ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup SC Vs 197 Cup

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Could not resist another one.

IMG_2987.jpg

mso

172 cup supercharged
LOL calm down dear. It was a question. Hence the question mark. I'm very surprised (for the reason I stated) but I take your word for it.

It just gets annoying when other people seem to run down the sc kit when they have no experience of it, like I said before if the kit was a waste of money I would be the first person slagging off the tuners who fitted it and robbed me off 4 grand, but as it happens it's worth every penny get yourself a go in one!!!!!!

I can only talk about my car and I am more than happy with it, I did have some small problems at the start mainly juddering when cold but that's sorted out now, last time on RR it made 255bhp it just seems strange that other people have had problems with there's when mine has been 100% ok !!!!!

As me and Warren can only comment on the one we've seen, and it was shocking.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when it cut out.

It may not be a reflection on all SC'd clio's, in fact I'm sure it isn't. But when spending that much money, it should be 95% spot on from day one. People get annoyed when they buy a whole car for 6k and it consistently has issues. I wouldn't want to spend several k on a conversion when several seem to have had issues.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

It may not be a reflection on all SC'd clio's, in fact I'm sure it isn't. But when spending that much money, it should be 95% spot on from day one. People get annoyed when they buy a whole car for 6k and it consistently has issues. I wouldn't want to spend several k on a conversion when several seem to have had issues.

Who did said conversion then?

Last edited:

mso

172 cup supercharged

100% agree with you but like I said when they are right it's worth the money!!! Thats what I can't understand with the sc Clio which was done 2 wks before mine, at the same place is having so many problems is it the case the more they do the better they are doing them !!!!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
100% agree with you but like I said when they are right it's worth the money!!! Thats what I can't understand with the sc Clio which was done 2 wks before mine, at the same place is having so many problems is it the case the more they do the better they are doing them !!!!!
Well afaik it's already been back to be sorted. And still isn't. More likely they got lucky with yours;).

RS RIP
Someone has commented a couple of comments back on the JMS inlet, a cheaper option that will get you around 200. Almost TB power. Look into that !
Supercharging your 172 will be a dissapointment from what i've read.

535d / t5 caravelle

i see another one for sale so soon after the conversion, how come?

There was a guy on here recently bleating on about how his SC172 was faster than 400bhp Focus RS'.

Rightly so I thought (with reservations). IIRC it eventually blew up.

williams and trophy
Was his old username Jesus?

yes mate...his car was quick after he had the charger fitted, a dew probs and a top end rebuild later was still quick....top end. day to dat driving of the thing was shocking tho.

soon got that sorted by a trip to chip wizards, made a hell of a diff in drivability, and came out with about same power at the wheels as the fly fig when it went in.....obviously the guy who mapped it previously didnt really know what he was doing.......still had a few issues with the charger bracket, ecu housing etc etc....bit of a shoddy job tbh......but very quick.

and yes.....itd well n truly slaughter an r26......personally i find the the meg r26 a little boring to drive....here comes a corner,....throw it in....and come out the other end without any hassles........not exactly adrenaline inducing tbh.

172 cup
Im against getting a SC kit now, the Clios staying NA and I'm going to get something nice to drive on my days off :)

I think had I went through with it I'd of loved it still.

mso

172 cup supercharged
i see another one for sale so soon after the conversion, how come?

I'm selling mine simply because I want something different my car has been 100% reliable and well looked after. These kits are safe and reliable on these cars when done right. Remember Ktec and the like are the experts not us, someone else has had a problem with there's which is being sorted and I bet it's something stupid and easily fixed and not connected with the sc kit, how many standard cars on here have had problems. I'll gladly give anyone a go in mine just to show them what they are really like !!!

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Go jap! i fully intend to live out my teenage dream of a 400bhp - 500bhp rx7 next year when i turn 25. Clios are fun little cars but if you are after more power move on! Plus rwd is alot more fun that fwd :D well imo anyway.

