ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup. Investment? Where are prices going?

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
In all seriousness, the 172 Cup has always been overlooked and been in the shadows of the Trophy. As time goes by, I think the 172 Cup will be appreciated more, and will be sought out by people wanting the rawest possible experience, I expect values to reflect that.

I also think 172/182 prices will go one way aswell. Having spent the last few weeks looking for a fun fast(ish) hot hatch for everyday use it's made me see what a bargain car these are! Might just end up getting a second one..

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
Great to have a look back several years at people's predictions on prices :) It seems values went far beyond what everyone expected!
I wonder where prices for well kept cups will be in another 5 years... Predictions below please 😂
Certainly wish I had pulled the trigger and got one 5 years ago 😂

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had a really tidy/genuine one, although a bit higher miles and sold it about 6yrs ago, think I eventually got £1500 for it after a month or more of advertising

Ben02

ClioSport Club Member
I'm preparing to fit engine number 3 to it so lets just leave it at that :ROFLMAO:
I know how it feels. The gearbox in my car started whining 500 miles after I bought it. It was then refurbished but done incorrectly. The place that did it offered to put it right but I didn't really trust them to do so.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Great to have a look back several years at people's predictions on prices :) It seems values went far beyond what everyone expected!
I wonder where prices for well kept cups will be in another 5 years... Predictions below please 😂
There are still too many 1*2's on the road in poor condition. Once these vehicles are either written off, converted into track cars, or broken down, the number of cars in good condition will naturally decrease. As a result, the lower mileage cars will become more valuable and command higher prices, but even higher mileage well-maintained cars will still fetch a premium.

Personally, I feel a sense of satisfaction whenever I come across one of these cars that has been broken or written off. It's like a small victory :ROFLMAO:

That said, the climate agenda will undoubtedly have an impact on the future of these cars. Increased environmental concerns may lead to stricter regulations or taxes, which could push them off the road sooner than anticipated. As a result, perhaps cars may become sought-after pieces for wealthy collectors 🤷‍♂️

Interestingly, I noticed that many people tried to sell their cars when petrol prices were nearly £2 a litre, likely influenced by the growing uncertainty surrounding their future. I guess these factors will shape the fate of these cars in the coming years.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm also not sure you could call one of these a proper investment yet, they're ultimately not cheap cars to maintain, even if you don't drive them all that much. I'm sure maintenance would outstrip any appreciation gains. I'd love to be proved wrong though!
Assuming you maintain it at all and don't just lock it away for a decade and recommission I suppose.

The best way IMO is just to drive, maintain and enjoy. I think these cars were too well rust proofed (not immune I know) compared to their contemporaries for all that many to die in the next 5 years or so. I expect it will be 10 years before they're a proper appreciating classic. Although I do think when everyone's eventually forced to buy electric (sceptical about 2030) though that demand for cars like these will get a lot higher. I'm sure there will be far fewer about by then too.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I'm also not sure you could call one of these a proper investment yet, they're ultimately not cheap cars to maintain, even if you don't drive them all that much. I'm sure maintenance would outstrip any appreciation gains. I'd love to be proved wrong though!
Assuming you maintain it at all and don't just lock it away for a decade and recommission I suppose.

The best way IMO is just to drive, maintain and enjoy. I think these cars were too well rust proofed (not immune I know) compared to their contemporaries for all that many to die in the next 5 years or so. I expect it will be 10 years before they're a proper appreciating classic. Although I do think when everyone's eventually forced to buy electric (sceptical about 2030) though that demand for cars like these will get a lot higher. I'm sure there will be far fewer about by then too.
Currently, I'll have to get 11k for mine to get a ROI. And I'm still spending on it 💰
🤦‍♂️

I'm just going to drive and enjoy mine when the sun's shining. Somebody can take it off my hands when/if I'm finally done with it.

I've thrown more money away on R's, N's, GTi's, tbh

I had a really tidy/genuine one, although a bit higher miles and sold it about 6yrs ago, think I eventually got £1500 for it after a month or more of advertising

Currently, I'll have to get 11k for mine to get a ROI. And I'm still spending on it 💰
🤦‍♂️

I'm just going to drive and enjoy mine when the sun's shining. Somebody can take it off my hands when/if I'm finally done with it.

I've thrown more money away on R's, N's, GTi's, tbh
That's exactly my plan. Paid over the odds for low miles (28k) plan to use it on nice days/evenings/when the mood suits, keep in tip top condition and it will still be relatively low mileage when I'm done with it.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

Have to disagree...they are really cheap to run imo.

And why they still appeal to alot of folk, cheap fun motoring.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I probably didn't word that right, what I mean is relative to the price of the car, cheap compared to more expensive metal, absolutely.
A belt service alone is £600+, that's a fair portion of the whole value of the car, add in a service every year and a couple of faults to fix, you could easily spend 1/3rd of the price of the car in a few years. Could easily wipe out appreciation gains if you had one as an investment.
Once they're trophy money that £600 every 5 years isn't a big deal.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with that, if you want a car to enjoy and not loose money on it's not a bad move, I wouldn't call it an investment though.
Exactly, buy one to enjoy it, if it appreciates and helps with the overall cost of ownership, great. Prices are definitely going up and should continue to, so helps with the man maths at least. Just doubtful that they'll be "investment" class buys for a good few years yet.

