ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v - which discs and pads

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Need new discs front and rear. On a bit of a budget so cant go mad but without choosing renualt parts what could i go for?

Obviously on the rear i wont need that good stuff as only 20% of braking is used there. I got a quote on EBC front discs of £48 and green stuff pads £24 what are they like?

CHEERS

Ben what is the differnce between OE discs and the maxtorque ones?

i suffered brkae fade once, and never ever want to experience it again!

Trophy

Aaron,

I really rate my EBCs and dont know what everyone else is complaining about!

Good perfromance and an even better price.

Mat.

Yep, get the GpN or drilled/grooved/both maxtorque disks and some mintex pads. Coupled with some goodridge hoses,good tyres and correct geometry, you will stop very very quickly!

Then just replace your rears with standard parts so everything is new again.

Cliocup where did you source your bits from? could you reccomend anywhere better to get the bits from?

what "dot" brake fluid are you using?

and how tricky is it to fit it all?

im worried about excessive pumping of the brakes when changing the fluid because im told its this that wrecks the cylinder rubbers or something, i can borrow a strainer to remove the old fluid but i will still need to pump the new fluid,

the point i am tryuing to make is that pumping the pedal right the way to the bottom loads of time where it hasn;t been done for years (and shouldnt be) it knackers the cylinder seals,

am i worried about nothing, i reckon i must be able to get away with pumping the brakes half way and taking a bit longer doing it

any ideas?

Willy2

I got standard discs and pads on the back, I am considering getiing brembo maxs for the front, they are just groved not drilled. Does anyone know what they are like? I did check the local ripspeed and they do red dot brakes for about £150 and these has 20 point grooves, but these looked like they would shred pads to bits in no time. Please give us some info as the end of the month is nearing and i do wanna get it done;)

Lofty,

Got my front brake parts from http://www.RALDESWWW.RALDES.CO.UK

Go to the blackmax icon on the left and it will load a photocopied page from their catalogue (bit hard to see in places). It will be easier to call them and get a catalogue sent to you i think.

The GpN disks which are plain are about £35 + VAT a pair. Grooved are about £60 + VAT and D&G are about £65 + VAT. I got the D&G ones and have had them for over a year, no scoreing or marking or overheating at all.

Pads, you can get cheapish blackmax ones for about £15 +VAT. I got these to start with and they proved very good, no real fade but i havnt used them on a track. You can get Mintex ones (1144) i think, about £30 + VAT. i will be getting these soon i think.

I also ordered some goodridge hoses (made to order, so about 2 weeks delivery). This helps no end. About £40 i think.

Havnt heard about damaged m/cylinders. I just drained out all my fuild, changed all the parts inc bearings and re-filled and bled system with dot 4.1 fluid. Not sure if i should use dot 5.1 or not. Probably not for winter when you use brakes less harshly. If i still have clio in spring will do another fluid change.

I think BB tuning and Hill power do brakes. Also eurocar parts do ATE grooves disks very cheap. not used these so cant really comment.

Hope this helps mate!

not too hard to change it all, just grab a haynes manual and take your time. get another pair of hands whilst bleeding system. If you do the rears, youll have to get new bearings anyway, so get these pressed in. My local parts place did this for me for nothing.

Ive had no m/cylinder problems and no fluid loss at all.

Ive got the Maxtorque GrN D+G jobbies at the front with standard discs at the rear and Mintex pads all round, can speak highly enough of them.

My next upgrade is gonna be to get some Willwood 4-pots at the front on my current discs, the calipers are a straight swop with the OE ones and are only 280 quid a pair, with Goodridge hoses and decent tyres, Il be able to stop on a dime, wherever whenever.

WTF>>>>>>why do my pics never work!!!

anyhow, they are good cheap and reliable......

as for brake flud, you need no more than the dot 4.1 stuff......dont bother with 5 or 5.1 stuff for the road. the best i feel is castrol response super 4.1.........true its only fluid, buts its about all you will need.

Lofty, i can help with the brakes if you wish, i have all the bleeding equipment etc........

BMW 320d Sport

I run Black Diamond combis on the front with Ferodo DS2000 pads all round, steel hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid. Its never let me down so far, on the road or on the track. Ive been wanting to get rid of those BD discs for ages cos theyre ugly and small, but the damn things never wear out! BTW the Ferodos are superb pads but avoid them like the plague if you dont like cleaning your alloys. They also wear down fairly quick if you give them stick and theyre not cheap either. But then again, the way I see it, Id rather replace my pads more often and pay more each time, and know that when I need to, Im gonna stop dead and not end up in a ditch. Not that Ive done that for at least 10 years!

EBC have mixed reports, Mat is happy with his and loads of people are as well. Some people have had real bad experiences with EBC discs and pads. Ive not tried either but they do seem fairly cheap.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Watch out for EBC prices. Price is per disk and not a pair which seems stupid.

I got Tarox G88 40 groove disks which were £120 from Prima inc VAT. Hopefully getting to fit them this weekend if weather is better than last.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Just ordered the maxtorque discs and mintex 1144 pads - should be interesting! a extremely good price as well!!

have fun mate!

but bed them in....i didnt and i warped them....well, i hated my green stuff so i got them red by driving on teh brakes (bloody hard to get red hot)....was funny, but i replace everythign so it didnt matter.....

Anyone had troubles with cracking round the drillings?

My ebc turbo groove discs are very good, chose pagid pads though as the bad reports about EBC seem to be about the greenstuff pads.