ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup v Williams

SIERRA COSWORTH
Was reading old copy of autocar last night found full road test of the series 1 williams clio, was interesting reading, quite a nippy car back then, I should know I bought one ! was wondering if there was any road tests of the cup to compare performance figures, see how much improvement Renault made in performance over the 10 year gap !

SIERRA COSWORTH
Hi Ian, can you tell me, does the cup have the same gearbox and diff ratios as the williams ? why is it so hard to find performance figures, surely some body must have tested it !

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Autocar tested the 172 cup against the mini cooper s back in 2002. The performance figures from the test they did on the cup was 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and 0-100 in 16.9 seconds.

Nippy white cup
Most of the hardcore Willie owners I know say that the Cup is the next progression from the williams. They (williams) respond well to the usual basic mods and the uprated cams that most use iirc are the same/similar to the ones in the 172 so bring them up power wise. Handling is superb in the williams as is in the Cup but the williams has the bonus of being lighter as standard and can be stripped to a daft low weight making them awesome track cars

Chris

535d / t5 caravelle
Miss my willy, if it weren't for the s**t gearboxes i'd still have it lol, but i've found a good replacement :D

clio williams 2
i think my williams will keep up with a 172 cup. but who knows without an out 'n' drag for 0-60 who knows. but i would say the williams on country roads or track would be the better car. imo:rasp:

53 Clio's & counting
lol the willy owners will say willys better,cup owners will say the cups better

when in truth ph1's are better :rasp:

MCS R56
i think my williams will keep up with a 172 cup. but who knows without an out 'n' drag for 0-60 who knows. but i would say the williams on country roads or track would be the better car. imo:rasp:

0-60 don't mean very much and if you have a Williams for the 0-60, you are missing the whole point of it.

The Cup will win 0-60 and 0-100 but handling is where it gets interesting.

As far as Renault making improvements over the last 10 years, it seems they hit the nail on the head with the Williams, so maybe not too much. Weight is the issue these days and the Williams didn't have that problem.

Around a track or on B-roads, with the same driver, I would put my money on the Cup by a small margin. As for fun factor, well that might be different but still very close.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's a bit more complicated than what it looks on first glance.

I would say it is fair to say that the 172 and Cup deff has a bit of pace on a Williams. Not so much to 60 or even 80 but above that the mk2's are a bit quicker.

The Williams feels quicker due the lower rev limit and shorter gear ratios - hence the gear times are very quick. Whereas in the 172's you have longer ratios and a higher rev limiter. I think this is why when I first got in the 172 I didn't think it was that quick as you don't really have to put that much effort in - but they are a bit quicker tbf.

This may be due to Williams having tired engines and components as getting a Williams with a similar mileage and wear and tear to a Renault Sport is going to be tough.

However I can see that you have a Sierra Cosworth and maybe switching to a Cup maye detract from some of the fun of maintaining an older car...

Have a go in a couple and make your mind up from there.

ZX6R B1H
i thnk me and wigle are going to put a williams and a 172 against each other today hopefully. This is a std 61k willy vs a 110k 172 so i'll post the results on that later in the day :D

clio williams 2
0-60 don't mean very much and if you have a Williams for the 0-60, you are missing the whole point of it.

The Cup will win 0-60 and 0-100 but handling is where it gets interesting.

As far as Renault making improvements over the last 10 years, it seems they hit the nail on the head with the Williams, so maybe not too much. Weight is the issue these days and the Williams didn't have that problem.

Around a track or on B-roads, with the same driver, I would put my money on the Cup by a small margin. As for fun factor, well that might be different but still very close.

i know why i own a williams and it is nothing to do with the speed its a modern classic in my opinion and i dont like to drive the same old car as everyone else. i was just replying to a question and its only my opinion.

ZX6R B1H
i went for the old skool williams, It just felt right lol i pick it up tomorrow so i will see how it compares against the 172 on the way home. However the cult status, handeling and also the fact it looks like an hanimal won it over and i loved my 16v :D

MCS R56
i know why i own a williams and it is nothing to do with the speed its a modern classic in my opinion and i dont like to drive the same old car as everyone else. i was just replying to a question and its only my opinion.

Good for you.

SIERRA COSWORTH
Jamie, Don't think I would get rid of the cossie mate thats a summer car its now sorn, just remember what fun the williams was when I had it, fancy a cup for a change, back to a small hot hatch, just wondered what kind of performance difference there was between the two, if there is one !!

172 cup
Few months back when I had a go at the the quater mile there was a williams there aswell. Best i did in the cup was a 14.5 and the willy was doin late 15s.

Last edited:
  LY 200
Iv owned a good 2.0 williams engined valver and a 182 with cup packs for a good lengh of time and quite frankly there is nothing in it if you pit good car v good car performance wise.

I liked my old Valver for the aggressive looks, f**king comfortable seast and even slightly tweaked (filter and cat back system) it sounded like a monster......182 is the better car overall though as is probably the 172 cup.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 Cup's will be a bit quicker but the Williams has more character.

The performance gap is very small though, as long as the Williams is healthy. Certainly only a couple of car lengths to 100 and not enough to base a decision soley on.