ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 v 197 any true stories

Black 197
Ive only been a visitor on here for a short period of time, and I can gather that the opinion is that 197's are slower than 17 or 182's. Has anyone actually got any true stories of on the road or track where these cars have gone head to head? I suppose from owners of all 3 to get un biased stories. I am an ex 172 owner and think the 172 feels faster, but the 197 speedo seems to show the numbers that suprises me sometimes.........

Scirocco GT 210
Only had a quick test drive of a 197, didnt feel quite as quick as my 172 although it did come alive at 7krpm. Shame the limiter is 7.5k.

As for 197s on the road, I've never even seen one. :S All I see is chav'd up base clios!

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Me and my mate had a 197 for a day as his work had a demonstator. We had a standard 197 against my standard 182 and there is fack all in it straight line. The 182 might have just nudged it, but one thing my mate said is that he was having to work the b*****d!!!! Up the gears etc. The 197 is a very mice car mind :)

Clio 172 (53)
I have the newer shape 172 and i have been up again the old 172 and the 182 just for a bit of fun i out run the 172 and there was no dif between me and the 182. i can say that the old shape 172 feels more raw to drive but the new is more fun. As for the 197 not meet one yet but looking forward to it!

182BG
197's aren't as slow as people make out. Yes it does feel a little bit "tamer" but until you compare side by side with the other 1*2's, most are suprised

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
spot on! They feel a bit flatter to drive (less brutal) but in reality they are pretty much on the same level

Black 197
Im glad you are all saying this, because Im starting to feel that the 197 just feels slower, but in fact its about the same. But it also proves that the extra power is just to cover the extra weight. Ive just had a blast now back from shopping and again it dont feel that quick but the speedo still rockets up, and I have noticed that it nudges 70 in 2nd gear which my 172 didnt do, but how easy it hits the limiter!! aaarrgh!!

Clio 197
Foxon and myself had a race earlier (on private road obvioulsy lol) and there not a lot in it, his slightly got the upper hand but he's got a 172 cup that aint standard.

SMURF!!!
Only had a quick test drive of a 197, didnt feel quite as quick as my 172 although it did come alive at 7krpm. Shame the limiter is 7.5k.

Mine doesnt limit at 7.5k in fact thats normally when the green shift light comes on :approve:

I think the 197 is quite slow to pull away, i often have trouble at junctions and roundabouts cos i dont rev it enough, but as soon as you get it to second it just flies!!!!

I remember when i brought it home the first day i got it... thought this is nice, lets put my foot down and go a bit faster, but thought id check the dial first and i was already over the speed limit on the motorway, it doesnt feel quick but it sure damn is!

my only experience of one was handing him his arse in spectacular fashion as he decided to sit on my bumper for about a mile. There was only a few car lengths in it though... per gear

Tangoed Works
yeah more lard = bigger press on go pedal to move away from lights. Have to keep working this one which is in character for a hot hatch. I love my 182 though. The way the power and torque feel lazy so you can cruise at 30mph in 5th at 1600 rpm and still have pull if you need to press on a little bit.

3 MPS
Im glad you are all saying this, because Im starting to feel that the 197 just feels slower, but in fact its about the same. But it also proves that the extra power is just to cover the extra weight. Ive just had a blast now back from shopping and again it dont feel that quick but the speedo still rockets up, and I have noticed that it nudges 70 in 2nd gear which my 172 didnt do, but how easy it hits the limiter!! aaarrgh!!

im always hitting mine , can,t be good for it mind lol

178hp 172 Cup
i hav driven my 172 cup, g'f's 182 and a 197 demo car!!! the 197 felt noticably slower than the 182 but hav never had one side by side so cannot say if it is slower for definate!! however the cup feels the quicker car out of all 3 IMO!!! its more responsive for sure!!

gotta say though that the 197 does handle well, no sign of understeer from it at all ( but i do like a bit of understeer ;) ) and the brakes are really sharpe!!!