Ive been there tho not with huge power. Prefered the cup tbh. where are you gonna use 400bhp? Pub bragging ftl

I'm selling mine simply because I want something different my car has been 100% reliable and well looked after. These kits are safe and reliable on these cars when done right. Remember Ktec and the like are the experts not us, someone else has had a problem with there's which is being sorted and I bet it's something stupid and easily fixed and not connected with the sc kit, how many standard cars on here have had problems. I'll gladly give anyone a go in mine just to show them what they are really like !!!

I'm sure there was a LOT wrong that was to do with the supercharger kit.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I really wouldn't comment on something you haven't seen.

Evo 5 RS
People do things for different reasons. A boosted clio although something to admire I wouldn't want to own one - personally...!

Throttle bodies put emphasis on what the RS is about, and improve drivability so IMO if you wanted to do anything in that price range and to the engine, do that.
Saying that, If you're genuinely after something that isn't NA I would go with the masses and get an R26/225. It's a marmite thing

Also, I've seen some bolt on handy work too - and 90% of the time it's just a right f'ing mess. So just make sure you do a little research. I wish I had :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'd really like to know who these company's are, I dont understand why people will tell the story but not tell you who the company is, pretty pointless as it will save other people from being disapointed.

The only car I heard that ran right was the monaco blue done by Rs tuning, forgot the lads name but he painted it white.

Any others have just been horror story's. Even still you dont get to find out who did the bad workmanship

As far as I'm aware there were 2 companys offering the SC kit, RS tuning and GDI, GDI merged with k-tec so now k-tec offer the SC kit, so there is only two to choose from and going by the usual slaughtering of k-tec I'm guessing the majority of problems are coming from them......I could be wrong though :p

The reason me and Brown Bear arent naming names is because as far as I know the lads car is still there trying to have these issues resolved, so dont see it fair to the owner of the car.

Peugeot 308
I'd go for a Meggy tbh!

Id love to get my Ph1 S/C'd, and would happily do that over buying a 197.

Backing the megane on this one though, much more potential and imo a better looking car.

mso

172 cup supercharged
I really wouldn't comment on something you haven't seen.

I saw his car when it was first done before he picked it up it looked very good to me it was then I decided to get mine done. Apart from a little bit of juddering when the car was cold my car ran perfect, that juddering has since been put right. That was 6 months ago and well over 4000 miles without a single problem. Talk to the experts like Ktec or Rs tuning about superchargers and they will tell you everything you need to know first hand

I'm sure I read that the biggest potential problem was that the load can cause the pulley to slip, bugger up your cam timing and potentially smash holes in the pistons. Not sure if that's an accurate description but it sounds a bit dodge viper to me.

mso

172 cup supercharged
I'm sure I read that the biggest potential problem was that the load can cause the pulley to slip, bugger up your cam timing and potentially smash holes in the pistons. Not sure if that's an accurate description but it sounds a bit dodge viper to me.

Mine has been fitted with a locking pulley so no slipping !!!!!!

Ahh cool n the gang. No need to get excited dude. I'm not judging the conversion in any respect. I know nothing about them.

mso, all I can say is you didnt look closely enough, or, and this is no slur on you, didnt know what you were looking at enough to see whats wrong with it.

mso

172 cup supercharged
mso, all I can say is you didnt look closely enough, or, and this is no slur on you, didnt know what you were looking at enough to see whats wrong with it.

I saw it when it was first done even went out in it as passenger when they test drove it, it went like stink drove smoothly very impressed that's what made me have it done, if it was crap then I would not have had mine done. Don't know or how things went downhill from there all that I know is mine has been fine for last 6 months.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

You reckon? I'd call them middle men tbh. They just rebrand things........ and hike up the price (massively) imo

TBF I recall that the guy who was banging on about smashing every other car on the road also mentioned that his had been fine for x months. He quickly went quiet ;)