ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup ball joints

172 Cup
Hi folks, wonder if anyone can help me, Ive just replaced the passenger bottom ball joint and the bolts that came with the new ball joint are 12mm and the ones on my car are only 10mm.

Ive done a lot of reading past threads about ball joints and see that everyone seems to say that RS wishbones use 12mm bolts.

I have fitted the new ball joint with the original 10mm bolts as the new ones wont fit through the holes in the wishbones but is this adviseable? I dont want to be altering the geometry any.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

PS. Would making the wishbone holes bigger be an option or a bit too much of a bodge?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Pretty sure they're meant to be 12mm ball joints....will check Monday thoguh but 99.9% sure they are.

172 Cup
No, the bolts I took out of the original ( well I think they are original as they are very old looking) are 10mm. The ones I got in the new BJ kit are 12mm as I am reading they should be. I find this very confusing, its my first clio ( im used to peugeot's mainly)

So I have re-used the 10mm ones as they fit through the 2 holes in the wishbone but am worried that the BJ will slip as there will be 2mm of difference all round.

172 Cup
Tell me about it, its just typical, nothing is ever simple. Im wondering if its needed wishbone bushes at some point and someone has just gone out and bought any kind of wishbone?

Do lesser non-sport models have the same kind of ARB? or are there holes for both on every wishbone?

Lionel Richie
non sport lower arms are completley different to RS items (where the ARB attaches) just get a new arm, comes with ball joint and is about £55 per side from the dealer

172 Cup
Already done now and seems fine. Gonna wait until ive fitted my apex springs, TRE's and pure topmount/strutbrace combo until I get the allignment checked but it seems quite a bit tighter now :)

monaco172 and ph1 172
Thanks Fred, luckily I did some research first and saw all you guys slate them so I have just ordered some Eibach sportlines instead :)

Danny, the drivers side was "normal"? with 12mm holes so that side was fine. Ever since I got the car though, Ive noticed that the passenger side has sat slightly higher than the drivers side. I'm now starting to wonder if someone has replaced the full suspension on the pass side for a non cup setup.

Anyway, it will all be sorted soon enough :)

172 Cup
Thanks Fred, luckily I did some research first and saw all you guys slate them so I have just ordered some Eibach sportlines instead :)

Danny, the drivers side was "normal"? with 12mm holes so that side was fine. Ever since I got the car though, Ive noticed that the passenger side has sat slightly higher than the drivers side. I'm now starting to wonder if someone has replaced the full suspension on the pass side for a non cup setup.

Anyway, it will all be sorted soon enough :)