ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v wheels I refurb'd!

Alfa Romeo 156 Lusso
Hi all,

thought I'd share a couple of photos of the set of 16v alloys that I've just refurbished (big thanks to MattRT for selling me them).
It's taken a while, but was quite an enjoyable project really... sanded them down to get rid of all the gouges and scrapes, then they've had a total of 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of Renault Iceberg Silver colour, then 3 coats of laquer. Might add some more laquer yet, not sure!

Anyway - here's the photos...

Before:

alloys1.gif

alloys9.gif

And the afters:

IMGP1731.gif

IMGP1732.gif

IMGP1735.gif

So - just ready for a set of tyres, and I'm away!

cheers
J

Alfa Romeo 156 Lusso
jwarren2k2 said:
they look quality mate!! nice one!

how long did it roughly take to do them?

Each wheel took about 1 hour to get smooth, that's using an electric sander with coarse, then medium, then fine grade paper. Then using an even finer sanding pad (as they're flexible) to finish off.
Spraying took only a few mins, but it's the waiting inbetween coats that adds the time... 15 mins between each coat of the same type of paint, then 24 hours between different types. ie. primer to main colour, main colour to laquer.

Davehughes said:
very nice did you use a strong strenght laquer so u can clean them with the acid cleaner ?

Not that I know of I'm afraid. Just picked up 'laquer' from the shelf. It might be the good stuff, but I can't see it...!

Thanks for all the positive comments anyway guys!

Alfa Romeo 156 Lusso
looks spot on Dave... did you leave the tyre on whilst doing it? Is it a bit more difficult to do if so?

Yeah, just used some low tack masking tape and newspaper, made sure all the tyre was fully wrapped. Got them all done in two days then sold them on sunday

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
fair play to doing that with cans!!!
Lookis really good. (better than how my bmx turned out when i painted it in my shed about 15 years ago!)