ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cat to Manifold join - blowing

SQ5
Fitted a cat yesterday to replace decat, nice an easy on your back on the drive....

Started car up all is fine, drive off the drive and up road and still, all is fine. When I put my foot down and u dear some load it's blowing like f**k from that joint.

What have I missed or done wrong?

Fixings go. Bolt > Cupped bolt seat > manifold > cat > spring > washer/cup > bolt.

I'm not looking forward to fixing this..

@dmallett

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Should go like this dan.

816c38363591c6e4e7333652ee5dd4c6.jpg

edb7436a1a8145034165a08b8ec43a85.jpg

SQ5
That's a 182 one, looks exactly like that join though just further up, I just put everything back on that came off

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah it is mate, makes no difference though.
The order of parts stays the same dan.

SQ5
Of course I didn't! Ha! But the old one never blew with the same bits.

The nuts got as far as they could on the bolts.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Id say that's going to be your problem.
The old one has spent years in one position and the 2 part's have worn in together.

You have now taken it to bit's and fitted a cat that doesn't mate with the old gasket.

Motorspares sell them apparently.

I re-use kits lol, last one the washer had broke down & that was the cause!

IMG_4732.jpg

If your struggling I'll come help you fit a new one if you get one, I don't have any spares now!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You could try taking it off and cleaning up the mating face of the cat and fit it back.

Thing is though that it's not the best job to do.
Id rather take it off and fit a new kit.

SQ5
Motorspares sell them apparently.

I re-use kits lol, last one the washer had broke down & that was the cause!

IMG_4732.jpg

If your struggling I'll come help you fit a new one if you get one, I don't have any spares now!

I actually sold you a brand new one in my job lot of spares lol!

I'll hold you to that, Thursday night if I can get one in time? I've got access to a pit too in Stanton which helps A LOT!

Renault mate, about £18.

Don't go buying ebay s**t.

I wouldn't dream of it! Are they £18 in a normal one or Wolverhampton on here? Probably don't have one on the shelf at Rawlinson, they're getting worse!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I've only ever used Adam mate, get one ordered now and you will have it by Tuesday.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Got to love changing the bolts on a 172. Right piss take.

I sellotaped the sprint and cup with nut together and from under screws the whole lot onto the bolt. Made it for easy gripping as only had to hold the spring to do the nut up before I used a socket on it :)