put on after running on my originals and i seem to notice a poorer acceraltion.

Is this down to me having Yoko tyres which deffinetly make it a smoother ride but is this why it FEELS like its got less pull?

Any 0-60 times to back-up my theory? Cheers.

I had 16s on my car with Yoko 205/25/16s all round - and I noticed an improvement when I stuck some original wheels back on (admittedly with slimmer 195/50/15 tyres than the original 185/55s). But the difference was slim. The prices for 16" tyres are a bit steep though compared to my new size, although the grip (not to be confused with handling) was better with the bigger wheels/tyres.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/286000-286999/286766_15_full.jpg

i put 17s on my last car(admittedly a nova!but a nice 1)everyone told me that i would lose my acceleration but to tell you the truth it was just as fast as before!!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

What do people hear use when at race meetings or santa pod?

And whats the differnences in times (between 15, 16, 17")?

Yep bigger wheels, slower times! Thats why people use smaller wheels for sprint runs etc. Big wheels are only good for looking at. The car will (in your case) handle best with the wheels it came out the factory with. Thats why they put them on!

Quote: Originally posted by damo16v on 26 February 2003

i put 17s on my last car(admittedly a nova!but a nice 1)everyone told me that i would lose my acceleration but to tell you the truth it was just as fast as before!!

Novas had quite torquey engines, also they have no accleration in the first place ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok 1.2 16v

14s 0-60 11.98secs

16s 0-60 12.89secs

but it feels the same

(all figures done by a mate and a stopwatch done 3 times and then averaged)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

i use 16s and feel no difference what so ever infact i feel an improvement in the hadling being not so twitchy cornering hard. (more stability)

If 15s make a quicker time my 1/4 mile mist be at least 0.500s quicker! making it 15.493 1/4 mile!!!!

I hate to say it but it is all true bigger wheels make a slower car. i have noticed that 16V are def slower when they are on bigger wheels cos they dont have as much torque. i dont know about the handling but i have found that i can take them round corners as well and im on 15s admittdley lowered on konis shocks and springs.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I prefer the sterdier drive with 195 tyres on too.

Tom, uve reasured me, cause if it only puts a second on a 1.2 then it should put less than .5 on my valver but ill be getting better starts due to improved grip. ;)

there will be minimal difference on your car

1/4 miles, the quickest cars usually run 13s or 14s with a really high profile with larger wheels on the rear of the car to reduce the squatting that occurs under hard accelleration

Revels Mum & Sister

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 27 February 2003

Quote: Originally posted by damo16v on 26 February 2003

Novas had quite torquey engines, also they have no accleration in the first place ;)
Hehe you cheeky wipper snapper. I had a Nova GTE with Twin 40s, cams. That accelerated.

ANyway. I have 15" (195/50) on mine and borrowed a mates 17"s a while back but felt like slowed down accelration wise. Size that comes out the factory is usually best. Else they wouldnt put them on there.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

you wouldnt ay that if you drove my clio when it was on 14s

it was f**king dangerous

190 BHP Willy 2

I was running 16s for about 18 months then put my phase 2s back on and I noticed quite a difference. It was definately quicker on the uptake. handling wise I also noticed a slight improvement but not as noticeable as the acceleration.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ive come to the conclusion that my de-cat pipe had reduced torque and wider wheels emphasised this loss. I KNOW this cause i had some work done today and got the guy to put my cat back on while he was doing it, to descover the difference! OMG! Bu*ger me! Its like have a turbo fitted. I cant believe how acceration has picked up. Literally the biggest improvement since having the valver.

Puts me back in my seat again, and actually wheel span with-out meaning to on my new 195 Yokos. :D- this was actual my face when putting my foot down. I cant believe it, torques WELL up! Just by puttind cat back on.