ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup tarmac rally build

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
You should see some more hp out of the old girl tomorrow mate, as it was mapped on the hottest day of the year at the time! Still sounds fuckin epic too!
The engine sounds epic mate and is a testament to your skills. We hope we have done it justice with the rest of the build and can't wait to see what she'll do.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The engine sounds epic mate and is a testament to your skills. We hope we have done it justice with the rest of the build and can't wait to see what she'll do.
That engine is, in my opinion, one of my finest achievements in terms of what I’ve built over the years mate. My cup was the culmination of what I’d learned over the years too. You’ve definitely done the engine justice with what you’ve built too mate. ?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Really looking forward to seeing this out. Basically a Clio R3 with a good chunk of weight saved - should be a right little weapon!

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
Well, that was a long day! Left East Yorkshire at 7am heading for a quick bit of shopping at Demon Tweeks before heading on to Efi. Bought 2 Simpson Hybrid HANS devices and a couple of other bits.
Got to Efi at 1pm to find that Chris had been double booked a.m and p.m so was really under pressure. He managed to accommodate everyone and at 9pm we were done, mapped and flatshift set up. Headline figures are 234bhp and 183 lb/ft, a small improvement over the figures when the engine was mapped in Mark's car but a fair bit extra low down. Chris is confident it would do 250bhp with a set of bodies on so that may be a route to be investigated over the winter, but it would be a shame to lose the carbon intake.
Can't wait to get it on track next Sunday for a test, it's been a long road but we are over the moon with the results. We have been fortunate to benefit from the exceptional expertise of Mark 'NorthloopCup' Mayfield and Chris @ Efi and hope to do it justice out on the stages.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Wow dream spec ?

Do you know what ignition cut delay you are running for the flat shift. We played it safe at 110ms on mine but have hear of people using as low as 80.

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
Wow dream spec ?

Do you know what ignition cut delay you are running for the flat shift. We played it safe at 110ms on mine but have hear of people using as low as 80.
I'm not sure to be fair, we just let Chris set it all, he did say he didn't go too extreme, wanted to make sure it was safe. It works brilliantly and that's all we were concerned with. Got suspension setup on Wednesday and then a bit of testing next Sunday.

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
I NEED that gearbox !!

Epic work !
Thankyou, they are a serious amount of money but by 9pm last night when we were strapping it back on the trailer, worth every penny. Hopefully after setup on Wednesday the suspension will also prove worth the investment

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well, that was a long day! Left East Yorkshire at 7am heading for a quick bit of shopping at Demon Tweeks before heading on to Efi. Bought 2 Simpson Hybrid HANS devices and a couple of other bits.
Got to Efi at 1pm to find that Chris had been double booked a.m and p.m so was really under pressure. He managed to accommodate everyone and at 9pm we were done, mapped and flatshift set up. Headline figures are 234bhp and 183 lb/ft, a small improvement over the figures when the engine was mapped in Mark's car but a fair bit extra low down. Chris is confident it would do 250bhp with a set of bodies on so that may be a route to be investigated over the winter, but it would be a shame to lose the carbon intake.
Can't wait to get it on track next Sunday for a test, it's been a long road but we are over the moon with the results. We have been fortunate to benefit from the exceptional expertise of Mark 'NorthloopCup' Mayfield and Chris @ Efi and hope to do it justice out on the stages.
View attachment 1422421
View attachment 1422422
Great results there mate! I’m over the fuckin moon! Always knew it had more in the tank as it was mapped on what was the hottest day of the year at the time.

Couple of important things to note though! It’s not specced for 250bhp. It’ll need the steel crank, rods and solid lifters. Potentially need some stronger valve springs too really. It may well make the numbers on a set of bodies (48mm +), but I can’t say how long it will reliably make those sorts of numbers.

But, flol at the speed of that shift! It sounds absolutely cracking, and on the road around the estate, it sounds as raucous as it did in my cup! Love it!

Been a long road, but the end is well and truly in sight now mate! ?

