ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup stored for 2 years. Now it won't start.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The Car has been stored for a while. So have decided to put it back on the road, however it will not start.

i have done some other work on the car, cam belt etc... While I did the work I cleaned up all the earths, checked the starter motor and fitted a new TDC sensor. Plus I fitted a new battery. However it still will not start.

When I turn the key the immobiliser turns off. I can hear the fuel pump prime and then a click ( sounds like it is from the glove box when you are in the car ). I have tried swapping the two smaller black relays over ( its a cup so there is only 2 ). I have done this because I think one is for the fuel pump and one the starter motor?? But I get the same result.

I was hoping for some ideas on what to try next? I have tried testing if the start motor is getting current when the key is turned. I am pretty sure it's not but I need to check it again in the morning. Assuming it is not, where should I check next? I have a multimeter so I can check voltages and current.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Not even trying to turn over. I feel that if it would turn over I would be able to sort it. With it like this I just have no idea where to start.

SQ5
Did you put the little cable back on the starter as well as the main one?

Also if its just clicking when you turn key it sounds like a flat battery.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
have you turnt the engine over by hand?
have you had it running in them 2 years

I have when I did the timing belt. It would start and run fine until about 6 - 8 months ago although the last couple of starts I had to rock it in gear then it would catch and fire. It was a little neglected if I am honest.

Didn't leave the cam locking tool on did you. Not helpful I know, but just a thought.

No I didn't. Tbh it is not even trying to turn over. ( off to check I haven't left the crank locking tool in! )

Did you put the little cable back on the starter as well as the main one?

Also if its just clicking when you turn key it sounds like a flat battery.

I did, but I will check again just in case.

I know it does. I will try jumping it again tomorrow. I have assumed new battery would be good. I will try it just in case but I think the battery is okay.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Give the starter moter a clout with a hammer and drift. May jolt the solenoid into life.

i will give it a go.

i have just remembered that there is a warning light which I forgot to mention, the orange dash light that looks like a heart beat monitor stays on! Not sure what it means?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yep. I don't really know why. I bought another car before I sold it. Then the day came to put it up for sale and I couldn't make myself do it. I love it! Couldn't afford to run 3 cars so I stored it away. It was stored in my garage for most of that. But the last part it was moved to my uncles and put outside. Which is not ideal but it was all I could do at the time.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
It's a 10 year old car. It's done 91k. It won't start. I have spent a load on replacement parts for it. Btb exhaust, koni's etc. I am mad but apart from the not starting I have enjoyed fitting everything. I am looking forward to driving it again.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Exactly. Once it is up and running I would like to build an engine for it. It's something I have always wanted to do. Maybe strip down a used one and rebuild something a little different. Not thought about it enough yet.

Focus
Not mechanically minded at all, but my 182 did this exactly the same, was a sticky starter, relay clicked etc, you tried push starting it?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I haven't tried push starting yet. Although I did the first time it didn't start a few months ago but no luck. I will try it if jumping it doesn't work.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Does anyone know what I should see between the starter and the positive terminal when I turn the key? I have had a multimeter between the two points? Current and voltage?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Also just want to make sure I have this right? Which relay is the starter motor one?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Now the starter is just making a buzzing. Seems to be getting power now. Got to be a step forward.