Exactly, buy one to enjoy it, if it appreciates and helps with the overall cost of ownership, great. Prices are definitely going up and should continue to, so helps with the man maths at least. Just doubtful that they'll be "investment" class buys for a good few years yet.
I think this is on point for a lot of people? Whenever I look for a new car I always take time to consider depreciation, I think owning a fast depreciating car dampens ownership.
Since my last cup I've tried a ep3, M2, GR Yaris, Gr86. For me what the Clio offers in terms of affordable fun is on another level!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
paid a grand for my cup 6yrs ago, they were dirt cheap back then, but even then it was cheap, was due belts etc.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I love my cup - current list of things to sort

Power steering is making a really bad noise 😱(only just started)

Need to get the wheels re done in really good silver

Bonnet needs a spray

Arches need looking at

After that it’s going to be great and I can just enjoy it

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
With me being in the Motor-trade for over 35yrs it really hard for my head to lose money on cars - however the bug came across me when I bought a Trophy two years ago and started recommissioning it - maybe I was a little bit naive at how much it costs to bring them back to life but when you have started they must be finished which I’ve finally done now - I’ve really enjoyed the battle finding rare parts etc to bring it up to a great standard however I’m now thinking it would have been best left untouched and probably more profitable as In my view I think there has been a little drop off in prices recently across the board on most cars and with the cost of living / interest rates digging in will they stabilise or keep going -

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Sold my Cup for about £2400 5 years ago. It was stunning but needed belts doing and was on 97k miles I think.
That being said I would be asking at least £4k for that today for sure.
will it be worth £8-£10k in another 5 years?
IMG_0282.jpeg

Nobby87

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
I recently paid £8k for a 2 owner, 54plate 182 cup on 55k. The prices definitely are increasing dramatically for clean examples.

I've since spent £1.7k on a paint correction and 9 year ceramic coat, so I think it'll be a while before I can call it a great investment!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Aye a 172 Cup it was not.

Weren't they pretty cheap when released as well? Compared to the 182 I mean, so they sold well.

Nobby87

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Especially with a 182 cup! Low miles but they were always the least desirable!
Definitely agree and I did want a 172 originally, but It was the rb colour that sold it to me. Well that and the fact I couldn't find a low mile 172.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with that, if you want a car to enjoy and not loose money on it's not a bad move, I wouldn't call it an investment though.

This is how I looked at with mine when I bought it. If I can sell in a year or 2 for the price I paid then that's a win in my book. Just the cost of maintenance.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
My high mileage clio certainly is no money pit but its not an investment. I bought a blue clio 172 cup with 90k+ miles in 2017 for under £2k I spent £1.5k getting it in good shape and maintaining it I then sold it a year and a bit later due to moving house for £2.5k I then bought the exact same car back in mid 2022 (so i`ve been the owner twice) for £3.5k and spent about £500 so far on maintenance but the cambelt will be due (age) very soon. It's on 115K i see similar cars sell for £4k-£5k I dont think its a good investment for someone looking to make money but Its the best value sporty car for the price. To put it into perspective our main family car lost £10k in value over 3 years.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Standard parts are getting more expensive too, I've just paid £100 for a used plastic lower timing belt cover, air boxes seem to have tripled in value too.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
cars are almost never investments.

You buy, own, service. maintain, tax, mot, insure or risk losing history..

Dealers say “this cars only going up in value” or “I’m thinking about keeping this one”

But… they never do, because making money is about buying low and selling high, fast..

Cars are not investments..

If someone is buying wants a mint low miler, buy a new car and keep it.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
cars are almost never investments.

You buy, own, service. maintain, tax, mot, insure or risk losing history..

Dealers say “this cars only going up in value” or “I’m thinking about keeping this one”

But… they never do, because making money is about buying low and selling high, fast..

Cars are not investments..

If someone is buying wants a mint low miler, buy a new car and keep it.

Not sure about that. I think the right car can be.

My theory when my mate was asking years ago was R34 GTR’s would be a good investment (when they were circa £25k). Evo 5’s would be good news too. I found my mate a mint Evo 5 coming up for 3 years ago and I’d say it’d sell for £10k-£15k more than he paid. It’s pretty much sat in his garage with the odd Sunday meet.

A friend of mine bought a lot of cars as investments while interest rates were low (people look to objects as investments in this case IMO). He sold just one the other day for £90k more than he paid for it.

I do however think you can hold onto them too long and we’re nowhere near in the peak selling era anymore. Interest rates going up is going to stop people buying cars and others will need to offload cars and that’ll only make matters worse too.