ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Sprint/Track car

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I thought I would share some photos of my car with you all. As I'm finally pleased with how it's come together.

Had this Cup four years and taken her out 5 times! Going out tomorrow to Pembrey for an MLR Sprint, so looking forward to that.

2015-04-09 19.28.42.jpg
2015-04-09 19.36.26.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Five times in four years? You mean on track or on the road? Assuming not the latter lol. I thought I was bad driving mine once a week

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Car felt great. First dry outing on the new setup with Bilsteins, camber and PMS shifter. Felt like a different car.
I personally struggled to find time during the day after a good start. My mate was sharing the car with me and he got quicker and quicker.

Great events and very cheap to enter.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Boy, this is like déjà vu for me, I've also done 4xTD's and 2xsprints so far this year with a similar new build (will one day find time to do build thread)

Good looking car and pics, the PMS is great I agree, I'm also now researching an LSD after my last sprint, let us know what you decide on.

Guessing you might be in modified prod class unless you put the seats and interior trim back in?

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I bought the car standard in 2011 and have carried out the following modifications;

Bilstein Coilovers with solid top mounts
Camber Bolts -2.25 1.5mm toe out (please advise if I should try an alternative)
Strut brace front and rear
DS2500 front pads, braided lines and drilled discs
BMC CDA air filter
K tec manifold back exhaust with carbon trim in bumper
Ktec engine mounts and Powerflex Dogbone
PMS Shifter kit
PMS Stud kit
OMP Seat and Sabelt harness, welded seat rails
6 point cage fully welded (was a sparco or OMP from memory)
15 x 7 OZ F1's with Toyo R1R
Fabricated Oil catch tank
Ali Bonnet pins

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's just a guest class where you can run anything. So you compete against a variety of different cars.
Interesting. What's the costs like to enter? Do you have to have fire extinguishers/engine cut offs, or is it relatively relaxed? I can't see it mentioned in your spec list, so I'm assuming not. I quite fancy having a crack at it.

172 Cup
Car looks good dude!! That cups serving me well....cleaned up nicely after a good wash.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Gripper is awesome for sprints and hillclimbs!!
(2014 - 2nd overall Chester and Liverpool division 2 speed championship, 3rd overall Longton and District sprint and hillclimb championship)

Clio 172 (CUP)
I only hear good things about them and their benefits.

I also hear there's a quaiffe product too, any difference?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Quaife is an atb diff - automatic torque biasing, which means if one wheel spins, it transfers power to the other wheel. Very much better than standard and fit and forget ie no maintenance required.
Gripper diff is a friction plate type diff, which can be set a lot tighter, and as the name suggests it works with friction, although these generally give more traction, and even possible to continue driving with a broken driveshaft (to get out of a stage/off circuit), but they will need to be stripped and rebuilt periodically, depending on how often it is used.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks good dude!! That cups serving me well....cleaned up nicely after a good wash.
Hi Rob

Good to hear. Just needs the pipe and lambda and she's a good car in a rare colour!

Quaife is an atb diff - automatic torque biasing, which means if one wheel spins, it transfers power to the other wheel. Very much better than standard and fit and forget ie no maintenance required.
Gripper diff is a friction plate type diff, which can be set a lot tighter, and as the name suggests it works with friction, although these generally give more traction, and even possible to continue driving with a broken driveshaft (to get out of a stage/off circuit), but they will need to be stripped and rebuilt periodically, depending on how often it is used.

Doing a couple of track days a year will mean very infrequently I imagine.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Thanks for explaining.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Just renewing my membership and thought I would add the latest additions to the car:

A-tech North drivers seat
Flocked Dash
Air intake relocated behind headlight
Battery moved to boot
Clio Turbines

I'll upload some pics when I can.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Nice session on the car today. Updated thread for my benefit/reference.

New Aux belt, re-tensioned
Coolant replaced.
ECU remounted in engaine bay under air filter
Cable run to the rear of the car, just waiting on battery arriving this week.

Brake fluid change this week coming, Geo check, fit 16mm front spacers, RARB link preload, Source replacement driveshafts, change gear oil