ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup valve stem oil seals

RB 182
I'm looking at buying a Clio Cup to replace my Scooby, and i'm planning on going to look at one this weekend, but the advert says that it's had the valve stem oil seals replaced, the car has only done 69k.

My question is, are the oil seals a common problem? At such a mileage? Or has the car been hammered to within an inch of it's life for them to go at such a mileage?

Any help/info appreciated :)

lift number 1 @ btm
it's certainly not something that seems to get mentioned on here as a common fault.

do you have a link to an advert or a reg plate? someone here might know more about the car.

nimbus r27
ive just had this done on mine mate my 182 is at 73k!
dont see how its a bad thing dude mine had a full head rebuild aswell so atleast i know everything should be sweet fingers crossed lol!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
don't think it's a common fault but when a head gasket is replaced, most people change all the gaskets too - and the stem seals come in the head set.

BMW M5 & E36
Is the car on ebay from a trader in blackpool (i think it was) ?

If so, it's been posted about on here before, someone went for a look/drive and said to avoid. Can't remember exacts I'm afraid.

Lionel Richie
i've only seen it on cars that have a lack of regular servicing, had a 70K 182 in and they were knackered (along with other stuff)

My 172 is only only on about 57k and has been serviced regularly, but mine were leaking.

I've had running issues since my cams went in last year, so the head has just been rebuilt with new seals, valves, guides and uprated springs. I also decided to get some headwork done while it was apart.

I'm just hoping everything is okay when it goes back together and has been mapped

RB 182
Thanks guys.

Whiteley, that's the one yeah, thanks for that mate, will avoid now, saves me a 200 mile round trip.

Cheers :)