ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v’s Not Catching R5 GT Turbo

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My mates picked up his Renault 5 GT Turbo and boy is its not slow, putting his foot down in 5th has the same effect as dropping it in my 16v at about 75mph. His cars only had a group A carb and turned the turbo boost up a bit (aprox 160bhp:eek:) , but it can pull away from me at mid to top range which is a bit of a worry.

Hes getting a bit too big for his boots though considering its nearly an an antigue. Still a nice car but he cant get the grip from a standing start and hes too afraid to race of the mark. :mad: Knows hell lose but wont admit it.:cool: Well i might be a bit hasty thier but anyone else raced an R5 GT TURBO in thier VALVER? Please post any R5 comments, Cheers. :devilish:

Clio 1.8 16v

2of my mates have R5 turbos beat em of the line in 1st gear coz they cant get the power down but as soon as they hit 2nd gear u have no chance!!!they will beat a valver n e day even at the top end it beats mine like 30 to 120 not sure what he has out of his top end though.mind u not so long ago i went to a RNRoad day for the 5s and i kept up with the 1 who i was racin me down a dual lane not sure what he had done to it though.oh and u will beat a standard 5 turbo i have its just when they start moddin have no chance

ive raced one 5 turbo and killed it. Never found a clio that could even pretend to keep up with me round my area (im not saying ove got the fastet clio before any one starts slating me)

My housemates 5 is fairly standard just usual exhaust, few turns on the actuator arm, induction kit etc and that is fairly even with my Williams, at the end of the day its got similar power to a valver, better torque curve but is made out of old baked bean tins and so is loads lighter. Last night though an evo 6 put us both in our place but thats a different story...

Unbelieveably, the GT Turbo Phase 2 weighs more than a 16v or Williams - not by much, but enought to put the whole "tin can" thing to bed. Smae with loads of small cars - why do people think that a VTS/106/205 have a major weight advantage over a 16v? They all weigh 950-1000kg. Ok, so losing a bit of weight is good enough for a Cup to see off a 172, but not by as much as youd think!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 26 January 2003

Unbelieveably, the GT Turbo Phase 2 weighs more than a 16v or Williams - not by much, but enought to put the whole "tin can" thing to bed. Smae with loads of small cars - why do people think that a VTS/106/205 have a major weight advantage over a 16v? They all weigh 950-1000kg. Ok, so losing a bit of weight is good enough for a Cup to see off a 172, but not by as much as youd think!
The Phase 2 R5 GT Turbo only 830kgs, so surely the 16v or Willy weigh more than that?!

Willy weighs 100kg more than a five, but evo printed the 5s weight wrong (surprise) in the bit in the back so loads of people get it wrong. Still they do take some pretty pictures.

When i had my bog std GT Turbo a std valver would not stay with it 0-60.

manufacturers figures were 0-60 7.2 and 128mph top end.

admittedly a valver would pull away between 80-100 but std 0-60 was in the low 8s and top end was approx 134mph.

Feel free to check the figures!!

hi all,

as a member of RTOC i was looking at this thread closely, i notice some incorrect statements,

rich d is quite right, r5 gtt weighs 830kgs std, ive had mine on a weighbridge with a full tank of fuel, stainless exhaust and 15s the whole car weighed 855kgs,

ive had it on the rollers where it made 150bhp and 166lbft torque at 1 bar, with a poor performing turbo (getting replaced with a t3 roller bearing very soon) id have to say most r5s are putting out this power and unless the drivers very sh*t or the engine out of tune, it will easily leave a clio 16v, even a williams, regular visitors to santa pod will realise that most r5s can do a sub 15 1/4 mile and that well tuned ones can do 13s, a seriously tuned r5 i.e putting out over 200bhp will leave nigh on any clio, unless it had a gtt conversion, you do the math on power to weigh ratios,

i havent come on here to argue, as i am a peaceful friendly member from RTOC, besides i like clio williams, wouldnt swop it for one though r5s are getting rare and nice ones even rarer, plus all the popping banging and flames out of the exhaust never fail to make me smile:cool:

Ha ha! Caught out by Evo then! I never usually trust those damn listing things and so Ive just learnt never to again! :oops::oops::oops:

to tell you the truth unless your a complete clio nut, dont bother with the conversion, i have a real r5 gtt, im not a fan of engine conversions, it messes with the geometry of the car, only got to look at nova 2.016v yes they are quick but suffer from major understeer on bends so a lesser fast car could gobble them up on a bend, most nova owners dont understand that! a quick car is not necessarily in a straight line, have to say mine is thou and through the bends, love it

i agree. big engine novas dont handle m mate mike had 30ks worth of courtney nova with stage 4 titanium everything it had about 350-380, bout 300 atw. but f**k me it cornered like a bus. i had a 1.6 fully tuned to grp A spec and that would loose a standard 5.

Willy weighs 100Kg more than a Renault 5? That quite a lot then really. 80Kg is 12 stone...

I really like Renault 5s. If I had loads of morey I would buy a standard one and kit it up a treat!! (not that its been done before hehehe!!). I saw one in my local for £650. 77k, good condition, no clutch. Was quite tempted but it would cost me a fortune to insure two cars!!

BMW 320d Sport

I saw one for £600 and it was a nail. The kid must have lost his mind thinking hed get more than fifty quid for it. Oil pissing out the breather hose into a shampoo bottle every time you started the engine. Apparently after half an hour youd have to get out and empty the bottle of oil back into the top of the engine and start again!

"Hes getting a bit too big for his boots though considering its nearly an an antigue". "Knows hell lose but wont admit it."

on the way home from warrington last night a cossie over too me n mickey he was behind me so he went for it over took me and as he got in front i booted it i hit 130 from 70 in 5th gear in no time looked in my mirror 16v no where :oops: he as also tried passing me on the inside at about 15mph similar story he got at the side of me i floor it 16v no chance this is after putting his 15s on and me wheel spinnin in 2nd and 3rd.

as for gettin to big for my boots i also own a 16v n its no match for my turbo

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ha Ha, wondered if youd read this. :cool:

Obviously cant read though cause i said a race OFF THE MARK! :p Ive been in his GTT and it is quicker than any 16v without some serious mods, but beware cause the only reason he owns such a quick car is cause he killed his 16v bootin it too hard!

Still all said and done an R5s ugly as sin and has got a mailto:p@s%">p@s% poor 1st gear, but it doesnt stop you feeling jealous when it flies off on the motorway! :devilish:

YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF MY CLIO ISNT THAT GOOD IS IT THE ENGINE WENT DO TO THE ALTERNATOR BELT SNAPPNIG THUS GETTING UNDER THE TIMING BELT AS FOR A PISS POOR FIRST GEAR WHICH EVENTUALLY LED TO THE PROBLEMS I HAD WITH IT. AS FOR A PISS POOR FIRST GEAR THIS IS DUE TO TRCTION WITH THE STANDARD 13S N TO MUCH POWER YOU JUST WAIT BOY OH FORGOT TO TELL YOU MATE THAT MR2 TURBO TRIED RACIN ME MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... IT GAVE UP......