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
Great results there mate! I’m over the fuckin moon! Always knew it had more in the tank as it was mapped on what was the hottest day of the year at the time.

Couple of important things to note though! It’s not specced for 250bhp. It’ll need the steel crank, rods and solid lifters. Potentially need some stronger valve springs too really. It may well make the numbers on a set of bodies (48mm +), but I can’t say how long it will reliably make those sorts of numbers.

But, flol at the speed of that shift! It sounds absolutely cracking, and on the road around the estate, it sounds as raucous as it did in my cup! Love it!

Been a long road, but the end is well and truly in sight now mate! ?
Mate, it is beyond epic. We will probably stay with the engine as it is to be fair, at least for a while. Wouldn't want to lose reliability and certainly wouldn't do anything without having a chat with you first. I know Chris has seen the engine before but he absolutely loved the way it went with that box. It has been a long road mate, but it's got us to exactly where we hoped to be so that's all good. Thanks again pal, its mega ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Mate, it is beyond epic. We will probably stay with the engine as it is to be fair, at least for a while. Wouldn't want to lose reliability and certainly wouldn't do anything without having a chat with you first. I know Chris has seen the engine before but he absolutely loved the way it went with that box. It has been a long road mate, but it's got us to exactly where we hoped to be so that's all good. Thanks again pal, its mega ?
You’ll need to keep a close eye on oil temps too mate, as it’s in a completely different environment to what it was in when installed in my cup. Saenz steel rods will also be worth a consideration for longevity imo.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Amazing!! Everyone needs that in their life! Good luck on the stages. It’s a cracking build!!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That's mega. My new favourite CS car methinks. I loved @NorthloopCup's car, but the engine moving into this is next level. What type of flywheel is it running? I know it's a revvy engine and close ratio box, but the way the engine builds revs on the dyno is mental.

Can't wait to see it in action, should be a properly quick little car.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's mega. My new favourite CS car methinks. I loved @NorthloopCup's car, but the engine moving into this is next level. What type of flywheel is it running? I know it's a revvy engine and close ratio box, but the way the engine builds revs on the dyno is mental.

It’s running a pms 7.25” clutch/flywheel combo now, but I’m pretty sure they’re the same 2.9kg weight that the one I had fitted was.
The engine was built for this kind of car/box combo too.

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT

Thankyou, it's been a long road but we are over the moon with the result.
20190427_141223.jpg

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Brilliant! Bet you you can't wait to get on the stages now and have some fun. Good luck and possibly see you out on the stages some time.

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
Brilliant! Bet you you can't wait to get on the stages now and have some fun. Good luck and possibly see you out on the stages some time.
Thankyou, really looking forward to see how it goes on the stages. There are quite a few Clios out there rallying and I know of a few more being built so should be fun.

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
God i am in love........

Where are you testing on Sunday
Thanks, we are quite pleased with it too. We are just doing a trackday at Blyton, it was the closest, soonest venue available. We know the place well so can just get a feel for the car and make sure everything is ok.

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
Blyton My favorite track for the clio.

Well that gives me a dilema now, EFI for coffee and RR day or Blyton to come and see you in action and see this epic car in action

richard1764

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup, R33 GTR, UT
Blyton My favorite track for the clio.

Well that gives me a dilema now, EFI for coffee and RR day or Blyton to come and see you in action and see this epic car in action
Lol, decisions decisions. We were intending to go to the RR day if we hadn't have got the Clio done. If you decide to drop in to Blyton, come over and say hello, always good to meet another Clio enthusiast.

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
Lol, decisions decisions. We were intending to go to the RR day if we hadn't have got the Clio done. If you decide to drop in to Blyton, come over and say hello, always good to meet another Clio enthusiast.

I will see how this week pans out, if i come to Blyton i will defo find you
Thanks

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Thankyou, really looking forward to see how it goes on the stages. There are quite a few Clios out there rallying and I know of a few more being built so should be fun.
Definitely quite a few being built and hopefully my Clio in a different frock will be out before the end of the year to join all you Clio boys :).