ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v engine ticking

S2000

Just changed the rocker cover gasket and spark plugs on the 16v and now its making kind of a ticking noise which gets faster as you accelerate. I accidently left the two breather pipes off the front first and when I started the engine I could hear what sounded like air being sucked in but it wasnt ticking. So switched off and connected the pipes and then when I started it again it started making this ticking noise.

Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers

is it a quick tapping, theres no reason y taking off a gasket should cause ticking did u do anything else. u got the right plugs???

are they the same plugs that went in that came out but new. long shoot but could b hitting crown of piston if longer. im guessin now

S2000

not been out in it just left it running in the garage, idle and revving it seems ok but will take it round the block in the morning

172 Cup

as far as i know all valvers make a ticky noise but if it didnt before i dont know why it would now? maybe try some different oil? something a bit thicker.

Paul

S2000

Dont tell me that

I wanted 15W 50 but garage couldnt get any, I was told by multiple sources that 10W40 would be ok

hmmmmmm.......

If it deffo wasnt making this ticking noise before.........

How loud is the ticking...just about audiable?

Could be the injectors, but try swapping back to your old plugs to see if it goes.

S2000

Its not loud loud but it is obvious and easily noticeable from inside or outside the car.

Will try old plugs and see. If it goes what does that mean? Why would the new plugs make this noise?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

have you disturbed a plug lead. eg-broke the rubber insulation causing it to arch to the head or something.

that happened to me... i whacked in some wynns hydraulic lifter fluid ran it for ten miles then changed oil to 15 50

[Edited by gunnergibson on 04 June 2004 at 11:02pm]

Skoda Fabia vRS

did you use Magnatec oil by any chance, if you did that will be the cause, change it to somethin else

its done it to god knows how many people on here

S2000

Oh yeah......

Dont know what oil they used but.....

Changed the spark plugs back, still did it. Took the rocker cover back off to see if I could see anything, nope. So, fitted another rocker cover gasket and re-assembled, still did it. Went for a drive round the block a few times to see if it drove ok and it seemed alright. Noise wasnt all that loud from inside the car while driving along but could hear it and was still quite loud from outside at tickover. Later that day dove it down to the shops prob a couple hundred yards away, by the time I got there was thinking hmm cant really hear it now. Let it idle a bit while listening for it and it was gone. Drove back home, no noise. Put car in garage a few hours later, no noise. Been fine ever since.

Most strange.

You checked to see if your exhaust is blowing around the cat joins?

This always makes a ticking noise and can be heard inside the car.

if the car was sitting a while whilst you were working on it, they might just have drained a little, run it till warm to see if it goes away, they are louder for a while if engine hasnt been running for a few days, these hoses shouldnt have afected it at all